• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cusimano_brothers

NHL Research and Development Camp:

Rate this topic

I hate the proposed offside rules, unless it's clearly intentional offside but that puts too much control in the linesman's hands. I can't think of many situations when a team goes offside for their own benefit. The one change I would make is if a player is interfered with at the line he is not considered offside. I've seen it too many times where a player gets pushed over the blue line before his teammate has a change to skate the puck over or dump it in, resulting in a whistle.

I also dont like the idea of moving a player back if he does something illegal on the face-off because I feel like the officials randomly decide when to throw a player out of the circle.

I like the ideas of the 4 on 4 ot followed by 3 on 3, then a shoot out though. Its different and I think it'd be more exciting a shootout.

I like the full penalty duration.

I like no touch icing variation. If the defender is winning by the faceoff dot whistle, otherwise let it continue.

I like the yellow line in the net.

I like the new camera in the net.

I would want more clarification on the bit about goalies covering the puck outside the crease.

Thinner nets I would consider.

The yellow line in the net seems like a good thing. The only point of testing it would be to make sure it works as planned.

Serving the full penalties is something I just can't get on board with considering that they dropped that rule to prevent teams from scoring more than one goal on a penalty.

Those are the two I have comments on. I'm eagerly awaiting others' responses to see what the rest of you think.

The yellow line in the net seems like a good thing. The only point of testing it would be to make sure it works as planned.

Serving the full penalties is something I just can't get on board with considering that they dropped that rule to prevent teams from scoring more than one goal on a penalty.

Those are the two I have comments on. I'm eagerly awaiting others' responses to see what the rest of you think.

Generally, I'm not in favor of the rules that try to increase scoring- like serving full penalties. I'd like the trapezoid to be removed, and I'm not sure how I feel about the hybrid icing rule. I like touch-up icing, but the injuries that result from it can be serious.

I like the same ones I did last year, and dislike the rest...

The ones I like:

- Removal of trapezoid

- Yellow-line/cameras in net to review goals

- Making an offending team not just touch the puck, but clear the zone on a delayed penalty

- Revised OT (4v4, followed by 3v3, followed by 5 man shootout)

Rules I would like to see added:

- No more "intent to blow" - if the whistle is not physically blown, the play is/was live and is taken into consideration when reviewing goals

- Goaltender interference revised - If the goalie is out of the crease, interference no longer applies/fair game

- Goalie pad adjustment (make the leg pads more narrow)

- When a review is sent "to Toronto", the on-ice officials no longer get to make the call and what the "war-room" says, is final.

- 2 on ice officials, each is assigned a zone and can only make calls in said zone (neutral zone applies to both) - thus removing the "call from the other end of the rink" calls

- Additional official off-ice, on headset, can radio to on ice officials for physically dangerous penalties only (obstruction excluded) behind the play that were missed by on ice officials - slashes behind the play, sucker punches, late hits, etc...

Edited by stevkrause

The ones about the yellow verification line and in camera nets to help determine goals more effectively seems worthwhile.

The offsides stuff seems unnecessary and gimmicky. It's not like players are always going offsides to get a line change or something. Usually it's just mistiming or a missed pass by teammates.

As for serving a full penalty even when someone scores, my fear is that because it makes a power play so punitive, refs would swallow their whistles more.

Oh my. That would make going down 2 men very bad. No way that this gets adopted.

Based on Shanny's quote in the article, it doesn't sound like any of these will be adopted soon. They're just collecting information and testing things.

I don't know if I like the proposal of the no icing if you are short handed either!! I'm also not in favor of having to serve the entire 2 minutes, and the main reason for this is simply because of all the BS calls that get called on the interference and garbage. It makes a bad call look even worse.

I would like the idea of getting rid of the trapezoid and I never understood why they put that rule in anyway!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of the damn Shootouts, if they are not going to serve a purpose, they why waste the time. 4 on 4 and then 3 on 3, if still tied, then tie the damn game! Seriously!!

I really like the changes to the net with the "green zone" and the better overhead camera angles and the shorter nets.

All in all I like what the league is doing, but honestly there is not much to change. Just simply go back to the pre-lockout rules and all will be well again. There was nothing wrong with the game before the lockout, so just revert back! Just my two cents!

I don't really like the considered changes to penalties (not allowed to ice and/or playing the full two minutes). I would however, like them to implement a rule that if your team is up and takes a penalty and there is not enough time left in the game for the full penalty to be served the game extends until either the other team scores or the penalty expires. Similar to in football where the the game can't end with the defense taking a penalty on the last play. I hate when a team is up by a goal, 10 seconds left in the game, the team that is down has a great scoring chance and so the team that is up takes a blatant and easily avoidable penalty completely negating the scoring chance and all that happens is that the team that is ahead is short handed for 10 seconds. At a time where a penalty is most detrimental to a team that is behind there is almost no consequence to the team that is ahead in taking the penalty and there is a huge benefit in taking one. That would be my number one change (well that and getting rid of the instigator penalty).

Did they change anything after last years? Dog and pony show.

Shanahan from the article:

"From the outset, we conceived of the camp with the belief that our game has never been better. And we wanted to collect information and data and learn about our game at one of its highest moments, so that, if a trend we didn’t like started to develop, we already had years of information to better prepare us for making any adjustment we need.

"It’s staying on top of the game and, at the same time, preserving the integrity of hockey.”

I'm confused about the spring loaded piece of curved glass, how would that help?

Think of it this way - you fall and hit your head on two coffee tables... one is round and has curved edges, the other is square and has points

Which one would you rather hit your head on?

The spring loading is to absorb the impact... I like it and think it's far overdue...

Nothing yet about the Leaue getting more competent officials, both on-ice and off-ice? Pity.

no kidding <_<