• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

X13WINGS13X

Rick Rypien found dead

Rate this topic

Yeah thanks for the confirmation. Very helpful.

Sarcastic?

Bottom line is that if you're mad at someone for taking their life when the individual never was able to get control of his/her depression shows you simply don't understand how the disease can fully consume them.

I've gone from sadness and grief last night to a bit of anger at Rypien today for wasting his life. He had it pretty good when looking at things from the surface. I also realize the anger I feel is likely born of ignorance about clinical depression. I don't know. It's just all so tragic on so many different levels. I loved the guy and maybe I'm being selfish that I won't get to see this little guy take on guys a foot taller who outweigh him by 70 pounds ever again. I know he was no longer a Canuck and I was pissed about that, but still, this is all so s***ty. I guess he will always be a Canuck now.

Rick+Rypien+Wiki+2.jpg

I agree its kinda hard as fans and hockey players who would do anything to play in the NHL and live the life he was. Its hard to imagine how someone could be depressed when hes living the dream life of millions of people. But depression is a disease in which it wont spare you even if you are living an amazing life. A clinically depressed individual can be living a perfect life and have everything they ever wanted for themselves, yet still be depressed, its a disease that is swept under the rug way 2 often, just because you can be in perfect physical health, but not emotional health.

Bottom line is that if you're mad at someone for taking their life when the individual never was able to get control of his/her depression shows you simply don't understand how the disease can fully consume them.

I agree its kinda hard as fans and hockey players who would do anything to play in the NHL and live the life he was. Its hard to imagine how someone could be depressed when hes living the dream life of millions of people. But depression is a disease in which it wont spare you even if you are living an amazing life. A clinically depressed individual can be living a perfect life and have everything they ever wanted for themselves, yet still be depressed, its a disease that is swept under the rug way 2 often, just because you can be in perfect physical health, but not emotional health.

Both well put.

People suffering from depression don't commit suicide to be selfish assholes. They do it to end pain. It's psychological, but it's still pain and can be constant and unbearable.

It's definitely a disease that's swept under the rug too often. Major depression is not the same as just being sad, or cynical, or negative. It comes from brain chemistry and from the depths of who a person is, and is not something that millions of dollars or playing a sport you love will change. Honestly the regular exercise and routine of practices and teammates probably helped, but sadly it wasn't enough.

All that being said, I can understand being angry. Even not blaming Rypien, it's a frustrating, tragic situation. I want to be pissed at somebody.

I've gone from sadness and grief last night to a bit of anger at Rypien today for wasting his life. He had it pretty good when looking at things from the surface. I also realize the anger I feel is likely born of ignorance about clinical depression. I don't know. It's just all so tragic on so many different levels. I loved the guy and maybe I'm being selfish that I won't get to see this little guy take on guys a foot taller who outweigh him by 70 pounds ever again. I know he was no longer a Canuck and I was pissed about that, but still, this is all so s***ty. I guess he will always be a Canuck now.

Sadness and anger is a normal reaction to grief and the loss of a loved one, regardless of how they died. When the person was young and still had expected calendar years left, it makes it even harder.

I just buried a 33-year-old friend last week. Too young. Too many medical problems culminating in cancer.

Acceptance happens eventually, even though the sting is still there. I can imagine that he meant more to you since he was on your team. Take care of yourself, dear.

Did you post this in the right thread? What the hell does steroids have to do with the people Hockeytown mentioned?

Dan Snyder - car crash

Luc Bourdon - motorcycle accident

Mandi Schwartz- leukemia

Derek Boogaard - substance abuse problem, but it was alcohol and oxycodone

Zholtok - arrhythmia, no evidence of steroids

Cherpanov - inconclusive, but no solid evidence of steroid use or doping

Zholtok, Cherepanov, and Mickey Renaud all died of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, along with dozens of other young athletes. At this time, there is no conclusive evidence that shows a link between hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and anabolic steroid use. There is no proof at all that any of these players mentioned above, or Rick Rypien, have used steroids. We don't even know what the cause of death was for Rick Rypien! For all we know, this could have been a suicide. (And to anyone that thinks "he had nothing to be depressed about" and things along those lines, depression is a disease, much like addiction. The general public is very ignorant when it comes to both of these diseases.)

EDIT: Only the first sentence was intended personally for you, just to clarify how those individuals died.

