• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

i know there is a british continent here and i was hoping i could get some advice from some fans on picking a team to follow.

first off, i love the beautiful game. i used to play but ankle tendonitis stopped that. i love watching it and i want to attach myself to a team.

i filled this out for S & G and was surprised to be matched up with newcastle. that's a team that i've been vaguely interested in and i don't know why. maybe it's because i find the name cool. maybe it's because they're sponsored by a brewery. i don't know. the jerseys are ugly and i don't even know where they are based. plus i've read that their fans are los angeles raiders crazy and i don't know how into that i am, and the fact that they could be relegated at any given moment turns me off a bit.

i've tried finding out where my ancestors are from and picking a team based near that. but i'm a mutt and my family is unnervingly mum about our history. my grandmother said we are the descendants of horse thieves. she did not say much more.

when i look at the distribution of families with my last name (putman) they are mostly in london, followed by buckinghamshire, sussex, and hampshire. i hate bandwagoners so i don't want to jump on the london teams that are supposed to be extremely successful (i.e. arsenal, chelsea, etc.). but i also don't want to pick a team that i will have a hard time watching both physically (i have FSC, and a computer with internet) and mentally (portsmouth??)

i am a huge fan of underdogs and i like passionate play. i have been spoiled as a wings fan as far as winning goes but i've been watching them since the john ogrodnick days when they just beat up on everybody (oh but i do miss that).

i'd like a team where the owner loves the game and players, is loyal, and who isn't a russian mob boss. i don't want a yankees team where money is thrown around at players because they are talented. i prefer chemistry and passion. when i vacation to the UK for the first time (which will happen in the next few years), i'd like to see a game without fear for my life.

oh, and i HATE the whole 'falling down and grabbing your leg when nobody has touched you to garner a foul' thing. if a team is known for that i don't want to have anything to do with them.

can anybody help me?
Posted Image

#2 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

i think i might pick newcastle. does anybody care enough to have any thoughts on this?
Posted Image

#3 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

I would recommend teams like Everton or Aston Villa for you. They are two classic, above average teams who have upside to break into the top 4. I don't see Newcastle as very solid team. They didn't even play in Premier League in 2009-10 season and they lost their best striker Andy Carroll to Liverpool. But it's your choice.

Btw, I'm a huge fan of Chelsea which looks exactly the team you hate. :D
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#4 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

I would recommend teams like Everton or Aston Villa for you. They are two classic, above average teams who have upside to break into the top 4. I don't see Newcastle as very solid team. They didn't even play in Premier League in 2009-10 season and they lost their best striker Andy Carroll to Liverpool. But it's your choice.

Btw, I'm a huge fan of Chelsea which looks exactly the team you hate. :D

i watched carroll in the liverpool/valencia friendly and he appears to be a bit temperamental. was this just an unusually testy friendly?
Posted Image

#5 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

Definitely Man (Manchester) City, simply because its Noel Gallagher's favorite team. Given he's the coolest human being on the face of this earth, that should be reason enough. He's also practically best friends with Johnny Depp, which makes them both even cooler by association.

Besides, according to my Soccer-obsessed brother, Man City has really worked to get into their position.

Satisfied? :D
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#6 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Definitely Man (Manchester) City, simply because its Noel Gallagher's favorite team. Given he's the coolest human being on the face of this earth, that should be reason enough. He's also practically best friends with Johnny Depp, which makes them both even cooler by association.

Besides, according to my Soccer-obsessed brother, Man City has really worked to get into their position.

Man City got bought by billionaire Arabs and spent their way to where they are now...nowhere.

Newcastle are a fine choice. Fantastic set of supporters, badly run football club. But it's a good choice for the right reasons.

I myself support Liverpool as my dad (from Liverpool) brought me up to be one. Best club in England on and off the field.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#7 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Man City got bought by billionaire Arabs and spent their way to where they are now...nowhere.

Newcastle are a fine choice. Fantastic set of supporters, badly run football club. But it's a good choice for the right reasons.

I myself support Liverpool as my dad (from Liverpool) brought me up to be one. Best club in England on and off the field.

yeah i get the impression that liverpool and the red wings have a bit in common in that regard.

ugh i can't stand noel gallagher.

yeah i get the impression that liverpool and the red wings have a bit in common in that regard.

no wait, it's liam.

no wait, it's both.
Posted Image

#8 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:02 AM

Contradiction much?

Isn't Liverpool a highly paid club as well? I don't know much of anything about the EPL, but just sayin'.

no wait, it's liam.

no wait, it's both.

Liam is one of the dumbest people on the face of this earth. Noel is nothing like him. Brilliant writer, down-to-earth and as I mentioned...the coolest human being on the planet. Reason enough to root for Man City. :lol:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#9 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

I meant Newcastle are badly run. Not Liverpool.

Liverpool aren't that rich. Our net spend in transfers over the past 4 years is less than Man City's in the past 4 months.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#10 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:45 AM

well it's official. i've just ordered a newcastle scarf.

a bit ominous that in the "customers that ordered this item also ordered this" section is a book called "newcastle united: 50 years of hurt."
Posted Image

#11 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

Tottenham, Birmingham City (now relegated), and Celtic (Scottish).

Hoping Queens Park Rangers can stay in the top league after this season.

"Man City" - sounds like the perfect name for a *** bar...Not that there's anything wrong with that :rolleyes:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#12 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:30 AM

I meant Newcastle are badly run. Not Liverpool.

Liverpool aren't that rich. Our net spend in transfers over the past 4 years is less than Man City's in the past 4 months.

So what "sorts" of fans cheer on Liverpool, and Everton (as in is it logistics, religion, politics?).

Same goes for Man U, and Man City?

I know the primary reason many support Celtic (catholic), and Rangers (protestant) is via religion in Scotland, N.Ireland, and Ireland.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#13 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

i'm ridiculously excited for saturday. should be getting this in the mail today!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

we need to buy some skates for joey barton and bring him over!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users