• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

Even though Uncle Gary has already done everything humanly possible, he's going to have to do even more to fulfill his dream; from ESPN :

Bettman said in a statement Tuesday that the league would work with the Islanders "to explore whatever options still may be available in light of what obviously is not a positive development. Our goal is for the team to remain on Long Island and we still hope that objective can be realized."

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

As the Barclays Center is not too far from my apt. I would love the move.

Markowitz would love everything to be the "Brooklyn _____" If Brooklyn is technically still on the Isle... isn't Brooklyn still then in NY? His hard-on for Brooklyn is sometimes maddening.
Hell Marty, they're not the Manhattan Rangers.

Seems now that a move to the new arena is the Isles best bet to stay in the area, and I for one wouldn't mind seeing the team re-named the "Brooklyn Islanders".

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

$14 is obviously enough of a hike for those who aren't interested in a new arena.

If Grand Rapids proposed a tax hike to build an arena for a new basketball team, I know I'd vote it down.

Agreed. The last thing the people of Long Island need is to pay for a new Arena. I'd vote no even if another hockey team could move to Chicago.

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

Markowitz would love everything to be the "Brooklyn _____"

Posted Image

The marketing possibilities for the return of this franchise renaming spins the head.

#25 RoninJai

RoninJai

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:52 AM

From another forum I frequent:

The official figures that came out after (convenient, huh?) the vote is this:

New Isles Arena gets voted in = $14/year increase in taxes

New Isles Arena gets voted down, Isles move and the Coliseum goes dark = $16/year increase in taxes.

And:

Nassau will lose $263 Million in annual revenues if the NVMC closes.

#26 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

14 bucks is nothing really... No one in America is taxed to the brim either... Just saying people don't seem to realize that taxes are considered very low here.

I mean, I will send them 14 bucks in the mail to keep that team there.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#27 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

14 bucks is nothing really... No one in America is taxed to the brim either... Just saying people don't seem to realize that taxes are considered very low here.

That's going to have to change. For those who don't pay attention to how s***ty the U.S. economy is becoming from phony bubbles created by the Fed and reckless consumption/spending without the exports and taxes to justify it, maybe the Coyotes situation with Glendale will hit home when it comes to the horrendous debt-laden deals they make putting taxpayers on the line for hundreds of billions of dollars for private enterprise. If there is a new building in Nassau for the Islanders it needs to be done entirely with private money. Let the market dictate the terms upon the Islanders getting a new building. If private money can't afford it, surely government shouldn't be spending money on it. We're talking about entertainment venues.

#28 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

The Isles are not a big market team. That market is owned by the Rangers. My company is based on Long Island and I can tell you known of the people at my office care about the Isles....they are all Rangers fans.

I agree. There's to much hockey in the New York area, 3 teams is one to many. Bye bye Islanders.

I say they're going to Quebec City.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#29 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

Posted Image

The marketing possibilities for the return of this franchise renaming spins the head.

I think moving teams to Brooklyn is a good idea. I don't live in New York, just been there twice, but is there really that big of a Manhattan vs. Long Island rivalry going on? I think there's more of a Manhattan vs. Brooklyn thing.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

I found out this week that the NBA Nets may move to Brooklyn. Yes, I was the last to find out.

#31 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 675 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

Posted Image

A marketing wet dream (sorry, I suck at photoshop):

Posted Image

Edited by Uncle Danny, 13 August 2011 - 12:58 PM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#32 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Negative. This is about as far from a marketing wet dream as you can get.

No one in their right mind would want to ice a team that uses the tragedy of 9/11 as it's sole basis for existence.

ESPECIALLY not anyone from NYC.

A marketing wet dream (sorry, I suck at photoshop):

Posted Image

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13