• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#101 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:27 AM

What players in the league? Do you have links to all this Crosby bashing? The only criticisms I remember is from geniuses like Adam Burish. And some Russian players supporting Ovechkin. And maybe some stuff early on in his career, mostly the first season.

Crosby was voted 'biggest' whiner in a poll of his peers a couple of years ago.

#102 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

It's mostly in nhl player polls that have ask the question to the players "Which player complains the most on the ice?" and so on. And crosby wins by wide margins most all the time. I would have to look them up but i have seen them. He gets hated because how good he is? Thats used a lot in defending him. my hate is more along the lines of im tired of seeing him and having him rammed down my throat when there are players all over the league that should be pushed as well. To pick one player out of so many great players and make a poster child out of him in a sport like hockey where fans are so passionate about their own team you will get a ton of strong hate for that said player no matter how good he is. I just think they messed up when picking one person to try and sell hockey. I think thats why they started pushing the whole crosby vs ovechkin thing because they started seeing how much hate crosby was getting. But as far as wishing him ill will im not even about that. I hope he does play. That would totally suck to go out like that with that much skill and being so young. Oh and i don't want any excuses for the pens fans when we beat the snot out of them hehe :D

Please look up the results of these polls and share them with us. There is a big difference between complaining to officials on the ice and having bad character or being a bad person/poor role model. Yzerman complained with the best of them and I think most would hold him in high regard as a human being.

Just to give another example, similar player polls show players "RESPECT" Crosby way more than Ovechkin...what does that mean?

#103 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

Please look up the results of these polls and share them with us. There is a big difference between complaining to officials on the ice and having bad character or being a bad person/poor role model. Yzerman complained with the best of them and I think most would hold him in high regard as a human being.

Just to give another example, similar player polls show players "RESPECT" Crosby way more than Ovechkin...what does that mean?

Player polls saying he's the biggest whiner and then seeing him over and over and over. And yes although small he does dive...he does cross check,slew foot...and so on just adds up to joe fan of other teams. That was the argument. Like i said in my other post. My hate for him has nothing to do with his skill or what ever. I'm just tired of seeing him and not seeing other great stars plastered on the tv and rep'n the nhl more.

Did they have player polls when yzerman played and how many times did he win the biggest whiner by his peers? Yzerman was pretty much respected in all aspects of the game so thats a non argument. Theres a difference in complaining and just flat out whineing.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 19 August 2011 - 08:43 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#104 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

Did they have player polls when yzerman played and how many times did he win the biggest whiner by his peers? Yzerman was pretty much respected in all aspects of the game so thats a non argument. Theres a difference in complaining and just flat out whineing.

No idea on player polls, but he did make #4 on a referrees list of biggest whiners of ALL-TIME.

#105 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

No idea on player polls, but he did make #4 on a referrees list of biggest whiners of ALL-TIME.

When he was retiring Stevie even joked about the refs being glad to see him go.

#106 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

I think your views of him as a person are pretty skewed and mostly based on what year hear people saying (whether there is anything to back it up or not). I'd challenge you to spend a week following him around everywhere and actually get to know what the guy is all about and then come back and tell me what you think about the guy as a person, his character, etc.

Okay, you set it up and I will spend a week with him. I am game for this experiment.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#107 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

He's also a ball-puncher from behind who jumps guys in the face-off dot.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#108 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

Okay, you set it up and I will spend a week with him. I am game for this experiment.

I'll see what I can do. You'll have to get out to Halifax now though as summer is quickly coming to an end. I was just there the past couple weeks (my hometown, but I live in Toronto now). If you spend enough time around the local rinks, you might run into him. If you want to be a stalker though, I do know where he lives and where his parents live (they have a nice new house now on the water...no doubt financed by him).

#109 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

I guess I never made it clear. I'm talking more along the lines of on-ice character not off. He may be the greatest person alive OFF the ice but on the ice he just seems like more of the diver,whiner,ball puncher and so on in my eyes but i don't hate the dude really for that although its frustrating. I have read where even some of the tough guys of the league are the greatest people off the ice. For example pronger. I know about 90% it seems on here hate pronger but I have friends on the ducks board that have met him before and say he is awesome. Greatest guy. Again my hate is more of the league cramming him down our throats and not pushing the other great stars of the league.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#110 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

I guess I never made it clear. I'm talking more along the lines of on-ice character not off. He may be the greatest person alive OFF the ice but on the ice he just seems like more of the diver,whiner,ball puncher and so on in my eyes but i don't hate the dude really for that although its frustrating. I have read where even some of the tough guys of the league are the greatest people off the ice. For example pronger. I know about 90% it seems on here hate pronger but I have friends on the ducks board that have met him before and say he is awesome. Greatest guy. Again my hate is more of the league cramming him down our throats and not pushing the other great stars of the league.