Edited by stevie for president

Wow, being neg'ed for simply stating that anger or being mad at an individual who takes their own life due to depression is the wrong emotion. The fact of the matter is that sadness is the correct emotion to feel about this. Sadness that Rick was never able to get control of his disease or see a doctor that was able to help. Neg this all you want. That's the truth.

Sadness and anger is a normal reaction to grief and the loss of a loved one, regardless of how they died. When the person was young and still had expected calendar years left, it makes it even harder.

I just buried a 33-year-old friend last week. Too young. Too many medical problems culminating in cancer.

Acceptance happens eventually, even though the sting is still there. I can imagine that he meant more to you since he was on your team. Take care of yourself, dear.

Sorry for your loss :(

Wow, being neg'ed for simply stating that anger or being mad at an individual who takes their own life due to depression is the wrong emotion. The fact of the matter is that sadness is the correct emotion to feel about this. Sadness that Rick was never able to get control of his disease or see a doctor that was able to help. Neg this all you want. That's the truth.

I'm not sure there is a "wrong emotion". People handle stuff like this in different ways. There may very-well be some people who were a helluva lot closer to Rypien than I was feeling the same way at this moment, because according to everything I've been reading the last few minutes, anger is a very common emotion in a case like this. I've also been reading that denying anger is more harmful than expressing it, so I guess perhaps I'm more well-adjusted than you give me credit for.

edit: I want to be clear. Me feeling angry (and it is perhaps better described as bewilderment) comes from a place that has nothing to do with what a family member may feel. It may be a similar emotion but is undoubtedly rooted in a different place.

And thanks Karen, but I'm just a hockey fan like you guys. And sorry for your loss also.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

Guest Crymson

I've gone from sadness and grief last night to a bit of anger at Rypien today for wasting his life. He had it pretty good when looking at things from the surface. I also realize the anger I feel is likely born of ignorance about clinical depression.

Correct. Please acknowledge this and avoid making pretentious statements.

Both well put.

People suffering from depression don't commit suicide to be selfish assholes. They do it to end pain. It's psychological, but it's still pain and can be constant and unbearable.

It's not pain. It's suffering. There's a difference. The average person feels pain when something very saddening happens. What depression causes is a step beyond that.

It's definitely a disease that's swept under the rug too often. Major depression is not the same as just being sad, or cynical, or negative. It comes from brain chemistry and from the depths of who a person is, and is not something that millions of dollars or playing a sport you love will change. Honestly the regular exercise and routine of practices and teammates probably helped, but sadly it wasn't enough.

The average person who hasn't suffered from depression is unaware of how hugely dangerous severe depression can be. When it comes to battling serious depression, especially if it's a lifetime condition, you win or you die.

I'm not sure there is a "wrong emotion". People handle stuff like this in different ways. There may very-well be some people who were a helluva lot closer to Rypien than I was feeling the same way at this moment, because according to everything I've been reading the last few minutes, anger is a very common emotion in a case like this. I've also been reading that denying anger is more harmful than expressing it, so I guess perhaps I'm more well-adjusted than you give me credit for.

edit: I want to be clear. Me feeling angry (and it is perhaps better described as bewilderment) comes from a place that has nothing to do with what a family member may feel. It may be a similar emotion but is undoubtedly rooted in a different place.

And thanks Karen, but I'm just a hockey fan like you guys. And sorry for your loss also.

I never said you weren't well-adjusted or that holding in anger is a good thing. I simply find it to be misplaced in the case of depression. A few of the closest people in my life have battled depression their whole lives, and I also had a friend who ultimately took his life because he simply couldn't bear to live with it any longer.

Like you said, your feeling of anger is perhaps better described as bewilderment. I think that's a much better way of putting it. For me, the only sense of anger I can see regarding this situation would be if Rick had continuously tried to get help for his depression and the system kept failing him because we just don't have a handle on depression the way we'd all like up to this point.

It's not pain. It's suffering. There's a difference. The average person feels pain when something very saddening happens. What depression causes is a step beyond that.

Whatever man. Argue semantics if you want but I think we're basically saying the same thing.

cripes this thread has gotten s***ty in an unexpected way.

