245 replies to this topic

#41 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

From Pittsburgh Tribune-Review :

The occasional recurrence of concussion symptoms has not forced Penguins superstar center Sidney Crosby to "shut down" his offseason training, general manager Ray Shero said late Sunday.

"There are going to be some symptoms with this injury, but nothing where he's had to shut it down or anything," Shero said, noting that he was in contact with Crosby over the weekend. "He's pushed himself, which is good."

Uncle Gary is not happy with this news, especially with regards to future Bridgestone NHL Winter Classics. Besides, this situation is Pittsburgh's headache, not Detroit's.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

personally, i like crosby (minus the whining and his pathetic stache), but i hate the penguins more than any other team ever. and the whole thing with his concussion s***, he could have come back and played last year in the playoffs, but the pens organization milked the whole thing and they knew that without malkin and the fact that they have a s***ty supporting cast, there was no point in bringing crosby back, they just wanted to use crosby for publicity of head shots......1 thing they didn't think of is that the hits on crosby weren't that bad. the steckel hit, steckel just braced himself at the last second when he caught crosby out of the corner of his eye. mr. entitled wasn't paying attention at all and it resulted in him hitting the ice. the other hit from hedman, hedman didn't do anything dirty, he braced crosby and guided him into the boards and didn't even do it very hard. i'm not even sure how he got hurt on the play, and yes i watcehd it alot of times wondering how cause i've been taken into the boards the exact same way 100 times and never got hurt once.

there's alot of guys that have been hit way harder than that and alot more blindsided and are perfectly fine. even hudler is playing hockey of some sort, well, atleast entering the ice surface, we don't know what exactly the f*** he does when he's on the ice, but after the hit he took in the playoffs that was blindsided, i think from joe thornton if i'm not mistaken, he was back pretty quick, and he's a puny whimp.

point is, crosby is milking it, as are the pens, and the masterson is a joke if he gets it this coming year. i'd rather it go to jagr or yashin, and it burnt my fingers typing that garb.

You seriously think Crosby could have come back in the playoffs but the organization decided to intentionally sit him? Players don't get paid for the playoffs, so the greatest expense for owners is essentially gone for every playoff game. Making it to even one more home game rakes in a ton of money for the franchise. I can't imagine why any organization would pass that up, along with that whole trying to win the Stanley Cup thing.

Along the same lines, what's the point of them milking it now? What exactly are they gaining?

Crosby was on an absolute tear the first half of the season, it doesn't make any sense for them not to want him back into the lineup. He's an impact player that would've greatly increased their chances of making it to the next round.

As for the size of the hits, I agree, they didn't look awful. The first one he got caught unaware, but the second one is a play that happens all the time in hockey. The point is that it doesn't matter. Concussions are a fluke thing, and cumulative in nature. Once you've had one you're more likely to get another, and not necessarily from a jarring hit.

They did a study on college football players, and a guy could get crushed on one play and suffer a huge blow to the head and not get a concussion, but later the same game could get one from a routine hit. They're a strange flukey thing.

I'm sure given his young age and elite talent, they're being extremely cautious bringing him back. But that's not milking it.

#43 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

From Pittsburgh Tribune-Review :

Uncle Gary is not happy with this news, especially with regards to future Bridgestone NHL Winter Classics. Besides, this situation is Pittsburgh's headache, not Detroit's.

It is, very literally pitts headache.

#44 Itchin' to go

Itchin' to go

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

point is, crosby is milking it, as are the pens, and the masterson is a joke if he gets it this coming year. i'd rather it go to jagr or yashin, and it burnt my fingers typing that garb.

So not throwing your franchise player into the NHL playoffs, when he hadn't played in 4months and was having recurring concussion symptoms, is milking it? Ok.

Pretty obvious things are not going as planned with Crosby's recovery. It would seem the Pens are trying to keep it quiet, not publicize it.

Ryan

#45 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

I'm the first person to say "Crosby Sucks!", click on my name I even own a shirt, and call him "Cindy", however, I take no joy in saying this, I think Crosby's career is over, or at least like Marc Savard's.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#46 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

I won't call him anything except Whiny ***** and/or He Who Shall Not Be Named, but this is no way for his career to decline.
I have to tell you guys, my sister called this near the end of last season; she somehow knew how bad it was. Maybe I should ask her for lottery numbers.......
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#47 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

I won't call him anything except Whiny ***** and/or He Who Shall Not Be Named, but this is no way for his career to decline.
I have to tell you guys, my sister called this near the end of last season; she somehow knew how bad it was. Maybe I should ask her for lottery numbers.......

