• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

Anyone else a fan of the Macallan? It's the first single malt I tried and I enjoy it quite a bit. I admit to being inexperienced with the finer stuff as I was a long time beer connoseur. I was wondering where it ranks compared to some of the scotches discussed here.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

Anyone else a fan of the Macallan? It's the first single malt I tried and I enjoy it quite a bit. I admit to being inexperienced with the finer stuff as I was a long time beer connoseur. I was wondering where it ranks compared to some of the scotches discussed here.

A few years ago I tried the Macallan 12 Year old Sherry Oak, and from what I recall it was a darn good dram (as so is the rest of the Macallan line up).

If anyone has ever tried the Oban 14, or Dalwhinnie 15, and likes a good Highland malt - they should consider giving the Clynelish 14 a look; a bit more flavorful, and complex, and a great single malt overall.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

A few years ago I tried the Macallan 12 Year old Sherry Oak, and from what I recall it was a darn good dram (as so is the rest of the Macallan line up).

If anyone has ever tried the Oban 14, or Dalwhinnie 15, and likes a good Highland malt - they should consider giving the Clynelish 14 a look; a bit more flavorful, and complex, and a great single malt overall.

I'll check them out at some point, though I'm enjoying the Macallan so much, I wonder if I should stick with it. Is it bad that reading Neil Peart's books is what piqued my interest in it in the first place?
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

I'll check them out at some point, though I'm enjoying the Macallan so much, I wonder if I should stick with it. Is it bad that reading Neil Peart's books is what piqued my interest in it in the first place?

Was in Iowa visiting the in-laws a few weeks ago; the hotel we stayed at has a nice bar with a decent selection of single malts; had me a few of the Macallan 12 Sherry Oak to remind myself what a delightful dram it is.

For those who enjoy Balvenie scotch whiskies their 15 yr Single Barrel is really top notch; typical honey/vanilla on the nose, and palate with a generous amount of spice (higher abv 47.8%)...Finish is long, and warming...Great stuff!

Also tried something new - Glenfarclas 12 yr...Sherried single malt with candied fruit (think Christmas stollen, or fruit cake) on the nose, and palate with a good slightly spicey/sweet finish...For those who like the Macallan 12 Sherry Oak, or Balvenie 12 DBL Wood are gonna love the Glenfarclas 12!

#25 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Bump...

These past few years I've been going to a "Sport Clips" not too far from where I live to get my ears lowered...It's in a newer strip mall which also happens to have a cigar/spirits shop just a few doors down.

Once in a while I'll have a cigar (usually spring/summer/fall), and I've been meaning to check this store out for some time - so with spring/summer just around the corner - I checked it out, and I'm glad I did...They had a huge humidor with a wide selection of different cigars, but even more impressive was their nice selection of Balvenie single malts (my personal fave distiller).

I've been meaning to try the Balvenie 17 yr Peated Cask which they had; the gal behind the counter poured me a very generous amount (left her a nice tip)...The nose was sweet with what I could gather was slightly peppery/slight hint of smoke...Palate was typical Balvenie honey/vanilla with hints of pepper/smoke (reminds me of the Oban 14 yr)...Finish was nice, warm, and sweet with a slight lingering of the pepper/smoke.

All in all a great dram; not overly smoky/peaty, but a true Balvenie with hints of smoke...A really great balance!

Too bad this stuff isn't cheap <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users