• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Weber Arbitration hearing...

Rate this topic

Guest stinky fish taco

whether the predators like the decision or not is irrelevant...they literally can not walk way, since they initiated the arbitration.

this is not common because a team-elected arbitration almost never actually makes it to the arbitration.

edit: Nhurdi already covered it.

Edited by stinky fish taco

Arbitration is based on comparisons to other players in the league at the same level and what they are making, as well as things like age, etc. The highest paid defenseman is Campbell at just over $7m. Lidstrom, Chara, and Boyle are all top-end defensemen in the $6m-$7m range. Weber is the youngest here, and with the most future. However, it will also be a short contract, leading to a higher future salary and potential loss on the UFA market. Meaning that Weber has variables working both for him and against him in a market with constantly rising salaries. His cap hit will likely be somewhere around $7m to $7.5m.

Sucks that its one year, since he will still be an rfa and will have time to lock him up again. It will really take some great luck for him to ever be a ufa so the wings can have a chance at him. I dont see it tho, he will stay a predator or get sold for a good return.

You can accept it and then trade the player, but you cannot trade their rights. As far as I understand it.

Yeah... but he is 27 next year.

But, when the league year starts, he will be 26, with only 6 years in. It works both ways. Some guys have turned 35 the year they signed a contract, but since they were 34 when the season started, they didn't have a 35+ contract.

I think this is the first time you and I have agreed, but this is completely true. An arbitrator will award almost certainly less than what Weber and Co. are pushing for. If Weber's camp is pushing for $8.5, its doubtful the judge rules for anything higher than $8....which Weber is certainly worth . Anything less and NSH makes out like a bandit because they get 2 more years of his services worry-free before renegotiating long-term.

NSH's POV right now is why waste money the next 2 years when the judge will almost certainly save them some.

Arbitration is 1 year contracts only, and teams can only request arbitration once on a player. His contract will come up again next summer, but he will still be a RFA.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=585603&navid=mod-rr-headlines

A couple other things in the article but it does clear a few things up I think.

Interesting note, because one of the about.com links I posted distinguished between the two types of arbitration and then stated teams could walk away, implying that they could on either type.

Arbitration is based on comparisons to other players in the league at the same level and what they are making, as well as things like age, etc. The highest paid defenseman is Campbell at just over $7m. Lidstrom, Chara, and Boyle are all top-end defensemen in the $6m-$7m range. Weber is the youngest here, and with the most future. However, it will also be a short contract, leading to a higher future salary and potential loss on the UFA market. Meaning that Weber has variables working both for him and against him in a market with constantly rising salaries. His cap hit will likely be somewhere around $7m to $7.5m.

Evidence that is not admissible:

The salary and performance of a "comparable" player who signed a contract as an unrestricted free agent.

Testimonials, video and media reports.

The financial state of the team.

The salary cap and the state of the team's payroll.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlfreeagents/a/arbitration.htm

Another interesting note is that the Predators currently have a little over 23 million to spend with 3 rosters spots open. They are not even at the floor, yet.

This just shows that everything I have said about the Nashville Predators is true! A JOKE Organization!! You are not going to come to terms with your franchise player????? WTF!! This would be like the Wings saying see ya to Zetterberg or Datsyuk!! And yet, people still follow the Preds, but then again the people down there in TN are not the sharpest pencils in the box either!

I guess Capgeek says because he is 27 in August and they go by your age on June 30th (which is the first time I have heard this before) You get stuck another year?!?!

The age rule has been there all the time. It even affects 35+ contracts. Your age is recorded as your age at the beginning of the league year,which is July 1st. Also, free agency is currently 27 years old OR 7 accured seasons. Sounds like he isn't qualified for either.

This is exactly how a 26 year old Howard was nominated for a Calder.

Edited by 13dangledangle

This is a lose lose for Nashville. What if the Arb awards him like 7 or 8 mil+ for this season. His next contract on his RFA year can only go up. They really messed up by not signing him before this arbitration. Next summer will be the Weber offer sheet lottery undoubtedly.

This is a lose lose for Nashville. What if the Arb awards him like 7 or 8 mil+ for this season. His next contract on his RFA year can only go up. They really messed up by not signing him before this arbitration. Next summer will be the Weber offer sheet lottery undoubtedly.

This. And we better be in on it with all the cap space we'll have.

But, when the league year starts, he will be 26, with only 6 years in. It works both ways. Some guys have turned 35 the year they signed a contract, but since they were 34 when the season started, they didn't have a 35+ contract.

Arbitration is 1 year contracts only, and teams can only request arbitration once on a player. His contract will come up again next summer, but he will still be a RFA.

Yeah, simple misprint. I kept seeing all the discussion about being an RFA for the next two seasons and slipped.

This just shows that everything I have said about the Nashville Predators is true! A JOKE Organization!! You are not going to come to terms with your franchise player????? WTF!! This would be like the Wings saying see ya to Zetterberg or Datsyuk!! And yet, people still follow the Preds, but then again the people down there in TN are not the sharpest pencils in the box either!

have you ever seem hardcore pawn? i would watch that before judging people in Nashville/TN. :D

I think it also sends a bad message to the fans and the rest of the team. Weber is the franchise. Not being able to come to terms with him could be seen as a lack of commitment to putting together a winning team. And it's not like this deal snuck up on them. They've had plenty of time to prepare for what it would take to sign him.

I think it also sends a bad message to the fans and the rest of the team. Weber is the franchise. Not being able to come to terms with him could be seen as a lack of commitment to putting together a winning team. And it's not like this deal snuck up on them. They've had plenty of time to prepare for what it would take to sign him.

So true. Hasn't nashville been like this pretty much since they have been in the league? They never want to spend money on their players it seems.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Let's just cross our collective fingers and hope that Nashville has a REALLY crappy season this year and watch how the situation between Weber and the team deteriorates slowly as the losses pile up. Hey, I can dream.

Maybe he'd be available at the deadline kind of like Kovy was. ATL was still in the playoff hunt, but traded him because they couldn't get him signed. Start submitting your wish list for players and prospects to give up along with the 2 #1 draft choices for the next few years.....

Guest Crymson

Let's just cross our collective fingers and hope that Nashville has a REALLY crappy season this year and watch how the situation between Weber and the team deteriorates slowly as the losses pile up. Hey, I can dream.

Maybe he'd be available at the deadline kind of like Kovy was. ATL was still in the playoff hunt, but traded him because they couldn't get him signed. Start submitting your wish list for players and prospects to give up along with the 2 #1 draft choices for the next few years.....

Even at the deadline, we'll be unlikely to pick up such a good defenseman from a divisional rival.

Smith, Kindl, Tatar, and 2, 1st round picks

THAT is likely what it would take... form your own opinion of whether or not you're willing to part with this package to make it happen, I'm not saying whether I am for or against parting with this to get Weber here in return, but just stating what it WILL take...

THAT is likely what it would take... form your own opinion of whether or not you're willing to part with this package to make it happen, I'm not saying whether I am for or against parting with this to get Weber here in return, but just stating what it WILL take...

And here I was hoping it would only take Hudler, a bag of pucks, & a "Comedy Stylings of Pavel Datsyuk" DVD. :ph34r:

I don't think I'd make that trade. At some point 2 first rounders (Smith, Kindl) + 2 future first rounders + a steal of a second rounder (Tatar) has to be more valuable than Weber. Not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper. But I agree, that's a pretty good ballpark asking price.