Back on topic, RIP Rick Rypien.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I never said you weren't well-adjusted or that holding in anger is a good thing. I find it to be misplaced in the case of depression. A few of the closest people in my life have battled depression their whole lives, and I also had a friend who ultimately took his life because he simply couldn't bear to live with it any longer.

Like you said, your feeling of anger is perhaps better described as bewilderment. I think that's a much better way of putting it. For me, the only sense of anger I can see regarding this situation would be if Rick had continuously tried to get help for his problem and the system kept failing him because we just don't have a handle on depression the way we'd all like up to this point.

I hear you Mac. And I do regret a little using the word "anger" straight up. It's more like a "WTF and why would you do this" kind of thing. I just don't understand choosing death over a pretty good life. But I guess the answer is in that seomewhere. For him, it wasn't a good life, but me having never been through it or close to someone who has - I just don't understand.

I hear you Mac. And I do regret a little using the word "anger" straight up. It's more like a "WTF and why would you do this" kind of thing. I just don't understand choosing death over a pretty good life. But I guess the answer is in that seomewhere. For him, it wasn't a good life, but me having never been through it or close to someone who has - I just don't understand.

In a sick way, be thankful that you nor anyone you're personally close to has been through it. It's brutally difficult and practically at all times there's nothing you can do to help.

I feel for Rick for having had to deal with this and for it to be so severe he simply couldn't live it any more.

In a sick way, be thankful that you nor anyone you're personally close to has been through it. It's brutally difficult and practically at all times there's nothing you can do to help.

I feel for Rick for having had to deal with this and for it to be so severe he simply couldn't live it any more.

Absolutely.

Guest Crymson

Whatever man. Argue semantics if you want but I think we're basically saying the same thing.

I'm not trying to argue semantics. I'm trying to make a distinction for the sake of those who know little of depression.

The guy obviously had problems; he grabbed a fan in the crowd, rage issues at the very least.

I flamed him then for it, but now that seems petty.

It's hard to call for someone's head when they didn't have it themselves.

RIP Mr. Rypien.

The guy obviously had problems; he grabbed a fan in the crowd, rage issues at the very least.

I flamed him then for it, but now that seems petty.

It's hard to call for someone's head when they didn't have it themselves.

RIP Mr. Rypien.

tbh that fan prolly deserved it.

"For me he was so special because here I was this young kid and he was this guy who would take on the world for his teammates," said Schira, an Ottawa Senators prospect who played last season with Binghamton of the AHL. "I remember getting off to a slow start and was struggling with my confidence and he just took me under his wing. One game in particular I played well and he was the first one to come to me after and congratulate me. He was a guy I looked up to all year. Just the way he treated the young guys is something I've tried to bring to the teams I've played on. I'll never forget him for that."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Rick+Rypien+former+teammates+shocked+death/5262132/story.html#ixzz1VEq119Ok

Couple of good brief interviews about Rypien on Vancouver radio today.

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/reaction-to-rick-rypiens-death-is-pouring-in/

Gillis There Is No Blueprint

Tanner Glass

Glass slips up here and there and talks of Rypien in the present tense. Kinda sad.

There is also apparently an interview with John Garret that's just taken place where he tells of Rypiens girlfriend when he was in junior hockey dying in a car accident. Apparently she was killed when she was on her way to see Rypien play. I had never heard that before. Can't confirm this yet though because I missed it and the stream isn't up yet.

There is also apparently an interview with John Garret that's just taken place where he tells of Rypiens girlfriend when he was in junior hockey dying in a car accident. Apparently she was killed when she was on her way to see Rypien play. I had never heard that before. Can't confirm this yet though because I missed it and the stream isn't up yet.

Confirmed in an interview on Sportsnet Pacific. Rypien was playing junior with the Regina Pats.

Mac, that actually is something I can identify with.

All in one calender year we've seen Probert, Rypien, and Boogaard die and Crosby's career maybe done, and still no mention by the NHL about eliminating head shots. Someone has to die on the ice before they do something.

I understand Rypien's death was due to depression, but getting punched in the head didn't help his situation.

All in one calender year we've seen Probert, Rypien, and Boogaard die and Crosby's career maybe done, and still no mention by the NHL about eliminating head shots. Someone has to die on the ice before they do something.

I understand Rypien's death was due to depression, but getting punched in the head didn't help his situation.

its the players fault if there skating up the ice with their head down. and players that fight no the risk.