• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

Crosby's 2012 Season now in Question

Rate this topic

The whole point of the conference was Crosby and doctors talking about Crosby. If that's not the Crosby Show, I don't know what is.

All for: "I don't know when I'm coming back."

No one outside of Pittsburgh gives a s*** about him today. Dozens of hockey players died, leaving behind families and friends forever. Sidney is having headaches and might not play for a few months, or maybe he will. The conference was a whole lot of nothing being announced, while they're still pulling the bodies of hockey players out of the Volga.

Just wait one day; how tough would that have been?

I'm facilitating a training session in Toronto today and I can tell you that the 50-60 people in my room were gathered around their computers listening to the press conference and I know several media members flew into Pittsburgh from across the US and Canada last night to attend. To say that no one outside of Pitts gives a s*** about him today is false.

The fact is that the media has been begging for this for months, moreso in the last few weeks, it was scheduled, everyone came from out of town, postponing a 20 minute presser by a day wouldn't have made much sense at all. It would have been easy for the Pens organization and Crosby to do it, but the media would have exploded if they did.

I know your intention is to minimize Crosby's health concerns with the tragedy in Russia, which I whole heartedly agree with, but you didn't have to minimize Crosby's issue all together to make your point. I listend to the preseer and I can tell you that it was pretty scaring some of the stuff the doctors were saying.

Edited by toby91_ca

The whole point of the conference was Crosby and doctors talking about Crosby. If that's not the Crosby Show, I don't know what is.

No one outside of Pittsburgh gives a s*** about him today. Dozens of hockey players died, leaving behind families and friends forever. Sidney is having headaches and might not play for a few months, or maybe he will. The conference was a whole lot of nothing being announced, while they're still pulling the bodies of hockey players out of the Volga.

You are highly misinformed and pretty ignorant by that claim. I dont even like Crosby, but I respect his skill and him as a player and what hes going through. It was a very good conference where it educated alot of people about concussions and hopefully opened up the leagues eyes. What if Datsyuk had suffered a concussions like Crosby and continued to do the Press Conference anyways despite a plane crashing earlier would you still be acting the way you are ?

Completely agree with this but hit 'neg' by mistake. :P Oh noes! What will we ever do without Crosby playing ******* hockey for a while. Let's have a presser so we all know when to begin mourning the loss of ticket sales!

esteef

I guess the reason I though i was a huge waste of time was not getting one single piece of new news, but to constantly hear team doctors who don't play the game continuously say how he is a ferrari out there compared to other players, that he is the best player in the league, and that him at 90% is equal to every other player in the NHL at 100%. You are the team doctor, you are there to explain the injury and thats it, not shine his ball for him. I felt that for something that was basically so pointless except for a ploy to try to ease Pittsburgh fans and make sure they don't stop buying tickets.

Waste of time, and there a lot of other more important things going on in the hockey world today. If the reporters could pay for last minute flights to get there, they can pay for a night at the local hotel.

crash

Just one day. Arguably, the biggest tragedy in hockey history happened mere hours before. There was time to make a decision to postpone. Even putting it to the afternoon would have been an improvement. I don't care if the assembled Canadian national media 'explode's over it. Ultimately, there's a bigger story, particularly given the lack of a definite time frame over his return.

The issue on concussions and recovery can wait for a bit.

Canada's national sports networks disappointed me greatly by devoting their time to the full half-hour press conference. Kudos to Rogers for talking about the crash before the conference and getting people on to talk about it.

That's all I'll say about this as I feel a lot of you are missing the big picture and this isn't the thread for this discussion. Forty-three men on a team dead vs. one person's brain injury.

Back to Crosby talk.

What's to stop someone, the next game, from hitting him in much the same way Hedman did? Because I don't think that hit was among the ones that the NHL is trying to eliminate. If he gets hurt again a couple of games into a comeback, on a play like Hedman's, what have we learned?

He mentioned whiplash from the Hedman hit and feeling more pain in his neck than in his head originally. If so, how would a reduction on head shots have helped Crosby if the rules were in place then?

The doctors there said that they were confident that eventually he would not have any evidence of the concussion/brain injury. I'm sure this would have been news to anyone whose had a brain injury because IIRC, they stick with you forever.

I'll probably get more negative ratings from you old school hockey fight fans, but it was good to hear a player FINALLY say the NHL needs to ban head shots. Cindy made a good point that there's 50,000 hits a year and a ban on head shots would only effect about 50 of them, so the game won't change.

I for one do not want to see this type of press conference for Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or any other player in the NHL. Let's put a stop to head shots NOW!!

I hope Cindy continues to talk about this. I don't think he sucks, as much, anymore.

I'll probably get more negative ratings from you old school hockey fight fans, but it was good to hear a player FINALLY say the NHL needs to ban head shots. Cindy made a good point that there's 50,000 hits a year and a ban on head shots would only effect about 50 of them, so the game won't change.

I for one do not want to see this type of press conference for Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or any other player in the NHL. Let's put a stop to head shots NOW!!

I hope Cindy continues to talk about this. I don't think he sucks, as much, anymore.

I'm chuckling because I'm giving a +1 to a post that says Cindy in it but I agree with the overall sentiment. And thank you for your well wishes in the other (Lokomotiv crash) thread (didn't want to take it off topic).

In general they sound pretty optimistic about his recovery and ability to play so far, I think the difference would be recovery time. In light of what we are continuing to learn about concussions, it sounds to me like players in the past just weren't taking enough time off to heal and that's had long term consequences. If this were 10, even 5 years ago he might have been back on the ice for the playoffs or something.

He may or may not be on the same trajectory as a player if he comes back, but in the end, for him and any other player that has suffered a brain injury, it isn't just about playing hockey longer term or even playing at all, it's also considering longer term quality of life outside of hockey. If it's one thing we've all been reminded of with today's tragedy, the players are so much more than just hockey players, they are also living, breathing human beings with loved ones and families, with lives that matter outside of hockey.

Edited by Free_Candy

Guest Shoreline

Just one day. Arguably, the biggest tragedy in hockey history happened mere hours before. There was time to make a decision to postpone. Even putting it to the afternoon would have been an improvement. I don't care if the assembled Canadian national media 'explode's over it. Ultimately, there's a bigger story, particularly given the lack of a definite time frame over his return.

The issue on concussions and recovery can wait for a bit.

Canada's national sports networks disappointed me greatly by devoting their time to the full half-hour press conference. Kudos to Rogers for talking about the crash before the conference and getting people on to talk about it.

That's all I'll say about this as I feel a lot of you are missing the big picture and this isn't the thread for this discussion. Forty-three men on a team dead vs. one person's brain injury.

Back to Crosby talk.

What's to stop someone, the next game, from hitting him in much the same way Hedman did? Because I don't think that hit was among the ones that the NHL is trying to eliminate. If he gets hurt again a couple of games into a comeback, on a play like Hedman's, what have we learned?

He mentioned whiplash from the Hedman hit and feeling more pain in his neck than in his head originally. If so, how would a reduction on head shots have helped Crosby if the rules were in place then?

The doctors there said that they were confident that eventually he would not have any evidence of the concussion/brain injury. I'm sure this would have been news to anyone whose had a brain injury because IIRC, they stick with you forever.

I will second these posts quoted below in sort of a response to the above:

You are highly misinformed and pretty ignorant by that claim. I dont even like Crosby, but I respect his skill and him as a player and what hes going through. It was a very good conference where it educated alot of people about concussions and hopefully opened up the leagues eyes. What if Datsyuk had suffered a concussions like Crosby and continued to do the Press Conference anyways despite a plane crashing earlier would you still be acting the way you are ?

He's not just "having headaches." He has a brain injury.

One could also argue that in light of today's tragedy, maybe we should all take a break from hating on players for petty reasons.

Despite this tragedy, I see people still taking pot shots at Crosby and the Penguins. Are my sentiments offended by this? Certainly not. It's a clue that life indeed goes on.

And to add to that -- we understand. Former players/coaches died in a plane crash, very tragic accident leaving everyone but two (still fighting for their lives as I type this) dead.

However, life and business do not cease due to tragedy across the world, even if mentally it hits close to home. TSN, CBC, Sportsnet.. can only cover a news piece so much before it has to return to what's going on in the NHL and the seriousness behind concussions and it's impact on players. The Crosby issue and concussions is a rather important issue as well and this press conference should not be suspended merely because some are unable to grasp the nature of two serious issues at once. To suggest that it should be put off is exaggerated political correctness, not surprisingly combined with downplaying Crosby's injury, especially in light of the issue being respectfully mentioned already during the press conference itself.

If talking about concussions and Crosby's injury is not something that appeals to you, simply find other news sources which are covering it with the same sentiment, stay away from this topic, whatever, but it's going nowhere trying to appeal to others to stop business and ignore this issue because there's an important one going on elsewhere. That's well ridiculous.

I'm chuckling because I'm giving a +1 to a post that says Cindy in it but I agree with the overall sentiment. And thank you for your well wishes in the other (Lokomotiv crash) thread (didn't want to take it off topic).