Well, that's totally different then. I don't normally get bothered too much by any player's on ice play. The things that people point out that Crosby does are done by the vast majority of the players in the league, it's overblown for him because of his stature. I only get bothered occassionally by some players. Some examples would be guys like Maltby. I'd have no problem with his play (for the most part) if he didn't run away from the s*** he stirs up. When you think of diving, I can't stand Lapierre and especially the faces he makes at other players, drives me crazy. Then there is Cooke. I love the way he plays most of the time, but as everyone knows, he goes too far way too often, which I can't stand. Avery just seems like a dick.

#111 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

He's also a ball-puncher from behind who jumps guys in the face-off dot.

esteef

That takes some serious dexterity and flexibility. Thanks for the odd mental picture.

#112 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

Well, that's totally different then. I don't normally get bothered too much by any player's on ice play. The things that people point out that Crosby does are done by the vast majority of the players in the league, it's overblown for him because of his stature. I only get bothered occassionally by some players. Some examples would be guys like Maltby. I'd have no problem with his play (for the most part) if he didn't run away from the s*** he stirs up. When you think of diving, I can't stand Lapierre and especially the faces he makes at other players, drives me crazy. Then there is Cooke. I love the way he plays most of the time, but as everyone knows, he goes too far way too often, which I can't stand. Avery just seems like a dick.

Totally true. I agree with Crosby getting overblown. I'm sure I fall into that fact a little myself.

Far as malts. thats what part of his game that would frustrate me to no end. He would be flapping his gums and then when it would be step up time he would skate off and let other players take the heat. Man just think about being on the ice on the other team with him. hahaha.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#113 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

Totally true. I agree with Crosby getting overblown. I'm sure I fall into that fact a little myself.

Far as malts. thats what part of his game that would frustrate me to no end. He would be flapping his gums and then when it would be step up time he would skate off and let other players take the heat. Man just think about being on the ice on the other team with him. hahaha.

There's no doubt Maltby benefitted from the instigator rule.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#114 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

oh how i missed LGW!!
ive been in the carribean for most of the summer and im baked to a crisp

i really hope its not the end of his career. i dont think it will be. but then again concussions arent pretty

#115 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

<Reads first paragraph. Smirks. Makes mental note about Tony. Gets bad mental picture. Shakes head. Declines comment.>

I miss Malts.

#116 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

<Reads first paragraph. Smirks. Makes mental note about Tony. Gets bad mental picture. Shakes head. Declines comment.>

I miss Malts.

HAHAHAHAHA. Now I'm thinking the same. Greaat. :P
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#117 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

I miss Malts.

HAHAHAHAHA. Now I'm thinking the same. Greaat. :P

hahahahahah..I had to plus you both on that one. =)

I guess everyone knows how i "REALLY" feel=)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#118 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

I'll see what I can do. You'll have to get out to Halifax now though as summer is quickly coming to an end. I was just there the past couple weeks (my hometown, but I live in Toronto now). If you spend enough time around the local rinks, you might run into him. If you want to be a stalker though, I do know where he lives and where his parents live (they have a nice new house now on the water...no doubt financed by him).

Suddenly everything fits into place. I've lived in a slew of places in North America and Europe, I have never encountered a place where moaning and complaining about EVERYthing is so thoroughly engrained into civic identity as Halifax.

Edited by _Kabrok_, 19 August 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#119 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:51 AM

Suddenly everything fits into place. I've lived in a slew of places in North America and Europe, I have never encountered a place where moaning and complaining about EVERYthing is so thoroughly engrained into civic identity as Halifax.

Really?? Do explain. I've been on the planet for 34 years, I've lived in Halifax for 22 years and Toronto for 12 years, so I would hope I could add a bit of real life perspective.

#120 donfishmaster

donfishmaster

steviesteenie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

I know that there are many delicate sensibilities at the top of this board who are EASILY offended, and, oh dear, upsetting words makes the baby Jesus cry, but when it comes to the prospect of Cindy never playing again:
"sympathy" lies somewhere between "s***" and "syphillis" in the dictionary.