• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Next question: Which would you rather lose, your right leg or left?
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#42 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

But ultimately, this thread isn't about me or Hudler, so let's stop this s*** and everyone can stop taking the little jabs at me because they think they're the next Jose Jalapeno... on a stick.

But that won't stop you, will it?

Out of our top eight forwards, Franzen is the one I would be most willing to trade. Hudler hasn't produced as much; but he has shown that he is capable of playing well beyond Franzen's established (regular season) ceiling, plus Hudler is much younger and is improving while Franzen has been declining. A Franzen deal would be for a bonafide top-line scorer or a top-pairing defenseman, while Homer or Bert alone bring back almost nothing. Filppula has more trade value than Franzen, but he's also more important to the team and a better player than Franzen, and that gap will only increase. It's not worth dealing him now instead of Franzen unless it's a deal in Detroit's favor for a guy like Doughty or Stamkos, Filppula is the only major piece of the current team given up, and the deal doesn't happen if it's Franzen.

Posted Image

#43 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

too hard to pick as clearly, i'm a big Z fan, but he and Dats are my 2 favorites and it's hard to pick one, so i'll agree with Electrophile and can holland for his misuse of the cap.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#44 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:59 AM

Well, 70 people chose Dats, and 9 chose Zetterburg. I think its because Pavel is flipping hilarious, and I haven't seen anything that Hank has said that has made me laugh.
IPB Image

#45 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:20 AM

Well, 70 people chose Dats, and 9 chose Zetterburg. I think its because Pavel is flipping hilarious, and I haven't seen anything that Hank has said that has made me laugh.

I think it's kind of funny and convenient how you misspelled Zetterberg right before stating that your impression of him pales in comparison.

#46 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:23 AM

I think it's kind of funny and convenient how you misspelled Zetterberg right before stating that your impression of him pales in comparison.

I was thinking "Zetterburger". Now I'm done explaining to you for the rest of your life. Bye.
IPB Image

#47 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:01 AM

I picked Dats. I hate even saying that, because it sounds like a horrible insult to Zetterberg, but honestly, I'd pick Dats over anybody in the whole league. Just a little biased here.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#48 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:07 AM

Datsyuk,he's simply better

Zetterberg's back problems cancel out the age difference between them

#49 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

I’m not sure what to do with this one. Sovetsky Sport’s Pavel Lyasenkov spoke to KHL commentator Sergey Gimaev (according to Alex Ovetjkin, he’s the most popular KHL TV personality) about the possibility of Ilya Kovalchuk, Evgeni Malkin, Ilya Bryzgalov (seriously), Sergei Gonchar or Pavel Datsyuk possibly becoming the captains of their respective NHL teams, and Gimaev suggested that it’s Datsyuk, not Henrik Zetterberg, who should succeed Nicklas Lidstrom as Zetterberg isn’t a “unique” player and Datsyuk is one. I could see Datsyuk being the captain, but I don’t think he’d be very comfortable with the job, even if his English was more like Lidstrom’s than Tomas Holmstrom’s.

http://www.kuklaskor...g_the_equation/

#50 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

The Russian version of Don Cherry thinks Datsyuk should be his team's Captain?

What's next, Don Cherry says the NHL should stop it with the instigator rule?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#51 w00p33

w00p33

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

I'm in the minority with z here. '09-'10 z was the easier choice, though technically D is the better player. But leadership is a huge factor not supported by stats, so I gave z that one pretty easy. When D stepped up into that fight he altered my perception a bit. Overall though the fact that the next Captain is likely to be Z and he grew into that role well, I have to give him the tiny edge due to that.

Bottom line, Dats is a better player but Zetterberg is (just over the edge) a more important player to the team.

A little off-topic but still a valid point, there isn't a single team in this league that wouldn't be better for either one of them (including all the champions since '02).

#52 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

I'd get rid of Holland for offering Hudler a $15 million dollar contract and keep both Pavs and Hank.

It's a thought experiment. It's like when people are given the question, "Would you kill a crying baby to protect a dozen people from a Nazi patrol," and someone answers, "I'd raise a Zombie army and defeat the Nazis -- don't even have to worry about the baby!" If you don't like the question and its parameters, don't participate.

As for me, the answer is obviously Datsyuk. That doesn't mean that I don't love Z, or that I don't think he's an amazing combination of shutdown forward + goal scorer, which is rare. But his health (back) problems always seem to be one check away from sidelining him for a few weeks, and he seems to be slowing down, despite being younger than Dats. My subjective feeling is that when we're down and need something amazing, Dats is more likely to pull it off than Z.

go wings.

#53 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

There's a lot of solid reasons to choose Datsyuk. He's the more talented, and one of the most exciting players in the league. He's also healthier overall than Z is.

But those who are saying he's more clutch than Zetterberg have a very short memory. Z is as clutch if not moreso than Dats. Since the lockout, Z has been over a point per game player in the postseason. And he's coming off an 80 point season where he was a major factor in carrying the team while Datsyuk was out. His points just aren't as dazzling as Dats.

All that being said, I worry that his back and wrist problems are more chronic than they've let on and that his best years are behind him (I'm hoping I'm wrong). Where Datsyuk probably has a couple more great seasons in him. So I'd reluctantly go with Datsyuk. What you lose in the shutdown forward and fearless player Z is in the tough areas of the ice, you make up for in jaw-dropping displays with Dats.

#54 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

But those who are saying he's more clutch than Zetterberg have a very short memory. Z is as clutch if not moreso than Dats. Since the lockout, Z has been over a point per game player in the postseason. And he's coming off an 80 point season where he was a major factor in carrying the team while Datsyuk was out. His points just aren't as dazzling as Dats.

I'm not sure if it's true anymore (if not then he's certainly still near the top), but since the lockout he leads the league in playoff goals and points. EDIT: After some more research I'm fairly confident that he's still number one in both categories. Hank is narrowly ahead of Danny Briere, with 94 points to Briere's 93.

If Hank is anything, he's The Determinator. He'll win the game! That's what he does! That's ALL he does! You can't stop him!

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown, 23 August 2011 - 07:23 PM.

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#55 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm not sure if it's true anymore (if not then he's certainly still near the top), but since the lockout he leads the league in playoff goals and points. EDIT: After some more research I'm fairly confident that he's still number one in both categories. Hank is narrowly ahead of Danny Briere, with 94 points to Briere's 93.

If Hank is anything, he's The Determinator. He'll win the game! That's what he does! That's ALL he does! You can't stop him!

I totally forgot about that. I remember hearing that stat during the playoffs.

If that's not clutch, what is?

#56 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:11 AM

Thats like saying would you rather keep Yzerman or Lidstrom. <_<

#57 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:00 AM

this thread again?
what

#58 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:57 AM

both, duh.

2 v 5 if we can't afford anybody else.
Posted Image

#59 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

It's getting mighty quiet round these parts and I was bored so lets see who people would rather keep if it came down to it. Say, just for a random example, Holland decided to give Hudler a $15 million a year contract for the next 10 years and the only option for clearing cap space was to trade Zetterberg or DJ Pavvy-D. Which one would yas rather keep?

Oh good, so were basing a thread on something that would never happen. That make sense for arguments sake. ;)
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#60 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

Zettertrain.