Photo
- - - - -

Ode to Texas Summer Weather

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:29 PM

It wasn't lost on me, Mr. Matt. I'm just too busy melting to respond to it. :P Plus, I'm bummed I haven't been able to get the 5th book yet.

I should have kept that on my DVR, as the scenes at the Wall were always good for cooling down.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#42 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Well, ACL is definitely a magnet for rain. Too bad there wasn't more of it, but the effect on my daughter's vegetable garden of just a little bit of rain was amazing.

Definitely need to keep this cooler weather, and more rain rolling in.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#43 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

Never rained at my home in Wells Branch. Not one drop... I feel much better, having totally given up hope. :thumbup:

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#44 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

"Fire storm" weather is back this weekend. Howling winds and 103 degrees today, still no rain. The last time the weather looked like this, 40,000 acres burned in south Austin and two other major fires, and 2,000+ homes burned to the ground.

Endless summer, indeed. <_<

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Better than Ever

#45 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Really wish we could send you some of this rain we're getting. I was reading something that said the only way you're going to be able to get out of this drought is for series of systems to come through with rain because one or two big storms won't do anything. Maybe the weather pattern will work out in your favor this fall/winter.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#46 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

Really wish we could send you some of this rain we're getting. I was reading something that said the only way you're going to be able to get out of this drought is for series of systems to come through with rain because one or two big storms won't do anything. Maybe the weather pattern will work out in your favor this fall/winter.

True, drought feeds on itself. When there is no rain, there can't be any because the ground is so hot and dry, there is no moisture for the clouds to suck up, so any rain that comes near here dissipates. It's the literal vicious cycle.

Gulf hurricanes used to cause rain here, inland, but have not in the past 5-6 years. Katrina, Rita and Ike actually made things worse for us, by causing a heat rebound with no rain, temps up to 115 with Rita. Anyone who doesn't think the climate is not shifting is not paying attention.

The only thing that might (might...) save us is a Pacific storm which plows across northern Mexico and rains on us for about a week. That is what happened last October, 2010 -- TS Hermine. That storm on October 13, 2010 was the last rain we saw. I've had none at my house in North Austin since then. The odds of a Pacific storm forming and coming here are very small indeed, thanks to La Nina. She's a ******, let me tell you. <_<

I know far more about the weather here -- and the lack of actual hope -- than I wish I did. :unsure:

As of yesterday, our rain deficit was 23.4" behind. A few more feet of dropped levels and the main water source for half of Austin (Lake Travis) will be at an historic low. Once it's gone, I am not sure what the plan is here.

Edited by puckloo39, 26 September 2011 - 02:38 PM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#47 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

We got some rain down here in SA last week, not nearly enough though. But it was great to see that mysterious moisture fall from the sky again. Of course, just as we thought the cooler weather was going to stick around it starts to heat up again. There is a reason I wear shorts on Christmas. Fires seem to have calmed down around here. There was a big blaze everyday for a few weeks. Kind of terrifying hearing nothing but evacuation and fire warnings on the radio going home from work.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#48 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:17 PM

Glad to hear you guys got some rain, if anything I think the drought may be even worse there than Austin. No relief here from heat ... 103, 105, 101 so far this week for temps.

To add irony to this situation, there are three new fires here this evening, started tonight by "dry lightening." There is no rain, since what little there is evaporates before it hits the ground -- but the lightening starts fires in the dry brush and dead trees.

I think I can hear evil laughter from somewhere in the cosmos. :unsure:

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#49 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

Whatever blew through here Tuesday was crazy. 60mph winds but barely any rain at all. I thought it was 2012 already. Lots of wind and lightning, but no rain :/ We're gonna pay for this soon enough. Drought. Flood. Drought. Flood. Texas indeed.

And yes, it is still hot as a mofo. Damn freon leaked out of my car too, been driving the jeep just for the AC.

Edited by rrasco, 29 September 2011 - 12:55 PM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#50 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

We're dead

Drought predicted to last 5 to 15 years. I think I need to leave here, now, and would if I could afford it. I can't stand to watch everything die.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#51 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

:( sorry Linda, we can only pray that it ends sooner.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#52 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,413 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

thanks, Dawn. It will take me a couple of years to pay down debt so I can leave, but this is nowhere to try and survive. We are already dreading next summer, as it could easily surpass this year's horror show of 90 days of 100+ heat. The old record, set in 1925 was 70 days. Each summer since 2007 has gotten a little worse.

The ridiculous heat plus the fires plus utility bills which almost match my mortgage...it's enough. Not sure where I can go, but I won't stay here any longer if I can help it.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#53 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Start working on your plan now. It could turn out to be a good thing because you'll escape the heat as well as the nasty boss.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users