52 replies to this topic

#21 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, it's been horrible here. It feels like it's been 100 every day since Memorial Day. I just keep telling myself, "fall is coming, fall is coming, fall is coming."

WINTER IS COMING.

#22 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:59 PM

not here, it ain't. It's going to be 110 this weekend. :lol:

One of my neighbors burned his house down and his neighbor's house, as well, on Monday. It's so hot and dry, the yard and trees pretty much exploded. This here is a very good reason to not use your Weber grill in the backyard, dude.

Two doors down from my house, a tree spontaneously combusted yesterday. Apparently, the drought killed it from the inside, and the inside of it just got so hot, it smoldered for a day or two.. and then just burst into flames. Honestly. We live in Hell.

Today was Day 70 this year of over 100 degrees, which broke the all time record (from 1925) for heat. Yay. We win! I'd hate to suffer through this again and not break the damned weather record. We got to 69 days of 100+ in 2009, missed it by a day. I was so pissed. :P

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#23 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

I was out spraying my weeds last night thinking about you Linda. It's so damn hot there you don't have to worry about weeds or grass growing. I was thinking about spraying some of the stuff around my little oak tree so that it will die, I don't want that thing growing in my front yard.

I really hope this fall and winter bring some rain and cooler temps to you.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#24 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

No, the weeds are just about the only thing that's surviving. My back yard is pretty much sticks that used to be grass, and tons of weeds.

It's going to be a lot of work once I start caring about the grass again. :\
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#25 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

111 degrees yesterday, 112 right now. <_< I just went out to turn the hose on some of my half-dead rose bushes, and can smell smoke from a fire nearby.

That's most days, now, that you can smell smoke from a brush fire, grass fire -- or houses burning down.

All time record for heat today in Austin W. T. F ? It's 11PM, and it's still 100 degrees out.

Edited by puckloo39, 28 August 2011 - 11:04 PM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Better than Ever

#26 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

The wildfires I have feared all summer are here now. 30,000 acres burned, 450 homes gone so far... the fire is zero-percent contained. 83 other fires are going right now around central Texas, with dry humidity and howling 30 MPH winds from the tropical storm which is sending rain everywhere but here. Of course. :rolleyes:

I have to wonder why no one is coming to help us here. The medical life flight helicopters are being used to dump water, where they can find some with all the lakes dried up. Where is the national guard? Where is the military, Fort Hood is not far from here. Probably all the guys from there are in Iraq and Afghanistan. <_<

There is a major fire five miles to the east of my house. It could easily be here in minutes, the way these fires are running wild. We don't have enough fire fighters to be everywhere at once. My car is packed with the few possessions I need or hold dear... just hope there is time to get out if that fire turns this way.

I've said for the last couple of years when this drought set in that Austin would end up on the nightly news, with footage of people running down the streets, fleeing for their lives. Sadly, I just watched exactly that scenario here. Not sure the rest of the country is watching, but I am.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#27 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,758 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

I don't watch the news, but I've been reading about it. They had a write-up in one of the farm papers around here about how many cattlemen are having to sell out due to lack of water and feed.

I know this doesn't mean a lot to most people, but for those of us surrounded by the rural scene, this is shocking.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#28 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

I don't watch the news, but I've been reading about it. They had a write-up in one of the farm papers around here about how many cattlemen are having to sell out due to lack of water and feed.

I know this doesn't mean a lot to most people, but for those of us surrounded by the rural scene, this is shocking.

not shocking to me. West Texas economy is lower than a rattlesnake's belly - cotton didn't bloom, cattle have all been sold off, because they can't afford feed. Nothing grows in a furnace, it seems.

I have clients in West Texas who live in towns called Bovina and Hereford. Guess what their economy was based on? Moo?

