• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Crosby's 2012 Season now in Question

Rate this topic

It's probably neither really. Just because Cooke plays on the same team, doesn't really correlate to Crosby. If Cooke was the player out now, then you'd probably be talking about Karma...your buddy is probably right, irony likely is not the correct word. However, I am no expert in writing or grammer. I think irony really refers to an outcome that is the opposite of what you intended.

Apparently one of the better examples (he told me this earlier today) is when you're a guy who has trouble socializing with the womens and so you go see a therapist who is also a guy to help you with these problems and offer you advice. The therapy significantly helps and you're out there trying to meet some womens and you meet this "perfect girl," only she turns out to be the wife of your therapist. Everything has to be that directly connected in order for it to be "true" irony, apparently.

As a Red Wings fan yea, I don't like the guy

-But-

If you don't respect him as a hockey player, recognize he's one of the best talents in the NHL and he's great for the game you don't deserve to discuss hockey in any shape or form. Throw a plastic bag over your head instead.

How did the instigator rule get brought up in a thread about a player who was injured on pretty random plays?

Steckel didn't see Crosby, and Hedman bumped him on the boards.

It's actually a natural progression when you think about it. Injuries have been rampant lately that weren't prevalent pre-instigator rule.

It's actually a natural progression when you think about it. Injuries have been rampant lately that weren't prevalent pre-instigator rule.

Well if there was some correlation to the specific incident in question I would understand the discussion. But there really isn't.

No - there isn't any direct link between Crosby's situation, and the instigator pen.

However there have been numerous high hits over the years that have resulted in injury (be it a concussion, or in Brad Stuarts case a broken jaw)...Just an interesting comment made by Gretzky is all.

The point being there's always going to be head injuries in the game of hockey - that's just the unfortunate reality...Now if there's a chance that the removal of the instigator pen may reduce that number (even a slight reduction) by keeping players "honest" - then I'm all for it...To add I also believe the shoulder/elbow padding needs to be modified along with allowing some of the obstruction that we had seen in the game pre 1995.

Just my $0.02

I think maybe what doc is saying is the hit on crosby wasn't dirty...so there would be no need for player retaliation so no need to talk about the instigator pen

No - there isn't any direct link between Crosby's situation, and the instigator pen.

However there have been numerous high hits over the years that have resulted in injury (be it a concussion, or in Brad Stuarts case a broken jaw)...Just an interesting comment made by Gretzky is all.

The point being there's always going to be head injuries in the game of hockey - that's just the unfortunate reality...Now if there's a chance that the removal of the instigator pen may reduce that number (even a slight reduction) by keeping players "honest" - then I'm all for it...To add I also believe the shoulder/elbow padding needs to be modified along with allowing some of the obstruction that we had seen in the game pre 1995.

Just my $0.02

Well that's all well and good, but I'm not going to derail a thread to a 30 page argument over the instigator and the role of enforcing preventing injuries.

Guest 13GoWings40

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-do-you-expect-Sidney-Crosby-to-say-at-press;_ylt=ApXq1w7hCOnTT5eTVgFrwe97vLYF?urn=nhl-wp11933

"We asked the Penguins if they would squash retirement speculation on the record; they declined, saying they wouldn't confirm nor deny anything about the nature of the press conference."

The Penguins are holding a press conference with Crosby. As far as I can tell it will be at 12:30 tomorrow. I really hope it's not a major announcement like him missing the season, but if it's not why the press conference with advanced notice? I can't remember a team ever calling a press conference with a player just to discuss an injury rehab no matter who it is. I have a feeling this could be bad...

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

As per @DarrenDreger, Crosby'sbeen skating. Will skate tomorrow in PIT, do the newser, go to NYC on Thursday and be back skating Fri in PIT.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-do-you-expect-Sidney-Crosby-to-say-at-press;_ylt=ApXq1w7hCOnTT5eTVgFrwe97vLYF?urn=nhl-wp11933

"We asked the Penguins if they would squash retirement speculation on the record; they declined, saying they wouldn't confirm nor deny anything about the nature of the press conference."

