• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#161 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

How did the instigator rule get brought up in a thread about a player who was injured on pretty random plays?

Steckel didn't see Crosby, and Hedman bumped him on the boards.

But Doc....it was Crosby...It was the dirtiest hit I have seen in like like forever. ;)
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#162 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

How did the instigator rule get brought up in a thread about a player who was injured on pretty random plays?

It's actually a natural progression when you think about it. Injuries have been rampant lately that weren't prevalent pre-instigator rule.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#163 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

It's actually a natural progression when you think about it. Injuries have been rampant lately that weren't prevalent pre-instigator rule.

Well if there was some correlation to the specific incident in question I would understand the discussion. But there really isn't.

Posted Image

#164 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Well if there was some correlation to the specific incident in question I would understand the discussion. But there really isn't.

No - there isn't any direct link between Crosby's situation, and the instigator pen.

However there have been numerous high hits over the years that have resulted in injury (be it a concussion, or in Brad Stuarts case a broken jaw)...Just an interesting comment made by Gretzky is all.

The point being there's always going to be head injuries in the game of hockey - that's just the unfortunate reality...Now if there's a chance that the removal of the instigator pen may reduce that number (even a slight reduction) by keeping players "honest" - then I'm all for it...To add I also believe the shoulder/elbow padding needs to be modified along with allowing some of the obstruction that we had seen in the game pre 1995.

Just my $0.02

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#165 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

No - there isn't any direct link between Crosby's situation, and the instigator pen.

However there have been numerous high hits over the years that have resulted in injury (be it a concussion, or in Brad Stuarts case a broken jaw)...Just an interesting comment made by Gretzky is all.

The point being there's always going to be head injuries in the game of hockey - that's just the unfortunate reality...Now if there's a chance that the removal of the instigator pen may reduce that number (even a slight reduction) by keeping players "honest" - then I'm all for it...To add I also believe the shoulder/elbow padding needs to be modified along with allowing some of the obstruction that we had seen in the game pre 1995.

Just my $0.02

I think maybe what doc is saying is the hit on crosby wasn't dirty...so there would be no need for player retaliation so no need to talk about the instigator pen
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#166 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

I think maybe what doc is saying is the hit on crosby wasn't dirty...so there would be no need for player retaliation so no need to talk about the instigator pen

Right - I even pointed that out in my opening sentence in my last post.

However just because Crosby's case there wasn't any malicious intent to injure doesn't mean that other concussions/head injuries were "accidental".

#167 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Just my $0.02

Well that's all well and good, but I'm not going to derail a thread to a 30 page argument over the instigator and the role of enforcing preventing injuries.

Posted Image

#168 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

Well that's all well and good, but I'm not going to derail a thread to a 30 page argument over the instigator and the role of enforcing preventing injuries.

That's fine by me.

#169 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp11933

"We asked the Penguins if they would squash retirement speculation on the record; they declined, saying they wouldn't confirm nor deny anything about the nature of the press conference."

The Penguins are holding a press conference with Crosby. As far as I can tell it will be at 12:30 tomorrow. I really hope it's not a major announcement like him missing the season, but if it's not why the press conference with advanced notice? I can't remember a team ever calling a press conference with a player just to discuss an injury rehab no matter who it is. I have a feeling this could be bad...

#170 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
As per @DarrenDreger, Crosby'sbeen skating. Will skate tomorrow in PIT, do the newser, go to NYC on Thursday and be back skating Fri in PIT.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-do-you-expect-Sidney-Crosby-to-say-at-press;_ylt=ApXq1w7hCOnTT5eTVgFrwe97vLYF?urn=nhl-wp11933

"We asked the Penguins if they would squash retirement speculation on the record; they declined, saying they wouldn't confirm nor deny anything about the nature of the press conference."

The Penguins are holding a press conference with Crosby. As far as I can tell it will be at 12:30 tomorrow. I really hope it's not a major announcement like him missing the season, but if it's not why the press conference with advanced notice? I can't remember a team ever calling a press conference with a player just to discuss an injury rehab no matter who it is. I have a feeling this could be bad...

There's been so much speculation I think they felt the had no choice but to, you know, actually let people talk to Crosby and ask him if he's ready to go. My suspicion is that he'll be ready to go fairly soon if he's skating frequently symptom-free.

#171 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,458 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

This is what will happen:

1 - he will confirm that he will be ready to go at the start of training camp (10 days or so from now); or

2 - he will confirm that he will not be ready to go at the start of training camp.

If he is not going to actually confirm 1 or 2, then there really is no need for him to speak to the media.

I highly, highly doubt he will confirm anything beyond the start of training camp because of the nature of his injury (it's not like Savard who has a lot of history with concussions and has had severe daily symptoms for quite some time). If he confirms he won't be ready to start training camp, that doesn't mean he won't be ready come early October, I doubt he know that for certain.

I'm no expert though, maybe he knows more about how long he will be out than I'm guessing. One thing I'm extremely confident in is that he won't be making any retirement announcement tomorrow or even a significant time off announcement either. If it was either of those, he wouldn't be working out and skating. That doesn't mean he won't miss a big chunk of the year, I just don't think he's in a position to even know that.

Edit...also, I'm confident in saying that anything beyond what I just said is speculation (doesn't mean it's not right, but speculation in that know one really knows).

Edited by toby91_ca, 06 September 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#172 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

My guess he's going to go the Scott Niedermayer/Brian Burke route and report that he has nothing to report.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#173 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-do-you-expect-Sidney-Crosby-to-say-at-press;_ylt=ApXq1w7hCOnTT5eTVgFrwe97vLYF?urn=nhl-wp11933

Unless it's to announce his retirement, I see no need for a freakin' press conference.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#174 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Unless it's to announce his retirement, I see no need for a freakin' press conference.

But he is the face of the NHL dummy... <_<
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#175 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,458 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

But he is the face of the NHL dummy... <_<

Actually, with all the speculation that's been going on recently, he really needs to have this press conference. The problem is, if nothing concrete is reported, it may be a waste of time.

I've heard a lot of critism thrown Crosby's way over the summer for "not speaking", now I'm also hearing critism thrown his way because he is planning to "speak." It's actually pretty funny.

#176 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Actually, with all the speculation that's been going on recently, he really needs to have this press conference. The problem is, if nothing concrete is reported, it may be a waste of time.

I've heard a lot of critism thrown Crosby's way over the summer for "not speaking", now I'm also hearing critism thrown his way because he is planning to "speak." It's actually pretty funny.

As far as I'm concerned, he need never speak again. :lol:

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#177 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

I personally don't care whether he speak or doesn't, I just find it interesting that he is. Yzerman was injured in 2003, didn't call a press conference, and returned. Rafalski was injured in 2011, called a press conference out of nowhere, and retired. I just don't know why there would be a press conference for the sole purpose of refuting rumors.

#178 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Maybe it's to announce that it has been discovered that Crosby was taking banned substances and the 2009 Cup victory is null and void.

#179 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,458 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

I personally don't care whether he speak or doesn't, I just find it interesting that he is. Yzerman was injured in 2003, didn't call a press conference, and returned. Rafalski was injured in 2011, called a press conference out of nowhere, and retired. I just don't know why there would be a press conference for the sole purpose of refuting rumors.

1 - Media/internet/social media is light years ahead of where it was in 2003, completely different environment.
2 - Crosby is a bit more high profile than Rafalski.

#180 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

I really think it's a personal preference when it comes to calling a conference. Eg Ozzie. So whatever it is, it's something Sid must think is important enough for it

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture