• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

X13WINGS13X

Rick Rypien found dead

Rate this topic

tbh that fan prolly deserved it.

I know, right. And those innocent bystanders that get hit by stray bullets during drive-by shootings deserve it too, cause, like, why were they sitting on their porch like that just waiting around for bullets to hit them?

C'mon. We are all in shock Rick died, but be honest, that kid was just standing there clapping his hands and got attacked.

Edited by sleepwalker

wow - I never knew there were so many PhD's floating around on the LGW message boards. I'll come here for expert opinions on things people generally have no idea what they are talking about more often.

Guest Crymson

I have to think that you just thought to yourself, "What is the most over-the-top ironic thing I can say" - and came up with that.

I have to think that you just thought to yourself, "What is the most over-the-top ironic thing I can say" - and came up with that.

I know, right. And those innocent bystanders that get hit by stray bullets during drive-by shootings deserve it too, cause, like, why were they sitting on their porch like that just waiting around for bullets to hit them?

C'mon. We are all in shock Rick died, but be honest, that kid was just standing there clapping his hands and got attacked.

anyone that hangs anywhere near people that are shot in drive byes are usually scum. but you dont know what that fan said. maybe the refs shoulda let him fight somone on the ice then this wouldnt have happend, I blame the refs for ruining the fun.

anyone that hangs anywhere near people that are shot in drive byes are usually scum. but you dont know what that fan said. maybe the refs shoulda let him fight somone on the ice then this wouldnt have happend, I blame the refs for ruining the fun. and yea that guy was chirpin him.

I never said you weren't well-adjusted or that holding in anger is a good thing. I simply find it to be misplaced in the case of depression. A few of the closest people in my life have battled depression their whole lives, and I also had a friend who ultimately took his life because he simply couldn't bear to live with it any longer.

Like you said, your feeling of anger is perhaps better described as bewilderment. I think that's a much better way of putting it. For me, the only sense of anger I can see regarding this situation would be if Rick had continuously tried to get help for his depression and the system kept failing him because we just don't have a handle on depression the way we'd all like up to this point.

I have no problem with a loved one feeling anger over a suicide. If you are dependent on a person for emotional or financial support and they voluntarily end their life - how can you not feel anger over it? Depression is a disease like addiction, it can be fatal, but it is also curable.

The time frame coincides with an incident that has left then-general manager and current team president Brent Parker questioning himself. Rypien's girlfriend died in a car accident coming to see him play during his second year.

"You could tell he was hurting after that but he was just very stoic — he just kept so much to himself," said Parker. "I don't want to say he was guarded, but he was very private, almost shy. But he seemed to deal with it as well as anyone could. You know it was certainly something I thought of when I heard the news [Monday] and knowing what he went through the last while.

"You start wondering was that a trigger point? Was there something we should have done more at that time or did we miss something? Did we miss some signs? You just question all aspects of it."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Bling+thing+Rick+Rypien+former+junior+hockey+colleagues/5262132/story.html#ixzz1VGcQuE2A

I have no problem with a loved one feeling anger over a suicide. If you are dependent on a person for emotional or financial support and they voluntarily end their life - how can you not feel anger over it? Depression is a disease like addiction, it can be fatal, but it is also curable.

Very true.

The anger need not even be aimed at the person, but at the cause of death, whether it be disease, accident, murder, or even just natural causes. Regardless of what happened, there is loss of time with that person. There is the loss of that person's future, and how it might have been spent.

Sometimes anger at the person who died is the "safest" emotion because they (or their feelings) can't be hurt by the anger.

Life isn't fair, and when things happen that aren't the way we'd like them to go, there is anger, disappointment, frustration... all sorts of feelings may arise depending on the gravity of the event.

There are a ton of emotions one goes through. None are wrong; only acting inappropriately is wrong. Feeling them is up to the individual.

Edit: clarity

Edited by 55fan

Sad to see anyone die young. Even if you didn't like him. I thought he was a bit of a prick, but it is hard to see that happen to anyone.

I think of it like when Jiri went down on the bench. Ended his career and even though I thought he wasn't as good as I expect out of a Red Wing, I was extremely sad to see his career end that way.

I feel the same way about Rypien, but with the added sadness that the people he knew have to suffer a loss as well.

I wish the best for all those hurt by this...

