• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

Oh my gosh. Thoughts and prayers for the loved ones. This is unbelievable. RIP Rick. You will be missed. If anyone can find a Rypien name and number shirt or something, please post it here. The enforcer gang takes another hit :(
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#22 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:08 AM

This is really sad. I read the initial reports and I assumed it was some kind of alcohol/drug related death, and now I'm hearing it was a suicide. That one really tears me up, I just really feel for the guy's family...what a shame... :bye2:

edit: Winnipeg Free Press: Rypien "hid his dark emotions"

Edited by evilmrt, 16 August 2011 - 01:09 AM.

#23 Bramsy

Bramsy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

this is F'd up. total shame!

no more losses.... only game losses, k? k

nothing witty

#24 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

Rypien was one of the more solid scrappers in the league, despite his size. 226 penalty minutes in 119 games. I was looking forward to seeing him return to where he started his hockey career.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 16 August 2011 - 01:31 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#25 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:50 AM

Horrible news. I always liked his style of play. Energetic player and great pound for pound fighter.

:(
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#26 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:56 AM

Unfortunately, much of society everywhere lacks an appreciation of how real and how dangerous depression can be.

exactly right. unfortunately i've had to deal with depression in my life and my mother will still say things like "what do you have to be depressed about?" she just doesn't understand that it doesn't work that way. it took a little while but eventually i learned that things do get better.

was it this past year he went after a fan after being ejected in minnesota? i remember thinking then that he must be struggling internally. if it is suicide...man that's just awful. 28 years old is too young to give up. tragic.
Posted Image

#27 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

Such a shame this happened. I was just you tubing him a couple days ago, he was such a great fighter it's too bad he lost this battle. My best wish's go out to his friends and family as well as his fans everywhere.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#28 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

was it this past year he went after a fan after being ejected in minnesota?

Yeah, and whether people like it or not, that is the main thing 99.9% of people are going to remember him for...being the guy who attacked a fan in the stands for no reason.

Edited by sleepwalker, 16 August 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

I'm pretty sure Rypien had been put on leave of absence for personal reasons two or three times while he was with the Canucks. Sounds like he had some demons. Sad, sad news.

#30 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

Such sad news. It sounded like he tried to deal with his depression with that leave of absence, such a shame that it came to this. Whatever his demons were he must not have been able to fight them. :( I have a cousin that has attempted to take his life 2 times and when I don't hear from him for a while I worry and check on him. Depression affects everyone that loves the person suffering through it. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends for their loss.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#31 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

What the hell is it with hockey players passing away as of late? Far too young, so unfortunate and sad. In the last few years we've lost Sergei Zholtok, Dan Snyder, Aelx Cherepanov, Luc Bourdon, Mandi Schwartz, Derek Boogaard, and now Rick Rypien.

Steroids and other that kinda stuff that doesn't belong in the human body. The leagues just don't want to talk about it because it would look bad from a marketing perspective.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#32 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Steroids and other that kinda stuff that doesn't belong in the human body. The leagues just don't want to talk about it because it would look bad from a marketing perspective.

Pretty bold statement to make with 0 evidence or proof. Baseball's had tons of admissions of steroid use and yet I can't recall any premature deaths of baseball players recently.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#33 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

What the hell do steroids have to do with Rypien? Or for that matter, Luc Bourdon dying in a motorcycle accident?
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#34 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

This is very shocking news. I was looking forward to him being the first Jets player to drop the gloves. Watched him as a Regina Pat playing the Wheat Kings and he was impressive then. Then he came to Winnipeg and was one of the only Moose players I gave a s*** about, and then I was pretty excited about him signing with the Jets. Sad to hear about his death. I hope his salary this year is given to his family, or given to a cause that helps deal with depression and helping people through it cause clearly Ripper wasn't the happiest person the past couple years. All the best to his family.

What the hell is it with hockey players passing away as of late? Far too young, so unfortunate and sad. In the last few years we've lost Sergei Zholtok, Dan Snyder, Aelx Cherepanov, Luc Bourdon, Mandi Schwartz, Derek Boogaard, and now Rick Rypien.

and our beloved Bob Probert :(

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#35 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

I certainly didn't need to see this first thing this morning. How sad. Rest in peace, Rick, and walk with angels.
Posted Image

#36 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

Pretty bold statement to make with 0 evidence or proof. Baseball's had tons of admissions of steroid use and yet I can't recall any premature deaths of baseball players recently.

Which statement? Of course we have no concrete proof, or else NHL's marketing system would not have done its job well. Steroids and other enchanters have the possibility of leading to a instant unexcepted dead.

NHL players use stims etc., period. Bigger more physical guys (such as fighters) are more likely to use steroids where as players who rely more to skill may only use restoring stimulants.

#37 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

NHL players use stims etc., period. Bigger more physical guys (such as fighters) are more likely to use steroids where as players who rely more to skill may only use restoring stimulants.

Not the best direction in which to direct this thread.

#38 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

What the hell do steroids have to do with Rypien? Or for that matter, Luc Bourdon dying in a motorcycle accident?

Not directly, necessarily. Rypien has to do with the unexpected deaths lately. And the unexpected death's have to do with steroids etc.

Not the best direction in which to direct this thread.

I didn't know this was a "R.I.P thread" in the Water cooler. I thought you are supposed to actually discuss in the General discussion section. My bad.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 16 August 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

Did you post this in the right thread? What the hell does steroids have to do with the people Hockeytown mentioned?

Dan Snyder - car crash
Luc Bourdon - motorcycle accident
Mandi Schwartz- leukemia
Derek Boogaard - substance abuse problem, but it was alcohol and oxycodone
Zholtok - arrhythmia, no evidence of steroids
Cherpanov - inconclusive, but no solid evidence of steroid use or doping

#40 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

Not directly, necessarily. Rypien has to do with the unexpected deaths lately. And the unexpected death's have to do with steroids etc.

That's a full square yard of bulls***. You're essentially saying Rypien's death was due to steroid use. Get the f*** outta here.
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.