• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
number9

Isles will stay at the Coliseum

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

disappointing

Did you honestly think that the locals, who are already taxed to the brim, will be willing to shell out for a $400m arena because Wang doesn't have a clue how to run an NHL team? No thanks.

Lose a big-market team? Uncle Gary will not let it happen.

The Isles are not a big market team. That market is owned by the Rangers. My company is based on Long Island and I can tell you known of the people at my office care about the Isles....they are all Rangers fans.

Guest echos myron

Did you honestly think that the locals, who are already taxed to the brim, will be willing to shell out for a $400m arena because Wang doesn't have a clue how to run an NHL team? No thanks.

pretty sure there would be no new taxes introduced. i could be wrong though

Guest echos myron
Mangano says the average cost to taxpayers would be as little as $14 per year, though a state fiscal watchdog said the increase could be more than four times that amount.

$14 is obviously enough of a hike for those who aren't interested in a new arena.

If Grand Rapids proposed a tax hike to build an arena for a new basketball team, I know I'd vote it down.

The Isles are not a big market team. That market is owned by the Rangers. My company is based on Long Island and I can tell you known of the people at my office care about the Isles....they are all Rangers fans.

yeah everyone I know from long island loves the rangers lol

Guest echos myron

$14 is obviously enough of a hike for those who aren't interested in a new arena.

If Grand Rapids proposed a tax hike to build an arena for a new basketball team, I know I'd vote it down.

if the hypothetical basketball arena only caused a $14 raise in taxes, would that "hike" outweigh the possible economic boost provided by having that arena

if the hypothetical basketball arena only caused a $14 raise in taxes, would that "hike" outweigh the possible economic boost provided by having that arena

That initial raise of $14 would only increase after the completion of said arena, almost without a doubt. Additionally, if I'm thinking about myself alone, I wouldn't see anything but inflation from such an economic boost.

Say hello to your Kansas City Islanders!

Kansas City is all but dead as a potential relocation spot. Sprint Center is much too profitable as-is without a host team eating up 40-odd nights a year. Not dissimilar to ASG wanting the Thrashers out of Philips.

Its between Quebec or Kansas Missouri

Fixed that for ya.

The Sprint Center is a good fit for an NHL team, but I don't forsee it actually housing one. Not only because of Kabrok's statement that the arena is doing fine on it's own without an anchor team (although it is) but there's just zero drive for anyone in the area to want to buy the team. The city won't buy it like Glendale did with the Coyotes, and I don't see anyone really wanting to pony up to pay for the Isles.

Then of course, you get more league restructuring talk - etc etc and they already need to do it because of the Jets. I don't think the league would be too keen on having to do it yet again when the Islanders' arena agreement runs out.

Guest Shoreline

That's a disappointment.

I'm not disappointed. Nassau just saved quite a substantial amount on taxpayers financing private enterprise. Good for their citizens.

Lose a big-market team? Uncle Gary will not let it happen.

ikr

After Nassau County voters rejected a referendum to build a new arena for the Islanders, the Barclays Center being built in Brooklyn has emerged as a possible new home for the hockey team when its lease at Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.

For years, Barclays Center officials claimed the arena would be too small for pro hockey.

But, earlier this week, they confirmed the arena would actually be fitted with an NHL-regulation rink when it opens in September 2012.

And the NHL says it doesn’t have a minimum-seating requirement for arenas that its teams play in.

Barclays Center officials skated around questions about interest in the Islanders, but arena CEO Brett Yormark said "we hope to explore hockey opportunities in the future."

The arena holds 18,000 seats for basketball, and sources said it could hold about 14,500 seats for hockey.

The smallest seating capacity for an NHL team is 15,015 at the MTS Center in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Beginning this fall, it will be home to the Winnipeg Jets.

The Nassau Coliseum seats 16,234, but the Islanders averaged only 11,059 fans per game last season -- the worst in the NHL.

Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz says the team “belongs in Brooklyn.”

“We've got lots of hockey fans, and since we're technically still on Long Island, they can call themselves the 'Brooklyn Islanders,’” he said.

Barclays Center is also just a slap shot away from Islanders owner Charles Wang's alma mater, Brooklyn Technical HS in Fort Greene.

Some local officials privately said they could see Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who also owns 45 percent of the Barclays Center, potentially acquiring the Islanders to add 44-60 dates per year to help fill the arena.

A Prokhorov spokeswoman, however, said the Russian billionaire “has no interest in buying another sports team at this time.”

The arena currently is projected to host about 200 events annually, including Nets games.

Queens, Kansas City, Mo., Suffolk County and Canada have also been rumored as potential landing spots for the Islanders.

Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano yesterday said he still hopes to keep the club on Long Island.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/klyn_has_an_ice_shot_at_grabbing_NNT0brIHeSFnMfKMZEwj6K#ixzz1Tyikghet

As the Barclays Center is not too far from my apt. I would love the move.

Markowitz would love everything to be the "Brooklyn _____" If Brooklyn is technically still on the Isle... isn't Brooklyn still then in NY? His hard-on for Brooklyn is sometimes maddening.

Hell Marty, they're not the Manhattan Rangers.

Even though Uncle Gary has already done everything humanly possible, he's going to have to do even more to fulfill his dream; from ESPN :

Bettman said in a statement Tuesday that the league would work with the Islanders "to explore whatever options still may be available in light of what obviously is not a positive development. Our goal is for the team to remain on Long Island and we still hope that objective can be realized."

Agreed. The last thing the people of Long Island need is to pay for a new Arena. I'd vote no even if another hockey team could move to Chicago.

From another forum I frequent:

The official figures that came out after (convenient, huh?) the vote is this:

New Isles Arena gets voted in = $14/year increase in taxes

New Isles Arena gets voted down, Isles move and the Coliseum goes dark = $16/year increase in taxes.

And:

Nassau will lose $263 Million in annual revenues if the NVMC closes.

Guest Shoreline

14 bucks is nothing really... No one in America is taxed to the brim either... Just saying people don't seem to realize that taxes are considered very low here.

That's going to have to change. For those who don't pay attention to how s***ty the U.S. economy is becoming from phony bubbles created by the Fed and reckless consumption/spending without the exports and taxes to justify it, maybe the Coyotes situation with Glendale will hit home when it comes to the horrendous debt-laden deals they make putting taxpayers on the line for hundreds of billions of dollars for private enterprise. If there is a new building in Nassau for the Islanders it needs to be done entirely with private money. Let the market dictate the terms upon the Islanders getting a new building. If private money can't afford it, surely government shouldn't be spending money on it. We're talking about entertainment venues.