• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#121 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

His on-ice demeanour brings the dislike that he's earned. People don't likef****** crybabies.

That being said, this injury of his resonates off the ice as well, and I do not wish upon the guy to keep bearing this type of injury, having a concussion and concussion symptoms myself at one point. I don't see what Crosby has done to deserve this, however, being on a Red Wing forum I've certainly got a decent idea.

I try and imagine that the love fest for Crosby on this board has to do with gamesmanship and not some personal hatred that transcends the NHL, however, there's always a bunch of douchebags who take the sport that seriously, and are personally unable to let the fact that he beat this team go. I certainly hope they get their problems sorted. I hope Crosby comes back and I hope the Wings beat he and his team's ass.

Edited by Shoreline, 21 August 2011 - 11:12 AM.

#122 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I try and imagine that the love fest for Crosby on this board has to do with gamesmanship and not some personal hatred that transcends the NHL, however, there's always a bunch of douchebags who take the sport that seriously, and are personally unable to let the fact that he beat this team go.

Crosby never beat this team, Zetterberg made sure of that. It was a good effort by the rest of the Pens plus ridiculous help from the league and on-ice officials that beat them.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#123 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

Crosby never beat this team, Zetterberg made sure of that. It was a good effort by the rest of the Pens plus ridiculous help from the league and on-ice officials that beat them.

esteef

You bring up a point and not by the pedantic correction, but another way..

People complained heavily that Crosby was the league's face for marketing, yet now they give him the attention that transcends the rest of the Penguins and their collective effort that helped them beat the Wings in 2009.

Even if I'm guilty of it too, I find it no less ironic.

#124 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy... :)

Oh, I mean, HOW TERRIBLE!

In all seriousness, Crosby should never have played the next game vs Tampa if he had symptoms stemming from the Steckel hit on New Year's Day. Hedman hits him from behind, down again and this time for good.

And what's absolutely crazy about all this, remember: The Pens' new rink at the Consol Energy Center was DESIGNED AND BUILT to have a capacity of 18,087. Wouldn't that suck if 87 never played another game at the rink with his number in the seating?

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#125 Wildwings44

Wildwings44

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

I hope Cindy is able to come back.... then take another vicious blow to the head....only to end up sidelined for the rest of his career.

Edited by Wildwings44, 21 August 2011 - 04:33 PM.

GO WINGS!!!

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" - Shakespeare

"Do or do not, there is not try" - Yoda

"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."

#126 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy... :)

Oh, I mean, HOW TERRIBLE!

In all seriousness, Crosby should never have played the next game vs Tampa if he had symptoms stemming from the Steckel hit on New Year's Day. Hedman hits him from behind, down again and this time for good.

And what's absolutely crazy about all this, remember: The Pens' new rink at the Consol Energy Center was DESIGNED AND BUILT to have a capacity of 18,087. Wouldn't that suck if 87 never played another game at the rink with his number in the seating?

Wait a minute. Are you serious? They purposely designed the rink to have a capacity to end in an individual players' number? If that is true that is just stupid. It sends the message that 1 player is more important than the others?

Ok. So I looked it up and you are correct. This is just stupid. But then again, it is the Pittsburgh Penguins...
Do or do not. There is no try

#127 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

I hope Cindy is able to come back.... then take another vicious blow to the head....only to end up sidelined for the rest of his career.

I wonder what you would think if somebody had said something like that about Stevie Y when he was playing.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#128 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

If your a true hockey fan, not just a homer, you hope he recovers well enough to play again. Like it or not he is great for the game. Hell if all the players I disliked/hated never played again there would definitely be some serious contraction in the league.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#129 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hope he recovers to 100% and soon. I want the pens wings rivalry to continue and get more bitter and more battles for the Cup.

#130 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

If your a true hockey fan, not just a homer, you hope he recovers well enough to play again. Like it or not he is great for the game. Hell if all the players I disliked/hated never played again there would definitely be some serious contraction in the league.

Exactly.

I friggin HATED Gretzky when he was playing. You think Crosby whines to the refs? You should've seen Gretzky. He had more complaints to refs than he did points in his career.

That being said, there's still no denying how great he was.

#131 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

I friggin HATED Gretzky when he was playing. You think Crosby whines to the refs? You should've seen Gretzky. He had more complaints to refs than he did points in his career.

I think this then means that Crosby would be amusing as hell to watch as a coach. :lol:

Posted Image

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#132 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

I think this then means that Crosby would be amusing as hell to watch as a coach. :lol:

Posted Image

what is that bracelet he's wearing? :blink:

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 23 August 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#133 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374436

Apparently, his headaches are still happening and he is getting second opinions. This is very bad news for his career. I am not a Crosby fan, but he is a great player. Would hate to see his career end on a note like this. :(
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#134 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

Coach Crosby

Posted Image

Edited by NvrFrgtRussian5, 25 August 2011 - 06:56 PM.

#135 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:00 AM

i'll throw my hat in with the group that doesn't like the player, but doesn't wish him ill-will either.

i think even if he does come back he won't be the same player. he'll have to limit his physical play and will be wary of going into the corners - ask brad stuart about that.

the rest of the players in the league certainly won't take it easy on him. and what happens if he has another concussion? how long will they keep him out then?

what exactly is wrong with you?
Posted Image

#136 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Toronto Star.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#137 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

That's gotta be awful. Can't push his kids on a swing. Could you imagine the look in Kris Draper's eyes if he couldn't do something like that with his kids, the kids that cheer him up after a game 7 cup loss, the ones he's had eat breakfast out of Lord Stanley's Cup, etc etc.

And what's worse, his kids are only 4, 1, and 2. What will be of his brain matter in 14-17 years when they graduate high school?

#138 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

That's gotta be awful. Can't push his kids on a swing. Could you imagine the look in Kris Draper's eyes if he couldn't do something like that with his kids, the kids that cheer him up after a game 7 cup loss, the ones he's had eat breakfast out of Lord Stanley's Cup, etc etc.

And what's worse, his kids are only 4, 1, and 2. What will be of his brain matter in 14-17 years when they graduate high school?

I hear you, I really do....
But my opinion on this whole matter is:
These guys are gladiators, only they do it voluntarily and they get paid vast sums of money to do so. Of course I want every precaution to be taken to protect them, but not at the cost of what makes this sport so enjoyable.

I do feel sympathy for him not being able to physically play with his kids for more than a few minutes (that sucks, and he certainly does not deserve that), but at least he made millions of dollars securing his childrens' futures. He knowingly takes a high physical risk, but is extremely highly compensated for it. I have more sympathy for the soldier who comes home disabled and his family is stuck with GI Bills.

Edited by egroen, 26 August 2011 - 11:44 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#139 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

On a logical level I mourn the loss to hockey if a talent like Crosby is taken out too soon, but just to be honest, and also because I empathize with those who have taken a lot of heat for basically stating "Great! I hope he's out for good!", I'll state that:

Career ending injuries happen in hockey - if I was to list the players I would most prefer it to happen to (I really do not wish it upon anyone, but for example - I would 'prefer' Corey Perry suffers a career-ending injury over someone like Datsyuk), Crosby might just sneak into my Top 10.

Flame away! :)
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#140 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Don Cherry, in his old time wisdom, several years ago did a piece on new hockey equipment, and picked up some of the new heavy plastic/urethane pads and was talking about how guys were going to go full-tilt at someone because they wouldn't be able to feel it back. Then he showed some of the old felt pads that guys had worn forever. Talked about how you never heard of concussions/major injuries after hits in the old days because players were going to knock over other players, didn't need to be armored like a tank.

I can't find it on youtube at the moment, but i know i've seen it.