• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

San Jose Sharks

Rate this topic

Looks like their team is improving each and every year. I can track back to three years ago when their third line center was Wellwood and they just traded for Boyle. Pavelski was youngser back then. Next year Couture emerged and they signed Malhotra. Still no Cup. Now they have excellent three-centers punch in Thornton, Couture, Pavelski and they just signed big body Handzus. In addition to that they traded for Burns, signed him, and signed White as well. I see then way better than they were last year. Personally, I think there is no way for us to get past them in the play-offs with Helm and Abdelkader as 3rd and 4th line centers. So, the actual question. Does someone see them as champions next year? To be honest, I do. I wouldn't bet a dime if we meet them in the play-offs.

No.

They have an x factor that they can't seem to shake off. Even though they made it to the conference finals they were dominated by the Canucks and couldn't close out against us.

We'll see about their acquisitions, but Burns has concussion issues and hasn't played a single game for the team.

Also, who are their 3rd and 4th line centers?

I still think they're a bad matchup for the Wings. We didn't do much in the offseason to change that in my mind.

They have a big, physical team and I don't think our forwards are big or physical enough to bring it every game on the forecheck against them. The Wings played well towards the end of the series, but still lost. I just don't like our chances if we play them again.

I also agree that San Jose folds in the Conference Finals, but that didn't matter against the Wings since we faced them in the 2nd round.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I still think they're a bad matchup for the Wings. We didn't do much in the offseason to change that in my mind.

They have a big, physical team and I don't think our forwards are big or physical enough to bring it every game on the forecheck against them. The Wings played well towards the end of the series, but still lost. I just don't like our chances if we play them again.

I also agree that San Jose folds in the Conference Finals, but that didn't matter against the Wings since we faced them in the 2nd round.

Thornton is a choke artist and I'm thoroughly convinced that whatever team he plays for will not win a cup with him on it... he loses his cool when it matters most and may put up ok playoff numbers, but is a non-factor when it matters most... also, I still think Niemi is a flash in the pan...

There's two mistakes people make in the off season every year: 1) they say the Wings are to old and will start their decline, and 2) they pick San Jose to win the Stanley Cup.

When will people learn?

every year lol

I think with the way the NHL is today, your top 6 offense and top 4 defenseman for the most part will be just about as good as any other cup contending team. The difference makers are the 3rd and 4th lines. Their 3rd and 4th liners outplayed ours and thats why they won. It sure as hell wasnt cuz of marleau, heatly, and thornton. Their third line is worse entering this season than it was last season, so I dont think they are better as a team. Plus, Im not sold on niemi at all.

I think a lot of teams out west got a lot better this season, and the 1st round wont be as easy for top ranked teams. The kings made a huge splash, the preds got over a big hump and could be a force if they get their act together, the ducks certainly can never be counted out with their goalie, the hawks are gonna be pretty solid this year, the avs might be one of those surprise teams with a lot of young talent that might break out this season, id like to see how jamie benn develops and if goligoski can bring anything positive to the stars who looked great at the start of last season and shares a record for most points by a team that did not make the playoffs. The flames and blue jackets could be two teams that sneak into the playoffs and if their over rated goalies live up to the hype they could shock a team (I dont think thats likely though). I wouldnt look ahead to the second or third round if i were the sharks, or the wings and canucks for that matter.

I'd bet against them winning the cup, but they certainly have a chance. The Wings can get past them in the playoffs, but it would be close again.

Yeah and the Isles do, and the Blues, and the Oilers, and the Leafs. That is how the NHL works. Everyone has a shot in the beginning, we all start at zero points. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's two mistakes people make in the off season every year: 1) they say the Wings are to old and will start their decline, and 2) they pick San Jose to win the Stanley Cup.

When will people learn?

Naw let them keep picking San Jose. The Wings won the cup last when a lot of the media picked San Jose. Then again I suppose they pick San Jose almost every year. Still, it takes a little pressure off Detroit and provides a tiny bit of motivation.

The only reason they escaped from losing a 3-0 from the red wings wad because franzen AND datstuk were hurt...no excuse but if they're 100% or not so freakin hurt the red wings would've beat them. Lets not forget that they also got an extremely lucky bounce in game 1 OT when a shot rode up Stuarts stick and into the net.

I still think they have our number. We need a top 6 forward badly. We'll see but I hate to say it but the Sharks still have the edge on us this year. I don't see us beating them AGAIN this playoffs unless and acquistion is made. My humble 2 cent opinion.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Please. Sharks won game 7 on the strength of 2 injured wings and 2 that got injured during the game. and also during games 6 and 7 the top 2 lines were run 22-25 minutes. The Sharks threw it all on the boat to beat the Wings and had nothing in the tank for the Nucks.

They also haven't learned from running Nabokov into the ground. You can't run a goalie 70+ games and then expect excellent playoff performances, they do break down. They HAVE to work Niemi and Greiss as an actual tandem, something they've failed to do.

It take some losing in the playoffs before a team takes it to the next level and it may be there year to do it. They've certainly brought in some good pieces to make it easier.

Your key word is "some". We had "some" losing in the playoffs before we won, San Jose's losing has gone on way to long.