• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

That new Nashville jersey would make me want to play somewhere else.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#22 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Where did anyone hear he came out and stated he didn't want to be in Nashville anymore? That would probably be the first time in many moons where a player stated he wanted out prior to an RFA/UFA deal.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#23 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Where did anyone hear he came out and stated he didn't want to be in Nashville anymore? That would probably be the first time in many moons where a player stated he wanted out prior to an RFA/UFA deal.

I don't think anyone's seen it in writing as having been said by Weber. Outside of the fact that it'd be terribly unprofessional, I'd imagine it would damage his standpoint in the arbitration hearings since his team could argue against him by claiming he's just inflating his asking price to leave. It seems to be the general consensus, though, that Weber wants out.

Edited by Travis, 02 August 2011 - 03:10 PM.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

and Kenny sits and waits, hes smarter than we thought after all ;)

What were his other options? No team was eligible to send Weber an offer sheet.

#25 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

The Predators will have to accept the contract no matter the terms because by filing for club-elected arbitration, they prevented other teams from signing Weber to an offer sheet this summer but also forfeited their rights to walk away from the arbiter's ruling.

http://www.nhl.com/i...od-rr-headlines

A couple other things in the article but it does clear a few things up I think.

#26 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

whether the predators like the decision or not is irrelevant...they literally can not walk way, since they initiated the arbitration.

this is not common because a team-elected arbitration almost never actually makes it to the arbitration.

edit: Nhurdi already covered it.

Edited by stinky fish taco, 02 August 2011 - 03:50 PM.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#27 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

Arbitration is based on comparisons to other players in the league at the same level and what they are making, as well as things like age, etc. The highest paid defenseman is Campbell at just over $7m. Lidstrom, Chara, and Boyle are all top-end defensemen in the $6m-$7m range. Weber is the youngest here, and with the most future. However, it will also be a short contract, leading to a higher future salary and potential loss on the UFA market. Meaning that Weber has variables working both for him and against him in a market with constantly rising salaries. His cap hit will likely be somewhere around $7m to $7.5m.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#28 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

@DarrenDreger: Shea Weber asked for $8.5 and Preds submitted $4.75 million. Arbitrator has 48 hrs to decide on 1 year term.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#29 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Sucks that its one year, since he will still be an rfa and will have time to lock him up again. It will really take some great luck for him to ever be a ufa so the wings can have a chance at him. I dont see it tho, he will stay a predator or get sold for a good return.

#30 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

Well, lets wait for Suter. Weber is amazing but when Suter got injured Weber didn't play that great, I think Suter is the better defensive defensemen between the two.

#31 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

You can accept it and then trade the player, but you cannot trade their rights. As far as I understand it.

Yeah... but he is 27 next year.

But, when the league year starts, he will be 26, with only 6 years in. It works both ways. Some guys have turned 35 the year they signed a contract, but since they were 34 when the season started, they didn't have a 35+ contract.

I think this is the first time you and I have agreed, but this is completely true. An arbitrator will award almost certainly less than what Weber and Co. are pushing for. If Weber's camp is pushing for $8.5, its doubtful the judge rules for anything higher than $8....which Weber is certainly worth . Anything less and NSH makes out like a bandit because they get 2 more years of his services worry-free before renegotiating long-term.

NSH's POV right now is why waste money the next 2 years when the judge will almost certainly save them some.

Arbitration is 1 year contracts only, and teams can only request arbitration once on a player. His contract will come up again next summer, but he will still be a RFA.

#32 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=585603&navid=mod-rr-headlines

A couple other things in the article but it does clear a few things up I think.

Interesting note, because one of the about.com links I posted distinguished between the two types of arbitration and then stated teams could walk away, implying that they could on either type.

Arbitration is based on comparisons to other players in the league at the same level and what they are making, as well as things like age, etc. The highest paid defenseman is Campbell at just over $7m. Lidstrom, Chara, and Boyle are all top-end defensemen in the $6m-$7m range. Weber is the youngest here, and with the most future. However, it will also be a short contract, leading to a higher future salary and potential loss on the UFA market. Meaning that Weber has variables working both for him and against him in a market with constantly rising salaries. His cap hit will likely be somewhere around $7m to $7.5m.

Evidence that is not admissible:
The salary and performance of a "comparable" player who signed a contract as an unrestricted free agent.
Testimonials, video and media reports.
The financial state of the team.
The salary cap and the state of the team's payroll.

http://proicehockey....arbitration.htm

Another interesting note is that the Predators currently have a little over 23 million to spend with 3 rosters spots open. They are not even at the floor, yet.

#33 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

This just shows that everything I have said about the Nashville Predators is true! A JOKE Organization!! You are not going to come to terms with your franchise player????? WTF!! This would be like the Wings saying see ya to Zetterberg or Datsyuk!! And yet, people still follow the Preds, but then again the people down there in TN are not the sharpest pencils in the box either!

#34 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

I guess Capgeek says because he is 27 in August and they go by your age on June 30th (which is the first time I have heard this before) You get stuck another year?!?!

The age rule has been there all the time. It even affects 35+ contracts. Your age is recorded as your age at the beginning of the league year,which is July 1st. Also, free agency is currently 27 years old OR 7 accured seasons. Sounds like he isn't qualified for either.

This is exactly how a 26 year old Howard was nominated for a Calder.

Edited by 13dangledangle, 03 August 2011 - 12:34 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:09 AM

This is a lose lose for Nashville. What if the Arb awards him like 7 or 8 mil+ for this season. His next contract on his RFA year can only go up. They really messed up by not signing him before this arbitration. Next summer will be the Weber offer sheet lottery undoubtedly.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#36 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:31 AM

This is a lose lose for Nashville. What if the Arb awards him like 7 or 8 mil+ for this season. His next contract on his RFA year can only go up. They really messed up by not signing him before this arbitration. Next summer will be the Weber offer sheet lottery undoubtedly.

This. And we better be in on it with all the cap space we'll have.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#37 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

But, when the league year starts, he will be 26, with only 6 years in. It works both ways. Some guys have turned 35 the year they signed a contract, but since they were 34 when the season started, they didn't have a 35+ contract.

Arbitration is 1 year contracts only, and teams can only request arbitration once on a player. His contract will come up again next summer, but he will still be a RFA.

Yeah, simple misprint. I kept seeing all the discussion about being an RFA for the next two seasons and slipped.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#38 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

This just shows that everything I have said about the Nashville Predators is true! A JOKE Organization!! You are not going to come to terms with your franchise player????? WTF!! This would be like the Wings saying see ya to Zetterberg or Datsyuk!! And yet, people still follow the Preds, but then again the people down there in TN are not the sharpest pencils in the box either!

have you ever seem hardcore pawn? i would watch that before judging people in Nashville/TN. :D
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#39 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

Does the arbitrator make the decision today?

Nevermind. The arbitrator has 48 hours to decide.

Edited by e_prime, 03 August 2011 - 10:31 AM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#40 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

I think it also sends a bad message to the fans and the rest of the team. Weber is the franchise. Not being able to come to terms with him could be seen as a lack of commitment to putting together a winning team. And it's not like this deal snuck up on them. They've had plenty of time to prepare for what it would take to sign him.