The Penguins are holding a press conference with Crosby. As far as I can tell it will be at 12:30 tomorrow. I really hope it's not a major announcement like him missing the season, but if it's not why the press conference with advanced notice? I can't remember a team ever calling a press conference with a player just to discuss an injury rehab no matter who it is. I have a feeling this could be bad...

There's been so much speculation I think they felt the had no choice but to, you know, actually let people talk to Crosby and ask him if he's ready to go. My suspicion is that he'll be ready to go fairly soon if he's skating frequently symptom-free.

This is what will happen:

1 - he will confirm that he will be ready to go at the start of training camp (10 days or so from now); or

2 - he will confirm that he will not be ready to go at the start of training camp.

If he is not going to actually confirm 1 or 2, then there really is no need for him to speak to the media.

I highly, highly doubt he will confirm anything beyond the start of training camp because of the nature of his injury (it's not like Savard who has a lot of history with concussions and has had severe daily symptoms for quite some time). If he confirms he won't be ready to start training camp, that doesn't mean he won't be ready come early October, I doubt he know that for certain.

I'm no expert though, maybe he knows more about how long he will be out than I'm guessing. One thing I'm extremely confident in is that he won't be making any retirement announcement tomorrow or even a significant time off announcement either. If it was either of those, he wouldn't be working out and skating. That doesn't mean he won't miss a big chunk of the year, I just don't think he's in a position to even know that.

Edit...also, I'm confident in saying that anything beyond what I just said is speculation (doesn't mean it's not right, but speculation in that know one really knows).

Edited by toby91_ca

Unless it's to announce his retirement, I see no need for a freakin' press conference.

But he is the face of the NHL dummy... <_<

Actually, with all the speculation that's been going on recently, he really needs to have this press conference. The problem is, if nothing concrete is reported, it may be a waste of time.

I've heard a lot of critism thrown Crosby's way over the summer for "not speaking", now I'm also hearing critism thrown his way because he is planning to "speak." It's actually pretty funny.

Actually, with all the speculation that's been going on recently, he really needs to have this press conference. The problem is, if nothing concrete is reported, it may be a waste of time.

I've heard a lot of critism thrown Crosby's way over the summer for "not speaking", now I'm also hearing critism thrown his way because he is planning to "speak." It's actually pretty funny.

As far as I'm concerned, he need never speak again. :lol:

Guest 13GoWings40

I personally don't care whether he speak or doesn't, I just find it interesting that he is. Yzerman was injured in 2003, didn't call a press conference, and returned. Rafalski was injured in 2011, called a press conference out of nowhere, and retired. I just don't know why there would be a press conference for the sole purpose of refuting rumors.

I personally don't care whether he speak or doesn't, I just find it interesting that he is. Yzerman was injured in 2003, didn't call a press conference, and returned. Rafalski was injured in 2011, called a press conference out of nowhere, and retired. I just don't know why there would be a press conference for the sole purpose of refuting rumors.

1 - Media/internet/social media is light years ahead of where it was in 2003, completely different environment.

2 - Crosby is a bit more high profile than Rafalski.

I really think it's a personal preference when it comes to calling a conference. Eg Ozzie. So whatever it is, it's something Sid must think is important enough for it

1 - Media/internet/social media is light years ahead of where it was in 2003, completely different environment.

2 - Crosby is a bit more high profile than Rafalski.

This.

I know a press conference only fuels the fire for those who hate all the attention he gets, but the reality is it's been an offseason of wild speculation and rumors about his prognosis. Hearing it from his whiny lips should set the record straight once and for all.

I really think it's a personal preference when it comes to calling a conference. Eg Ozzie. So whatever it is, it's something Sid must think is important enough for it

well not so much that he thinks its important, he just thinks HE is so important. Im suprised he doesnt call a press conference every time he takes a s***.