• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Crosby's 2012 Season now in Question

Rate this topic

If your a true hockey fan, not just a homer, you hope he recovers well enough to play again. Like it or not he is great for the game. Hell if all the players I disliked/hated never played again there would definitely be some serious contraction in the league.

Exactly.

I friggin HATED Gretzky when he was playing. You think Crosby whines to the refs? You should've seen Gretzky. He had more complaints to refs than he did points in his career.

That being said, there's still no denying how great he was.

I friggin HATED Gretzky when he was playing. You think Crosby whines to the refs? You should've seen Gretzky. He had more complaints to refs than he did points in his career.

I think this then means that Crosby would be amusing as hell to watch as a coach. :lol:

gretzky-wayne_584.jpg

i'll throw my hat in with the group that doesn't like the player, but doesn't wish him ill-will either.

i think even if he does come back he won't be the same player. he'll have to limit his physical play and will be wary of going into the corners - ask brad stuart about that.

the rest of the players in the league certainly won't take it easy on him. and what happens if he has another concussion? how long will they keep him out then?

I hope Cindy is able to come back.... then take another vicious blow to the head....only to end up sidelined for the rest of his career.

what exactly is wrong with you?

That's gotta be awful. Can't push his kids on a swing. Could you imagine the look in Kris Draper's eyes if he couldn't do something like that with his kids, the kids that cheer him up after a game 7 cup loss, the ones he's had eat breakfast out of Lord Stanley's Cup, etc etc.

And what's worse, his kids are only 4, 1, and 2. What will be of his brain matter in 14-17 years when they graduate high school?

That's gotta be awful. Can't push his kids on a swing. Could you imagine the look in Kris Draper's eyes if he couldn't do something like that with his kids, the kids that cheer him up after a game 7 cup loss, the ones he's had eat breakfast out of Lord Stanley's Cup, etc etc.

And what's worse, his kids are only 4, 1, and 2. What will be of his brain matter in 14-17 years when they graduate high school?

I hear you, I really do....

But my opinion on this whole matter is:

These guys are gladiators, only they do it voluntarily and they get paid vast sums of money to do so. Of course I want every precaution to be taken to protect them, but not at the cost of what makes this sport so enjoyable.

I do feel sympathy for him not being able to physically play with his kids for more than a few minutes (that sucks, and he certainly does not deserve that), but at least he made millions of dollars securing his childrens' futures. He knowingly takes a high physical risk, but is extremely highly compensated for it. I have more sympathy for the soldier who comes home disabled and his family is stuck with GI Bills.

Edited by egroen

On a logical level I mourn the loss to hockey if a talent like Crosby is taken out too soon, but just to be honest, and also because I empathize with those who have taken a lot of heat for basically stating "Great! I hope he's out for good!", I'll state that:

Career ending injuries happen in hockey - if I was to list the players I would most prefer it to happen to (I really do not wish it upon anyone, but for example - I would 'prefer' Corey Perry suffers a career-ending injury over someone like Datsyuk), Crosby might just sneak into my Top 10.

Flame away! :)

Don Cherry, in his old time wisdom, several years ago did a piece on new hockey equipment, and picked up some of the new heavy plastic/urethane pads and was talking about how guys were going to go full-tilt at someone because they wouldn't be able to feel it back. Then he showed some of the old felt pads that guys had worn forever. Talked about how you never heard of concussions/major injuries after hits in the old days because players were going to knock over other players, didn't need to be armored like a tank.

I can't find it on youtube at the moment, but i know i've seen it.

Hockey was actually safer when it was more violent in the 80's and nineties. Line clearing brawls may look worse than a blindside hit 2 the head, but there not, ide rather see stuff like that as retribution for a team or individuals action then a dirty blindside, or from behind hits to the head. the problem now is players dont have to pay the price ON THE ICE, if they make a dirty play.

Oh a fine and sitting a couple games and a fine will teach them! right?

Not really, these guys have deep pockets and its a long season. on the other hand if the guy gets his ass beat everytime he steps on the ice, cuz he is dirty (matt cooke) hes not gunna last long in the league.

And im not talking about a north south hits 2 the head, thats the player with the pucks fault should have had his head up. If they dis allow those hits to the head, a guy can just skate around the ice with his head down in order to protect himself from being touched.

yes i know it was a bit off topic,

Edited by wings1110

http://sports.sympatico.ca/nhl/contentposting?newsitemid=7866699&feedname=cp-sports-hockey&show=true&number=0&showbyline=true&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=true&pagenumber=3&paginationenabled=false

An update on Sid. I think he's out the year, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's it for his career. There's no way I think he can be the same player he once was.

Actually I know a guy who plays golf with one of the doctors who looked at Crosby. It wasn't just the concussion, Sid suffered from whiplash as well. It's serious!