More than 500 homes have been destroyed here, 40,000 acres and counting burned to a crisp. Our beknighted governor finally got his ass back here today, a little blip in his plan for utter dominion of YOU, as your next president. Heaven help us, like some other pols we know, he waits until the last minute - too late - to call for help and resources. Maybe if he has been here, he might have noticed that Austin is ON FIRE!!!!! <_<

I just saw two chinook helicopters and a blackhawk (national guard) headed south toward Bastrop county. Finally, a little bit of help? We need one of those huge airplanes they use to drop water and fire retardant on forest fires. Right now would be good.

Edited by puckloo39, 06 September 2011 - 08:52 AM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#29 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hope the wildfires can be put out soon.

#30 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

As long as you stay safe Linda that's most important. I hope it doesn't come to it, but your house and it's items can be replaced you can't.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#31 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

As long as you stay safe Linda that's most important. I hope it doesn't come to it, but your house and it's items can be replaced you can't.

I have my legal documents and a few possessions in the trunk of my car, assuming we get enough notice to get out. The rest, while inconvenient, can indeed be replaced. The worst part would be paying off all those renovations I just had done -- with the house not actually being there anymore. :blink:

Don't know what I would do, really. Maybe start over somewhere else. Leave here for somewhere with decent weather, somewhere possibly not on fire? That would be good.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#32 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

FEMA is supposedly coming in today. Not a moment too soon. It is a perfect-storm nightmare in central Texas. Just drove home South from a large grocery store in our Leander/Cedar Park area. There had to be 20-25 cars parked on the shoulder in front of the Leander Public Library, about a mile from our house. Their parking lot was already full. These evacuees were out of their cars, and there was a lot of hugging going on. To my left (East)) I could see smoke and fire in the very same area that was burning yesterday. It is nowhere near the scale of what's happening in Bastrop. We have a friend who was burned out there. Just got out in time with his dog and that was it. God help us all. It absolutely breaks my heart.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#33 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

FEMA is supposedly coming in today. Not a moment too soon. It is a perfect-storm nightmare in central Texas. Just drove home South from a large grocery store in our Leander/Cedar Park area. There had to be 20-25 cars parked on the shoulder in front of the Leander Public Library, about a mile from our house. Their parking lot was already full. These evacuees were out of their cars, and there was a lot of hugging going on. To my left (East)) I could see smoke and fire in the very same area that was burning yesterday. It is nowhere near the scale of what's happening in Bastrop. We have a friend who was burned out there. Just got out in time with his dog and that was it. God help us all. It absolutely breaks my heart.

It is heartbreaking, and difficult to watch politicians use this disaster as a platform. <_< Bastrop is far greater in scope than Steiner Ranch, but guess where the support is being offered? I assume people with $500,000 homes can afford insurance. Not so sure about the folks in Spicewood, Bastrop and Cedar Park/Leander.

I am a couple of miles from the Pigeon Forge fire in Pflugerville. So far, they've kept it from spreading to the west... but anything could happen, as evidenced by our weekend from Hell here.

Let's just hope that we get rain again, someday. Yes?

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#34 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Don't know what I would do, really. Maybe start over somewhere else. Leave here for somewhere with decent weather, somewhere possibly not on fire? That would be good.

Silver lining,if the worst did happen you would have that opportunity.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

#35 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:52 PM

Oh, goody.

We win.

:rolleyes:

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#36 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Bastrop

This shows just how people are affected, very moving.

My mother lives in Bastrop. For years my family trekked to Bastrop for vacations and holidays. For years we walked along the Colorado River, either enjoying the Christmas displays or just the pretty scenery. For years we visited her little church and got to know the congregation, her friends. For years we hiked the woods behind her house, and bird watched in the pine trees in her front yard. For years we ate at local hotspots such as Maxine's and got dessert from the soda fountain at the drug store. For years we fell in love with this adorable and quaint little town, whose main downtown street was preserved through the Texas Main Street program, a program my husband learned about back in college and that we admired greatly.

For the last week, we've watched Bastrop burn:

BASTROP, Texas -- The massive wildfire is now 70 percent contained. Tuesday morning, firefighters cleared areas for more residents to return home.

