• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

Not my work, but so appropriate as we head into day 54 of of 103, 104, 105... today was 107. There was a 108 in those two months somewhere. No rain. None.

June 1st:
Just moved to Texas ! Now this is a state that knows how to live!!
Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. It is beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th:
Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an
air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to
see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th:
Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus
and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing the lawn for me.
Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th:
The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used
to this kind of heat? At least, it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th:
Fell asleep by the community pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my
body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th:
I missed Lomita (my cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car at noon, Lomita had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag, then popped like a water balloon. The car now smells like Kibbles and s***s. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat. Good ol' Mr. Sun strikes again.

July 25th:
The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts. <_<

July 30th:
Been sleeping outside on the patio for 3 nights now, $225,000 house and I can't even go inside. Lomita is the lucky one. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th:
Its 108 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost
$500 and gets the temperature down to 85. I hate this stupid state.

Aug. 8th:
If another wise ass cracks, 'Hot enough for you today?' I'm going to
strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work, the radiator is
boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th:
Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and when I sat on the seats in the car, I thought my ass was on fire. My skin melted to the seat. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and ass. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass, and baked cat.

Aug 10th:
The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do s*** for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn state? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700 worth of cactus will just dry up and blow over. Even the cactus can't live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th:
Welcome to HELL! Temperature got to 110 today. Cactus are dead. Forgot
to crack the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The
installer came to fix it and guess what he asked me??? "Hot enough for you today?" My sister had to spend $1,500 to bail me out of jail. Freaking Texas . What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here?? Will write later to let you know how the trial goes.

Might as well laugh...it beats the alternative. I can't afford to cry. Waste of moisture! :lol:

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#2 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

:lol: that's a good one!

Sorry you have to actually live it.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#3 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

I've seen similar about good old North Da-frigid-kota.

We so totally need to meld our temps. Your 110 above, my 40 below- that averages out to, um... pauses to do math... um, 35 above. I think.

Delightful temp. Above freezing and all. Maybe we can just move the ends rather than meet in the middle. You can have our bottom 40 degrees, which lowers you to 70, and we'll have your top 40, which raises us to 0. Deal?

Seriously, keep cool, use the AC, and remember that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. And be glad for deodorant!

#4 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

Today the Temp will be 109 without the heat index added in. :(

I agree with all of the above. It's awful. My air runs non-stop until about 1am when it finally gets down to 74 in the house.It stays around 77-79 all day in the house. I pay about $300 now a month for electric. It seemed like it took me 4 days to put up a gazebo that should have only taken a day because of the heat having to stop. We have a pool but it feels like a hot tub. Can't enjoy it until well after 9pm when the temp outside has went down to at least 95 and the sun is gone. yuk.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#5 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:50 AM

yeppers, you live here!! :cool:

I've stopped inviting anyone over to my home, it's too cruel to watch them sweat inside my house. My AC cannot cool the house down below 79-80, no matter how long it runs. I keep it set at 80 degrees now, even though the room temp is around 85 until midnight or so, just like yours. My big fear is that the AC unit will just wear out, before this Hell-weather is over, if it ever is.

Have you given up on watering? I have, pretty much. I have invested thousands of dollars in my landscaping over the past decade or so. Most of it is dead or dying, with the exception of my mature shade trees. This, in spite of a $300.00 per month water bill. It's not helping, so I reluctantly have stopped trying to even keep some stuff aline. I will replace it all one day -- or not, if this is a permanent situation and it really never rains again.

People who don't live here say, "Get used to it, it's supposed to be hot, you're in Texas." Really? I've lived here 30 years. It's not "supposed" to be like this.

I don't know about you, Tony, but the really terrible thing about it is that there is no end in sight... no relief. Just the opposite, predictions are that it will get worse. :blink: It's really quite terrifying if you're here seeing this everyday, isn't it?

Enjoy your pool, until they tell us the water is all gone and ban pools and anything else requiring water. That's coming, I suspect.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#6 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

I thought this was funny, but I hope the language doesn't offend...

Posted Image
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#7 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

For those of you who know me, you know how much I loved my rose gardens and my yard in general. I conducted a memorial service for much of the yard this morning.

WARNING: mind-numbing and boring for some of you here...please do not read this post!!!

Rest in peace, my sweet roses and trees. One day, I can start over, if it ever rains again here.

Souveneir de Malmaison climber rose, before:
Posted Image
After:
Posted Image

Solei white climber rose, before. This one was new, couldn't handle the drought despite watering:
Posted Image
After:
Posted Image

St. Anne, my favorite little Irish rose, before...
Posted Image
and after:
Posted Image

What remains of my beloved redbud tree:
Posted Image

Roasted peppers... unfortunately, still on the plant. :lol: These are sheltered under a shade canopy, by the way:
Posted Image

Before the blast-furnace descended:
Posted Image

Close up of what 100+ temps for two months straight, and no rain does to a native, antique rose, despite constant hose-watering:
Posted Image

rest in peace, little garden: :(
Posted Image

Edited by puckloo39, 13 August 2011 - 12:52 PM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#8 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Oh, Loo. I know how much time and money and effort you've spent trying to keep that garden going. It's really too bad. Hopefully someday you can start over. <hugs>

#9 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

thank you, Karen. I knew you would understand. It breaks my heart to see it all die... when it was so beautiful. Maybe in a year or two when/if it ever rains again, I can start over with the roses.

The redbud tree was a gift from a friend when I bought the house, so it cannot be replaced. I won't tell him. He's 81 and not well, it would make him very sad.

Mother Nature can be kind of a *****, can't she? <_<

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#10 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

Good news, bad news, Lewd. The good news is my rain dance worked. The bad news is it worked for Michigan, not Texas.

My sincerest condolences on your losses.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#11 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

Good news, bad news, Lewd. The good news is my rain dance worked. The bad news is it worked for Michigan, not Texas.

My sincerest condolences on your losses.

thanks, Dances with Red Wings... you tried. It rained today as close as 150 miles north of us, but it never comes here anymore. We hope for a massive Pacific storm to blast across Mexico and then drown us for about three days. Those tend to happen in October, so it will be at least then before we see rain, I suspect.

Hell, it rains everywhere BUT here.

Thanks for the condolences. It makes me very sad to see this. I was just out in the back apologizing to a little green anole... there is nothing for them to eat, he was so tiny and thin. Poor little thing. :( I need to google what they eat, but I think it's leetle bugs... and we have none of those, with no water.

The hummingbirds, at least, are happy little sugar-crack-junkies. Nothing is blooming for them, but I put out five feeder stations. So they're jones-ing for more sugar hits in my back yard. :lol:

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#12 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

It's so sad to see that you have to get rid of all those beautiful roses. I'm sure you'll get them back....eventually.

Good for you feeding the little wildlife, you know they appreciate it. :)

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#13 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

Anoles like cricket parts and meal worms... I got some from my neighbor across the street... he has several pet reptiles. He said to try chopping the crickets and worms up and putting them on a leaf out on the deck. I hid the leaf under the jasmine vine... I haven't seen the anoles, but the stuff is disappearing overnight. Yay!!

Yes, one day when it rains again, could be a year or two from now, I will replace at least some of the roses. Until then, I don't trust the weather so I won't subject any more poor plants to this holocaust.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#14 Jedi

Jedi

I used to be a spy...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

Saturday was actually a wonderful surprise for us in the DFW area. Got some rain early Saturday morning (around 4:30-5am), and it dropped the temperatures all day. We were outside at 4pm, and it was only 88 degrees. We honestly had to stop to remember that this is August!

Sunday, our brief respite from Hell was over. Back to 103 degrees. Saw this guy walking across the parking lot... Posted Image

Ok, maybe not. But it damn sure felt like it.

Sorry to hear about all your plants and trees Loo.

burnnotice2.png
Covert Ops has its perks. You travel, make your own hours, and expense most of your meals.
The downside? Lots of people want you dead...

#15 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Thanks, Jedi... it looks like late Fall around here, with the falling leaves and dead or dying trees. Dried out Cedar trees make a great torches, by the way. Another big fire in North Austin (Leander) left a bunch of people homeless tonight.

106 today, 105 predicted tomorrow... it's still 95 right now, at almost 11PM. Glad you guys got a little rain, but the temps jumped right back up in Dallas, I see. Sorry, buddy. But I am glad it rained there... at least it's in the state, right?

:P

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#16 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, it's been horrible here. It feels like it's been 100 every day since Memorial Day. I just keep telling myself, "fall is coming, fall is coming, fall is coming."

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#17 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, it's been horrible here. It feels like it's been 100 every day since Memorial Day. I just keep telling myself, "fall is coming, fall is coming, fall is coming."

I am betting on October before see temps under 100 here. We have shattered the 150 year old record for heat and drought in Central Texas. Yay.

Rain is a myth. There is no such thing. :ph34r:

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#18 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

Oh JOY

Stage II Conservation Conditions Issued - Effective August 19, 2011
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#19 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,504 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

Oh JOY

Stage II Conservation Conditions Issued - Effective August 19, 2011

starting Sept 6, to be precise Statesman linky

But who's counting, right? For the uninitiated (and those who actually have seen rain in the last year or two) that means people in Ausitn can only water once a week on a designated day. You can hand water anytime, if you can stand to be outside for any length of time in 106 degree heat. <_<

Other "highlights" of Stage 2 restrictions:
•Hand-watering allowed anytime
•Vehicle washing allowed only on designated day before 10:00 a.m.
•No charity car washes
•No automatic-fill valves for pools or ponds
•No outdoor fountains except to provide aeration for aquatic life
•No water to be served at restaurants unless requested
•No washing of sidewalks, driveways, parking areas or other paved areas

With no end of the drought in sight, there is no end of restrictions in sight either. I am just glad there is still water in the tap to drink, personally. Some communities near here are not that lucky.

Tony, did you see the latest neighborhood fire this week in Leander? 18 homes lost... they showed an amatuer video of some guy trying to toss buckets of water on the approaching flames... and right in front of him, a stand of dead, dried-out cedar trees burst into flame, like someone had tossed a tank of propane into the middle of them. You could actually hear the sound of the fire, exploding! WHOOMP!!!

Crazy. :blink: We live in Hell.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Best ever

#20 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

Isn't Hell in Michigan?

It's crazy when even my kids, who LOVE playing outside will come back in after about 10 minutes because it's too hot out there.

I really hope it rains soon. The yard is looking ok, but I'm concerned about the super crazy water bills. I'd imagine the restrictions will be coming to Hutto soon. :(
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users