• 1,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

#2 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

Awesome. Such good memories. Thanks for posting.
Posted Image

#3 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Great video, thanks! :thumbup:
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#4 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

What he did in 2002 is something we'll be telling our grandchildren about. Obviously, he had a hall of fame career and was one of the most beloved figures in Detroit History before that season, but what he did that year separates him from all the other great leaders and athletes that have ever played professional sports in North America. When a normal, sane human being would've called it a very impressive career, one of the best careers of all-time, Steve Yzerman fought through all the pain and adversity and single-handedly lifted a team of future Hall-of-Famers out of a 2-0 series deficit and eventually hoisted the Stanley Cup when it was all said and done. Amazing stuff from the greatest captain in North American sports history (Mark Messier Leadership Award is such a load of crap. He couldn't hold a candle to Stevie Y as far as leadership is concerned).

As you can probably tell, I still haven't gotten over my Yzerman obsession.

Edited by stevie for president, 14 August 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#5 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

I will now be busy for the next 17 minutes and 12 seconds of my life. Excuse me. :)

#6 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

He's a great example that in the playoffs skill can take you only that far. He just hearts the puck in on so many of these goals. Much like Draper once teethed the puck in once in '08.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 14 August 2011 - 07:51 PM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#7 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

CenterIce... You define awesome. Not as awesome as Stevie Y but then again who is?

#8 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

Couple thoughts that came to my mind...

--I remember that Holmstrom-Yzerman-McCarty line and how it wasn't just Holmstrom in front of the net. All three guys would rotate in front of the net depending on the cycle. It's interesting to think about whether or not that kind of rotation in today's game would be better for teams. Or worse.

--He may not be a fan favorite in Detroit but you gotta give Sergei Fedorov credit. He was great. Simply great.

--I miss Stevie Y's passion and the emotion he showed at times. We don't really see that as much now with him gone.

--Stevie Y's shot to the short side through the smallest holes was awesome every time.

#9 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

Almost brings a tear to my eye. He's been my idol since I was 4 years old back in 1988. What a legend. And for my money the greatest hockey player of all time. Could score with the best of them, yet was amazing defensively. The total package player. And he's somehow very modest. Still really miss the guy. I must admit I did shed tears during his retirement ceremony. I just hope one day he returns to the organization. I will always rock my red CCM Yzerman jersey during the playoffs. What a warrior. STEVE YZERMAN FOREVER

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#10 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

simply the best ...

#11 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

That sure underlines why St. Louis hates us. :)
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#12 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

CenterIce... You define awesome. Not as awesome as Stevie Y but then again who is?

I just found it. Thank whoever made it.

#13 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

simply the best ...

better than all of the rest

#14 woodrow40

woodrow40

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

I just found it. Thank whoever made it.

That would be me :D. Thanks for starting the thread though, I was going to do it after the video was uploaded but I completely forgot.

Also if any of you are interested in seeing similar videos for some other Wings, I'm in the process of making one for Shanny, Fedorov, Lidstrom and The Grind Line. Most of those should be out this week.

#15 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Outstanding video, I still cry thinking about Stevie....i'd turn *** for Stevie.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.