Police removed the barricades at 10 a.m. for the neighborhoods of ColoVista South, Wilderness Ridge, Harmon Road, Cottletown Road, Bastrop State Park, Beuscher State Park and Park Road 1C South.

Inside many of those areas, the ground is burned completely. If feet don't crunch, they sink. The dirt across Bastrop is now like fine sand. Pine trees that once stood full and tall are now bare and charred.

34,000 acres, over $200 million in damages, over 1400 homes, 2 people…gone. One of those homes? My mother's house, the one where we built so many happy memories -- my daughter's second birthday, hurricane evacuations, cousins playing and doing punk hairdos with spray in hair color, our dog casing the yard for errant squirrels while waiting for a hike, Easter egg hunts with plenty of spots to hide eggs under pine needles, sitting on the deck reading, Mother's Day photos framed on my wall taken on the patio, a series of ranunculus photos that were among the first photos I ever sold, maneuvering backwards down her curvy long drive, the feeling of home and holiday we had each time we saw the big white mailbox at the end of her drive that signaled the end of our journey and time for family and fun.

She wasn't living there at the time. She'd leased her home to another family, so it was that couple who lost all their things, a lifetime of photos and music albums the first they named as lost. But we lost that house, that place.

Don't worry, people said, your mother has her other house and she can always rebuild, it's just things.

Oh no, it's not just things, it's a place. It's a place lost, a neighborhood lost, a community lost. Things, yes, they can be replaced, but a place cannot.

Odds are whatever is rebuilt next door will not be the green-trimmed log cabin where two elderly sisters lived, nor will it include their brave, exquisite little garden working to survive under such a canopy of pine trees that dripped daily spiky threats on the fragile flowers.

A canopy of trees now gone, land laid flat and bare for years and years now.

Quirky Tahitian Village, a strange Polynesian paradise themed neighborhood with homes of local stone and brick incongruously resting on streets named Mauna Kea Lane that wind and curve and rise and fall in the hilly country. Gone.

The Spanish hacienda, with full stucco wall around it, that sat arrogantly in a verdant lot surrounded by towering trees rather than dusky mountains and sand. Gone.

"Will they rebuild, do you think?" an older man at a local donation center asked me on Saturday.

Such a question. So many just assume. They think, with sympathy and good-intention, that the phoenix of this small, tight-knit community will rise from the ashes.

"I don't know," I said, truthfully. "My mother won't. A lot of her neighbors were elderly, a lot didn't have insurance. I just don't know. I imagine a lot of people will, if they can. I think a lot will decide this is it, a sign, or something, and they'll move somewhere else, maybe to a retirement home or nearer to kids."

He nodded, "I thought so. Yeah, I thought so. It's too bad, to lose their place."

I nodded too, my eyes stinging, a hot hole in my upper chest. He understood. I understood. It's gone. It will never be the same. The biggest loss of all is the place.

Please donate to American Red Cross, who has been such a help and savior for so many in Bastrop, and beyond. They helped in places of fire, flood, hurricane and storm. All at the same time. Thank you.

Edited by WizardOfOz30, 14 September 2011 - 09:46 AM.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

#37 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Damn, I am so disappointed no on caught my reference. :(

#38 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:24 PM

Damn, I am so disappointed no on caught my reference. :(

Sorry, winter is a foreign concept to us. We're busy running from devastating wildfires and such.

Broken-hearted -- but not broken. We will arise from the ashes.

Dawn, as usual, you are empathetic and "get it" - how terrible this all is. Thank you for posting that article on Bastrop.

I have spent hours last weekend and will again go down to Bastrop this coming Sunday, to help organize relief supplies and try to do what I can. It's overwhelming at times... but people are so generous, it's just crazy.

Thanks again!!

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#39 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

You're such a good person Linda, if I were close enough I'd come help too. I'll keep everyone in my prayers.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

#40 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,758 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

You rule, Loo. What a sweetheart you are.

Sorry I don't get the winter reference. Winter is so commonplace here (right now we're in the "other" season: road construction).

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users