• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

X13WINGS13X

Rick Rypien found dead

Rate this topic

Unfortunately, much of society everywhere lacks an appreciation of how real and how dangerous depression can be.

exactly right. unfortunately i've had to deal with depression in my life and my mother will still say things like "what do you have to be depressed about?" she just doesn't understand that it doesn't work that way. it took a little while but eventually i learned that things do get better.

was it this past year he went after a fan after being ejected in minnesota? i remember thinking then that he must be struggling internally. if it is suicide...man that's just awful. 28 years old is too young to give up. tragic.

was it this past year he went after a fan after being ejected in minnesota?

Yeah, and whether people like it or not, that is the main thing 99.9% of people are going to remember him for...being the guy who attacked a fan in the stands for no reason.

Edited by sleepwalker

Such sad news. It sounded like he tried to deal with his depression with that leave of absence, such a shame that it came to this. Whatever his demons were he must not have been able to fight them. :( I have a cousin that has attempted to take his life 2 times and when I don't hear from him for a while I worry and check on him. Depression affects everyone that loves the person suffering through it. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends for their loss.

What the hell is it with hockey players passing away as of late? Far too young, so unfortunate and sad. In the last few years we've lost Sergei Zholtok, Dan Snyder, Aelx Cherepanov, Luc Bourdon, Mandi Schwartz, Derek Boogaard, and now Rick Rypien.

Steroids and other that kinda stuff that doesn't belong in the human body. The leagues just don't want to talk about it because it would look bad from a marketing perspective.

Steroids and other that kinda stuff that doesn't belong in the human body. The leagues just don't want to talk about it because it would look bad from a marketing perspective.

Pretty bold statement to make with 0 evidence or proof. Baseball's had tons of admissions of steroid use and yet I can't recall any premature deaths of baseball players recently.

What the hell do steroids have to do with Rypien? Or for that matter, Luc Bourdon dying in a motorcycle accident?

This is very shocking news. I was looking forward to him being the first Jets player to drop the gloves. Watched him as a Regina Pat playing the Wheat Kings and he was impressive then. Then he came to Winnipeg and was one of the only Moose players I gave a s*** about, and then I was pretty excited about him signing with the Jets. Sad to hear about his death. I hope his salary this year is given to his family, or given to a cause that helps deal with depression and helping people through it cause clearly Ripper wasn't the happiest person the past couple years. All the best to his family.

What the hell is it with hockey players passing away as of late? Far too young, so unfortunate and sad. In the last few years we've lost Sergei Zholtok, Dan Snyder, Aelx Cherepanov, Luc Bourdon, Mandi Schwartz, Derek Boogaard, and now Rick Rypien.

and our beloved Bob Probert :(

Pretty bold statement to make with 0 evidence or proof. Baseball's had tons of admissions of steroid use and yet I can't recall any premature deaths of baseball players recently.

Which statement? Of course we have no concrete proof, or else NHL's marketing system would not have done its job well. Steroids and other enchanters have the possibility of leading to a instant unexcepted dead.

NHL players use stims etc., period. Bigger more physical guys (such as fighters) are more likely to use steroids where as players who rely more to skill may only use restoring stimulants.

What the hell do steroids have to do with Rypien? Or for that matter, Luc Bourdon dying in a motorcycle accident?

Not directly, necessarily. Rypien has to do with the unexpected deaths lately. And the unexpected death's have to do with steroids etc.

Not the best direction in which to direct this thread.

I didn't know this was a "R.I.P thread" in the Water cooler. I thought you are supposed to actually discuss in the General discussion section. My bad. Edited by Finnish Wing

Did you post this in the right thread? What the hell does steroids have to do with the people Hockeytown mentioned?

Dan Snyder - car crash

Luc Bourdon - motorcycle accident

Mandi Schwartz- leukemia

Derek Boogaard - substance abuse problem, but it was alcohol and oxycodone

Zholtok - arrhythmia, no evidence of steroids

Cherpanov - inconclusive, but no solid evidence of steroid use or doping

Not directly, necessarily. Rypien has to do with the unexpected deaths lately. And the unexpected death's have to do with steroids etc.

That's a full square yard of bulls***. You're essentially saying Rypien's death was due to steroid use. Get the f*** outta here.