It is also a tremendous shame that the new Winnipeg uniforms will have to have a memorial patch on them so soon.

It is however most sad to know that suffering like this can become so unbearable that it leads to such a justifiably selfish act of suicide.

I have experience in this.. I must say that there is no way to truly sum up how bad this really is for everyone involved.

Anyone indifferent to suicide is callous and maladjusted.

Interesting sub-story taking place.

Mike Gillis was quoted in the Toronto Star yesterday as saying, 'When you come to know somebody and realize they’re a really good person ... but crazy... You don’t only support them when they’re at the top of their game ... you support them when they’re not feeling good about things or have other issues they have to deal with.'"

However, the real story is much different.

http://trevorpresiloski.com/2011/08/the-dangers-of-wikipedia/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-enraged-by-toronto-star-gaffe/article2132308/

Wikipedia is a useful research tool, but when you're using it as a primary source and don't check the Wiki sources, s*** like this happens.

I think we should all take note on how money and playing a game for a living doesn't stop depression.

I know most of us could not comprehend killing yourself when you were to make 700k for playing hockey for the year.

I most likely wouldn't make 700k in my lifetime if the economy doesn't improve, but apparently he was more likely to kill himself... I think this is a good lesson in priorities. Take care of your relationships and family, it is far more important than some money.

Interesting sub-story taking place.

Mike Gillis was quoted in the Toronto Star yesterday as saying, 'When you come to know somebody and realize they’re a really good person ... but crazy... You don’t only support them when they’re at the top of their game ... you support them when they’re not feeling good about things or have other issues they have to deal with.'"

However, the real story is much different.

http://trevorpresiloski.com/2011/08/the-dangers-of-wikipedia/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-enraged-by-toronto-star-gaffe/article2132308/

Wikipedia is a useful research tool, but when you're using it as a primary source and don't check the Wiki sources, s*** like this happens.

Odd choice of words.

Odd choice of words.

Got a Google news alert on this yesterday. Take notice this is the same source that screwed up in the first place. But at least they haven't just tried to forget it all without making any further comment after the retraction. In my opinion though the article is still self-serving and tends to make excuses.

Excerpt from http://www.thestar.com/article/1041612--english-don-t-trust-wikipedia

How did such a mistake happen?

This was a rookie’s mistake, but one I know even experienced journalists at other news organizations have made in recent years: The intern reporter assigned near deadline to write about Rypien found the false information attributed to the Vancouver Sun on Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

He failed to properly verify its accuracy.

Had he done so, he would have discovered that the Gillis quote was bogus. Someone had tampered with the authentic Gillis quote from the Vancouver Sun to make it appear as if Gillis had indeed called the troubled player “crazy.”

Michael Woods, the 23-year-old intern who wrote the story, has learned a tough lesson about the human impact of a journalist’s mistake. He, too, is devastated by his error.

“I’m not going to make excuses. It was an awful mistake, I did not do my due diligence,” said Woods. “Wikipedia is one of the places I often go for a primer on any subject but I had never quoted from it.

“I do know that anyone can tamper with Wikipedia and I keep going over this in my mind wondering why I used that information,” he said. “I think I told myself that because the information was attributed to the Vancouver Sun it had to be right.”

Sports editor Jon Filson was horrified by this error and offered his personal apology to the Canucks. “This harms a lot of people at a time when they are struggling with a big loss of a player who the team had gone out of its way to support through a difficult time.”

Rob Grant, the editor who worked with Woods on the story, was not aware that the reporter had found the Gillis quote on Wikipedia. Woods’ story attributed the quote to the Vancouver Sun and the editor quite rightly regarded this established, mainstream news source as reliable.

Most journalists well understand that while Wikipedia can be a valid starting point for general information, it is not a reliable source. Even Wikipedia warns users: “We do not expect you to trust us.

“It is the nature of an ever-changing work like Wikipedia that while some articles are of the highest quality of scholarship, others are admittedly complete rubbish,” a Wikipedia posting states.

In light of this “humiliating” mistake, the Star’s editor, Michael Cooke, sent a memo to the entire newsroom this week as a reminder of the Star’s policy requiring information obtained from Wikipedia to be verified elsewhere.

“User-generated digital sources, including the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, are not stand-alone, authoritative sources of information and should never be used as sole sources,” the policy says.