Hockey was actually safer when it was more violent in the 80's and nineties. Line clearing brawls may look worse than a blindside hit 2 the head, but there not, ide rather see stuff like that as retribution for a team or individuals action then a dirty blindside, or from behind hits to the head. the problem now is players dont have to pay the price ON THE ICE, if they make a dirty play.

Oh a fine and sitting a couple games and a fine will teach them! right?

I don't think it has anything to do with fighting, the game's become to fast when they got rid of all the obstruction post lockout.

http://sports.sympatico.ca/nhl/contentposting?newsitemid=7866699&feedname=cp-sports-hockey&show=true&number=0&showbyline=true&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=true&pagenumber=3&paginationenabled=false

An update on Sid. I think he's out the year, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's it for his career. There's no way I think he can be the same player he once was.

Actually I know a guy who plays golf with one of the doctors who looked at Crosby. It wasn't just the concussion, Sid suffered from whiplash as well. It's serious!

I don't think it has anything to do with fighting, the game's become to fast when they got rid of all the obstruction post lockout.

that 2

Guest 13GoWings40

http://sports.sympat...onenabled=false

I think it's a little soon to be giving up on his career. For about a year no one thought Lilja would ever play a game again, and then one day Mickey Redmond makes a comment about Lilja returning and he was back within a week. Concussions can just be weird like that, you feel great and then the next day you feel like s*** or vice versa. I just hope Crosby's concussion takes the Lilja route and not the Eric Lindros route.

Also, in the last 10-15 years researchers have found that almost everyone diagnosed with whiplash in the 80s and 90s actually had concussion-like bruising on the brain stem. I think they still classify this type of bruising as whiplash, but it really is more like a concussion and that may have been what that doctor meant.

"Because Crosby showed no immediate signs of a concussion after being drilled by a blindside hit from the Capitals' David Steckel during the Winter Classic on Jan. 1 at Heinz Field, he stayed in the game."

Bias much? :rolleyes:

esteef

Edited by esteef

"Because Crosby showed no immediate signs of a concussion after being drilled by a blindside hit from the Capitals' David Steckel during the Winter Classic on Jan. 1 at Heinz Field, he stayed in the game."

Bias much? :rolleyes:

esteef

Bias? Where's the bias? The statement is "fact." I suppose it depends on what you are reading into it. I don't think the writer was trying to say that Steckel went out and drilled him with a vicious hit, otherwise, the writer would have gone on to say more about. I know there are some out there that think the contact was on purpose, but the vast majority think it was accidentaal contact...but either way, he was "drilled by a blindside hit."

If you step back and think about things now though, you have to really question the Pens medical staff, reasons as follows:

- When I was watching the game on TV, after seeing that hit, I was thinking concussion immediately, surely the medical staff must have had concerns as well. Regardless of what Crosby may have said to them, why on earth wouldn't they keep him out of the rest of the game? One period of a regular season game...keep him out just for precaution. Perhaps he continued to play just because of the nature of that game.

- I've read that he did experience some symptoms before the TB game, which was somehow explained away, but again, combining the fact he took that headshot, had some sort of headaches/illness afterwards, surely you think you'd hold him out of hte next game for precautionary reasons.

- Then, in the TB he takes the hit from behind into the glass. If you watch that play, he doesn't look well at all after the hit. Again, I'm pretty sure he finished the rest of the game....what? How is that possible.

Anyway, my line of thought is to take a lot of caution when you see something that could be potentials for concussion. Knowing everything we know now and don't know, why wouldn't you be as cautious as possible. There is a lot of people out there that think he would have been back playing last year if they had just kept him out after the Steckel hit. Not playing the next game, but definately not out this long.

While I cannot stand Crosby, I have to agree with the others on this board that said it would be a shame for his career to end this way. On the other hand, I'm glad they're taking their time, it really wouldn't be fair to the opposing team having to tiptoe around Crosby for fear of ending his career with a legal hit.

it really wouldn't be fair to the opposing team having to tiptoe around Crosby for fear of ending his career with a legal hit.

Oh yeah... When he comes back, it's as if every opponent will get a penalty for skating within a 5 foot radius of him.

The Bettman Bubble.

Edited by Red Wings Addict

The irony of the whole Cooke/Savard and Crosby + Lemieux outrage does not escape me, either.

Haha. You know, I think I used irony in the same manner and my buddy, who's a creative writer, told me the story I told was not real irony, just plain "karmic" tragedy. Now I'm not quite sure what's what.

Haha. You know, I think I used irony in the same manner and my buddy, who's a creative writer, told me the story I told was not real irony, just plain "karmic" tragedy. Now I'm not quite sure what's what.

It's probably neither really. Just because Cooke plays on the same team, doesn't really correlate to Crosby. If Cooke was the player out now, then you'd probably be talking about Karma...your buddy is probably right, irony likely is not the correct word. However, I am no expert in writing or grammer. I think irony really refers to an outcome that is the opposite of what you intended.