Maybe your sister's just a jinx. :P

I actually liked him as Sid the Kid. Sid the Young Adult was kind of grating, plus there was the whole beating-us-in-2009 thing. I was hoping that Sid the Mature Adult would be likable. Here's to hoping he gets the chance.

#48 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

My guess is they'll focus their marketing efforts on Stamkos in such a situation. Once we start to hear his name over and over and over again on NBC telecasts we'll hate him just as much as Sid.

I have no problem seeing the media showcase a player over and over. They did that with Messier in the late 90's and I liked him as a player. I know he was no Gretzky for talent but he didn't ***** and whine either.

#49 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Top 10 finishes:

1, 2, 3, 6 - Crosby
2, 3, 5, 7 - Bure
1, 6, 7 - Lindros

And unlike Bure and Lindros, Crosby won a Cup, as the youngest captain to do so ever.
He is a shoe-in.

I'll continue the list.

Guy Carbonneau- 3 Selkes, 3 Cups.
Larry Aurie- 2 Cups, 1 ASG.
Marc Tardif- 2 Cups, 2 WHA MVPs and scoring titles.
Aleksandr Mogilny- Cup, Olympic Gold, 7 ASGs, Byng. First Russian NHL player, All-Star, Captain.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

This times 1000000000000. Hopefully this doesnt ruin the conversation, but In all seriousness, people need to wake up.

:hysterical: You got a -2 and I got a -5 for the comments about this! I wonder if we got negged because of the subject matter or the fact that most sheeple are walking down that narrow hallway? Anyhow I gave you plus to try to bring you back up...

I wish Crosby a happy and healthy life... I'd like to see him come back and try to play, but one more hit and its scrambled eggs... and all this talk about him going to the Hall? I understand that the "stats" he has is your guy's argument on him being there, that's fine, but if we are saying if Crosby doesn't play one more game and he still has "stats" that are good enough to get him in the Hall, then Osgood is a shoe-in and NONE of you who are arguing FOR Crosby to get there can say Osgood doesn't have the "stats" to get him in based on other goalies in the Hall... Thank you guys for putting an end to the Osgood/Hall of Fame argument...that means #30 will rise to the rafters as well (as it should be!)

Edited by LeftWinger, 15 August 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#51 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

:hysterical: You got a -2 and I got a -5 for the comments about this! I wonder if we got negged because of the subject matter or the fact that most sheeple are walking down that narrow hallway? Anyhow I gave you plus to try to bring you back up...

I wish Crosby a happy and healthy life... I'd like to see him come back and try to play, but one more hit and its scrambled eggs...

I noticed this. Pretty lame. Most sheeple don't want to acknowledge that something is going wrong. People that have the open mind to research this tend to be blown away and eventually realize we're all living a lie.

Back on topic, who are we gonna get shoved down our throats if Crosby is gone?!?!
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I noticed this. Pretty lame. Most sheeple don't want to acknowledge that something is going wrong. People that have the open mind to research this tend to be blown away and eventually realize we're all living a lie.

Back on topic, who are we gonna get shoved down our throats if Crosby is gone?!?!

For some reason, I cannot think of a player who they may shove down our throats who wouldn't bother me. At least not as much as Crosby does. We know if won't be anyone from the Red Wings, Malkin and Toews and that other scrawny Hawk are already past their "Face of the NHL" prime. I don't think Stampkos would be too bad to have as the "face." Too bad Taylor Hall and Nugent-Hopkins play outside of the States or one of those guys could be it, but Uncle Gary would never market a player who doesn't play in the USA. Seguin just doesn't have the whiney ****** appeal, plus he doesn't flop around like Crosby. Tavares plays for the Islnaders, nuff said... I guess we'd have to go with Stampkos, but I don't think I hate him, so I wouldn't mind him being the "Face." (oh and forget ANY European player, or player who has any toughness or snarl what-so-ever. Another reason why Stampkos or Seguin probably won't be the Face. They aren't fighters, but they don't mind getting hit or hitting back and actually fighting for the puck and getting bloody.)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#53 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

I'll continue the list.

Guy Carbonneau- 3 Selkes, 3 Cups.
Larry Aurie- 2 Cups, 1 ASG.
Marc Tardif- 2 Cups, 2 WHA MVPs and scoring titles.
Aleksandr Mogilny- Cup, Olympic Gold, 7 ASGs, Byng. First Russian NHL player, All-Star, Captain.

Crosby has a Hart, Art Ross and Richard, in addition to his Top 10 finishes, Cup & Olympic Gold, excellent PPG and playoff PPG, he has a 1st Team and 2nd Team Post-Season All Star Team Selection at center.