In general they sound pretty optimistic about his recovery and ability to play so far, I think the difference would be recovery time. In light of what we are continuing to learn about concussions, it sounds to me like players in the past just weren't taking enough time off to heal and that's had long term consequences. If this were 10, even 5 years ago he might have been back on the ice for the playoffs or something.

He may or may not be on the same trajectory as a player if he comes back, but in the end, for him and any other player that has suffered a brain injury, it isn't just about playing hockey longer term or even playing at all, it's also considering longer term quality of life outside of hockey. If it's one thing we've all been reminded of with today's tragedy, the players are so much more than just hockey players, they are also living, breathing human beings with loved ones and families, with lives that matter outside of hockey.

My sense is an overwhelming majority of us on here still dislike him to a great degree but also feel a pure desire towards a successful recovery for him so that he can return to the game as a top player in the league.

I do hope Crosby plays again, but where was he calling for head-shots to be banned when it happened to Marc Savard?

He was actually quoted by several media back then suggested that something needs to change. He wasn't calling for a ban, but back then, no one was even thinking in that frame of thought. A lot of things changed since then.

I will second these posts quoted below in sort of a response to the above:

Despite this tragedy, I see people still taking pot shots at Crosby and the Penguins. Are my sentiments offended by this? Certainly not. It's a clue that life indeed goes on.

And to add to that -- we understand. Former players/coaches died in a plane crash, very tragic accident leaving everyone but two (still fighting for their lives as I type this) dead.

However, life and business do not cease due to tragedy across the world, even if mentally it hits close to home. TSN, CBC, Sportsnet.. can only cover a news piece so much before it has to return to what's going on in the NHL and the seriousness behind concussions and it's impact on players. The Crosby issue and concussions is a rather important issue as well and this press conference should not be suspended merely because some are unable to grasp the nature of two serious issues at once. To suggest that it should be put off is exaggerated political correctness, not surprisingly combined with downplaying Crosby's injury, especially in light of the issue being respectfully mentioned already during the press conference itself.

If talking about concussions and Crosby's injury is not something that appeals to you, simply find other news sources which are covering it with the same sentiment, stay away from this topic, whatever, but it's going nowhere trying to appeal to others to stop business and ignore this issue because there's an important one going on elsewhere. That's well ridiculous.

Pretty much spot on. I dislike Crosby like pretty much everybody else in here but this is beyond stupid what I am seeing in here, like Crosby could've predicted that this tragedy could have happened on the same day of this scheduled conference and that Crosby is going to act all self-righteous saying look at me I'm cool and not talking about the tragic deaths. All this goes to show is how people's pettiness towards him in here is just absurdly off the deep end.

1. Crosby had no clue this would also happen on the same day.

2. While the wait one day to have this conference in consideration like some suggested is nice and theory and I can roll with this thought, this press conference was going to go on as scheduled unless something unforseen happened wherever Crosby or this press conference was. I don't see the big deal or how overly inconsiderate this is.

3. If they wanted to have a press conference, let them have one for f**k sake, Sidney Crosby/"famous person we like"/"famous person we don't like" or not. Given that Crosby is one of the main faces of the Pitt franchise whether we like it or not or whether we think that is fair or not, he is just that and given that he's been out for a long while, an update such as this doesn't hurt anybody. This is not the NYC Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade we are talking about here.

4. As much I think Crosby is a fuzznut, he's not stupid enough to be all LOOK AT ME and not for one minute not recognize the tragedy going on in Russia.

The tragedy in Russia and the Crosby bit are two completely separate things, one all about the tragedy and one all about Crosby/Pitt. Let them be that way. I have little doubt that Pitt and Crosby realize the tragedies and gave them their fair respects. That's not what their conference was about though, and people in here need to quit making it out like it needed to be a huge part of their conference (or a part of it more than necessary).

· Members are discouraged from posting in a thread in which you have nothing to constructively add. Such posts tend to simply clutter up and bloat the size of the thread while also lowering the quality of the discussion.

The topic at hand is a press conference; can we please discuss that?

Happy now?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

My sense is an overwhelming majority of us on here still dislike him to a great degree but also feel a pure desire towards a successful recovery for him so that he can return to the game as a top player in the league.

Which would be the normal and human response. Most people and fans I know (from various teams and my own) have strong opinions about players and don't always like them, but draw the line at wishing serious harm or injury on them.