Which statement? Of course we have no concrete proof, or else NHL's marketing system would not have done its job well. Steroids and other enchanters have the possibility of leading to a instant unexcepted dead.

NHL players use stims etc., period. Bigger more physical guys (such as fighters) are more likely to use steroids where as players who rely more to skill may only use restoring stimulants.

To be clear, you're making baseless accusations. No evidence, links, nothing.

I didn't know this was a "R.I.P thread" in the Water cooler. I thought you are supposed to actually discuss in the General discussion section. My bad.

Of the unexpected deaths, only a couple could even be loosely tied to potential steroids or doping.

You really can't see how people might get upset when you come into a thread about a hockey player who just died, and with no evidence at all imply that his death is due to steroids. And then go on and lump a bunch of other hockey deaths in the same category, when they clearly had no link to steroid abuse?

I'm on the west coast of Canada and listening to local Vancouver radio this very second. All the discussion is about Rypien's battle with severe clinical depression and how unfortunate this whole thing is.

Rypien was one of my favourite Canucks. He was known as a kind man who cared for his teammates and had some great friends and advocates in Kevin Bieksa and Mason Raymond. They publicly stood up for him (as did the Canucks organization) through his battles with depression and leaves of absence from the Canucks. Rypien was a troubled young man and his death has a lot in common with psychological issues and nothing to do with steroids. f*** all.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

I'm on the west coast of Canada and listening to local Vancouver radio this very second. All the discussion is about Rypien's battle with severe clinical depression and how unfortunate this whole thing is.

Rypien was one of my favourite Canucks. He was known as a kind man who cared for his teammates and had some great friends and advocates in Kevin Bieksa and Mason Raymond. They publicly stood up for him (as did the Canucks organization) through his battles with depression and leaves of absence from the Canucks. Rypien was a troubled young man and his death has a lot in common with psychological issues and nothing to do with steroids. f*** all.

The Canucks did everything they could for him when he was in their organization. Such a shame he felt he had no other alternative because he was a good role model until a couple of days ago.

Did you post this in the right thread? What the hell does steroids have to do with the people Hockeytown mentioned?

Dan Snyder - car crash

Luc Bourdon - motorcycle accident

Mandi Schwartz- leukemia

Derek Boogaard - substance abuse problem, but it was alcohol and oxycodone

Zholtok - arrhythmia, no evidence of steroids

Cherpanov - inconclusive, but no solid evidence of steroid use or doping

Agreed.

While steroids is something that is kept hush-hush in the NHL and swept under the rug and ignored, it also has nothing to do with the deaths being discussed in this thread, which as you pointed out were caused by a variety of different things, none of which were steroids.

The Canucks did everything they could for him when he was in their organization. Such a shame he felt he had no other alternative because he was a good role model until a couple of days ago.

I've gone from sadness and grief last night to a bit of anger at Rypien today for wasting his life. He had it pretty good when looking at things from the surface. I also realize the anger I feel is likely born of ignorance about clinical depression. I don't know. It's just all so tragic on so many different levels. I loved the guy and maybe I'm being selfish that I won't get to see this little guy take on guys a foot taller who outweigh him by 70 pounds ever again. I know he was no longer a Canuck and I was pissed about that, but still, this is all so s***ty. I guess he will always be a Canuck now.

Rick+Rypien+Wiki+2.jpg

Edited by Chairman Maouth

I've gone from sadness and grief last night to a bit of anger at Rypien today for wasting his life. He had it pretty good when looking at things from the surface. I also realize the anger I feel is likely born of ignorance about clinical depression. I don't know. It's just all so tragic on so many different levels. I loved the guy and maybe I'm being selfish that I won't get to see this little guy take on guys a foot taller who outweigh him by 70 pounds ever again. I know he was no longer a Canuck and I was pissed about that, but still, this is all so s***ty. I guess he will always be a Canuck now.

Rick+Rypien+Wiki+2.jpg

If that's your thought process, than you truly don't understand depression.

That's not a knock on you, as you claimed ignorance about the disease. I'm just confirming the fact that you don't know enough about it.

RIP Rick.

If that's your thought process, than you truly don't understand depression.

That's not a knock on you, as you claimed ignorance about the disease. I'm just confirming the fact that you don't know enough about it.

RIP Rick.

Yeah thanks for the confirmation. Very helpful.