There is not a single player with even a few of those accomplishments 'not' in the Hall of Fame, and it's a better resume than a lot of the ones already in.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#54 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

I wish Crosby a happy and healthy life... I'd like to see him come back and try to play, but one more hit and its scrambled eggs... and all this talk about him going to the Hall? I understand that the "stats" he has is your guy's argument on him being there, that's fine, but if we are saying if Crosby doesn't play one more game and he still has "stats" that are good enough to get him in the Hall, then Osgood is a shoe-in and NONE of you who are arguing FOR Crosby to get there can say Osgood doesn't have the "stats" to get him in based on other goalies in the Hall... Thank you guys for putting an end to the Osgood/Hall of Fame argument...that means #30 will rise to the rafters as well (as it should be!)

Retired Crosby and Osgood are pretty opposite scenarios for the Hall - Osgood is a candidate for being good for a long time, which Crosby obviously lacks, but Osgood has nowhere near the peak and prime of Crosby.

Sort of the Bure vs. Gardner debate.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#55 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

I almost shed a tear then it reminded me that I was being like him.

Maybe he can make millions making video in how to shoot the tops off hockey puck pyramids...

Or teaching kids how to take a hit.... maybe not :cool:

Edited by Cali-Wing-Nut, 16 August 2011 - 01:18 AM.

I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#56 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

I hate Crosby's antics as much as the next Guy but I hope he returns to form soon for the sake of the rivalry and for the NHL.

#57 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

So not throwing your franchise player into the NHL playoffs, when he hadn't played in 4months and was having recurring concussion symptoms, is milking it? Ok.

Pretty obvious things are not going as planned with Crosby's recovery. It would seem the Pens are trying to keep it quiet, not publicize it.
Ryan

Crosby was apparently just about "ready to go" late last year and then all that s*** was happening with Matt Cooke and then Mario Lemieux running his flapper about the NHL being bush league and then mysteriously, Crosby is no longer ready to go and will miss the rest of the year and maybe playoffs.... Lemieux made stupid comments and then Matt Cooke destroyed all his credibility and then Crosby's health suddenly took a turn back to the worse...nothing happened there where Lemieux was trying to back up a little and have his franchise player to sit to try and make his previous points valid all the while punishing Cooke for the media...ok.

as far as keeping it quiet...every week there's a new article on Crosby as though we're gonna forget his NHL God. they're publicizing every time he takes a painkiller for christ sake. look back on TSN's recent articles for NHL. there's enought to write a book on blindside hits and concussions.

and Crosby was doing conditioning the whole time to stay in shape so he could have played anytime he got back to full contact practices. we'll see just how over his career is when he misses maybe the first 5 games this season and is leading the league in points at the 10 game mark of the season with 14 pts in 5 games... the NHL can't afford to lose him. all the bleeding hearts will petition to have hitting removed from hockey if his career is over.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#58 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

As much as i hate him, i love the rivalry and don't want to see such a good players career end this way.

I agree.

#59 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Crosby was apparently just about "ready to go" late last year and then all that s*** was happening with Matt Cooke and then Mario Lemieux running his flapper about the NHL being bush league and then mysteriously, Crosby is no longer ready to go and will miss the rest of the year and maybe playoffs.... Lemieux made stupid comments and then Matt Cooke destroyed all his credibility and then Crosby's health suddenly took a turn back to the worse...nothing happened there where Lemieux was trying to back up a little and have his franchise player to sit to try and make his previous points valid all the while punishing Cooke for the media...ok.

as far as keeping it quiet...every week there's a new article on Crosby as though we're gonna forget his NHL God. they're publicizing every time he takes a painkiller for christ sake. look back on TSN's recent articles for NHL. there's enought to write a book on blindside hits and concussions.

and Crosby was doing conditioning the whole time to stay in shape so he could have played anytime he got back to full contact practices. we'll see just how over his career is when he misses maybe the first 5 games this season and is leading the league in points at the 10 game mark of the season with 14 pts in 5 games... the NHL can't afford to lose him. all the bleeding hearts will petition to have hitting removed from hockey if his career is over.

So the Penguins intentionally sat their star player (who was on a 1.61 PPG pace before his injury) for part of the regular season and playoffs, to make some vague point to the league?

#60 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:21 PM

I feel so bad for Crosby right now I hope he get's back out there soon time, such a horrible way to go down for so long.

Agreed.

Since he's not a Red Wing I'm pretty indifferent on the kid, but some here with their animosity towards him leaves me scratching my head...He's 1 of the best players in the league today, and I hope he makes a full recovery, and gets back to where he had left off.

'Evolution' created by Offsides