In addition to what Shoreline, Southern Wings Fan and others pointed out, in additional context, the media had been on Crosby's ass all summer for not giving any interviews or updates, which I thought was stupid. A player can only say "I'm getting better, but I don't know when I'll be back" so many times, the plan was just to give one good and informative presser and be done with it. As they also had doctors flown in (with tight schedules and patients of their own) that could have also been a complicating factor in postponing it. In the end, I do think postponing it would have been a nice gesture, but I don't think any disrespect was intended by not doing so. It's probably just not worth making it into bigger controversy than it needs to be.

Edited by Free_Candy

I do hope Crosby plays again, but where was he calling for head-shots to be banned when it happened to Marc Savard?

He called out Cooke for his head shots.

Hockey needs Crosby back just as much as Crosby needs hockey back. The game, as a whole, is much better when he is playing. All this misinformed and petty hate for the guy is comical and sad. Do I like the guy? No. Do I think he is good for hockey? Yes.

Guest CaliWingsNut

He called out Cooke for his head shots.

Hockey needs Crosby back just as much as Crosby needs hockey back. The game, as a whole, is much better when he is playing. All this misinformed and petty hate for the guy is comical and sad. Do I like the guy? No. Do I think he is good for hockey? Yes.

I strongly disagree. He's the star of the moment for the NHL marketing team. His position has been filled by many before and unfortunately many more after.

So many other players in the NHL deserving of even half the publicity this guy gets.

Guest 13GoWings40

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AkmeYi2xwPb1mwLEODTYYZx7vLYF?slug=nc-cotsonika_shane_doan_head_shots_090911

Doan apparently disagrees with Crosby's call to ban headshots

“If you want to be safe, then don’t play,” Doan said Friday during the NHL’s player media tour. “Realistically, if you don’t want to get hit and you don’t want to get hurt, then don’t play. If you go out on the ice, you’re going to get hit. If you want to play shinny, then go play shinny. It’s not the same.

“And that’s not trying to be cavalier or trying to be light about the subject, because nobody wants anybody to get hurt. But the game isn’t supposed to be safe. It’s supposed to be an intense, emotional game.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AkmeYi2xwPb1mwLEODTYYZx7vLYF?slug=nc-cotsonika_shane_doan_head_shots_090911

“If you want to be safe, then don’t play,” Doan said Friday during the NHL’s player media tour. “Realistically, if you don’t want to get hit and you don’t want to get hurt, then don’t play. If you go out on the ice, you’re going to get hit. If you want to play shinny, then go play shinny. It’s not the same.

“And that’s not trying to be cavalier or trying to be light about the subject, because nobody wants anybody to get hurt. But the game isn’t supposed to be safe. It’s supposed to be an intense, emotional game.”

I'm happy the 'other side' is getting a voice here, as unpopular or non-PC as it may be. Doan could be viewed as a sadistic neanderthal with those comments, but he is simply a realist. Hockey is about the furthest thing away from a 'safe sport' as you can get without involving sharks, parachutes or underwater caves. Go overboard with taking away the speed, intensity and inherent danger of hockey and it is simply not going to be as entertaining to the masses and these players are not going to make nearly as much money doing it as they are now. Ultimately, hockey as a profession (just like any major sport), is about entertainment as much as it is about sportsmanship.

I strongly disagree. He's the star of the moment for the NHL marketing team. His position has been filled by many before and unfortunately many more after.

So many other players in the NHL deserving of even half the publicity this guy gets.

Exactly. The sport doesn't "need" Crosby and the sport isn't "better" when he's playing. This is the crux of the problem. Crosby is 1 player. Certainly one of the more talented players, but the league is over-marketing him to the extreme. They need to market some of their other stars like Ovechkin, Datsyuk, the Sedins, etc. But that is never going to happen because they are not Canadian.

Honestly, they need to try and keep as much contact away from the head as they can.

I think doing away with contact where the head is targeted in any way is a good call. And they have been way too conservative on the issue.

Exactly. The sport doesn't "need" Crosby and the sport isn't "better" when he's playing. This is the crux of the problem. Crosby is 1 player. Certainly one of the more talented players, but the league is over-marketing him to the extreme. They need to market some of their other stars like Ovechkin, Datsyuk, the Sedins, etc. But that is never going to happen because they are not Canadian.

What? Of course it is better when the best players are playing.

Guest 13GoWings40

What? Of course it is better when the best players are playing.

Of course no one wants to see a talented player injured, I think the point he was trying to make was that Crosby himself is not the reason the sport is great. Hockey is awesome and Crosby just happens to be one individual in a long line of people who have been born with a natural gift for playing the sport. Crosby does not make the NHL, the NHL simply gives people like Crosby a place to showcase the skills they have.

P.S. 100th post :thumbup: