• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

Towards the end of summer a few hints come out as to who the Wings were targeting:

Obviously Jagr: Wings were offering $2.5m (compared to the Pens $2.1m)

Wiesnewski: Considering James went out of his way to trash Detroit and state they did not pay fair prices for players - I think it is fair to say he was targeted.

Jovanovski: Apparently he was one of the first defensemen to receive offers from Detroit - for 2 years, but Florida offered 4.

I wouldn't have minded if Holland had upped his offer to Jagr, but can understand why Holland pulled his offer: Jagr's agent was secretly setting up a bidding war for his client.

I think Jovo and Wies ended up getting way too much $$$ and term, so I am not too disappointed Holland did not offer something comparable.

Just curious if anyone else has heard of other Holland targets.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#2 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

Didn't they kick the tires quite a bit on Fleischmann as well?

#3 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

Didn't they kick the tires quite a bit on Fleischmann as well?

From what I saw, they looked at him but weren't convinced that the whole health scare with the pulmonary embolism was a thing of the past. Don't believe Kenny even extended an offer.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#4 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

Fleischmann, Upshall, Theodore and Mike Smith. Along with those mentioned in the opening post, I would've loved Scottie Upshall but I'm ok with the rest going elsewhere.

#NOMOREKINDL

#5 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Fleischmann, Upshall, Theodore and Mike Smith. Along with those mentioned in the opening post, I would've loved Scottie Upshall but I'm ok with the rest going elsewhere.

Vokoun was on that list too, wasn't he?

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#6 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'm pretty sure yes he was as well, but opted for the starter position in Washington instead of the backup here.

#NOMOREKINDL

#7 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,388 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

Would not have minded Upshall or Mike Smith, but happy that Conks is returning.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#8 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

I know I was a huge advocate for Wiz, but considering the situation and the over gross salary he got, I am glad Holland didn't sign him. All in all, I am super happy with our changes, other than the exact names, Holland has done pretty much what I was hoping for: Two right handed defensmen, who happen to be tougher and more physical. The re-signed Miller and Eaves, allowed Draper and Osgood to retire too. The only thing that he couldn't do, was land that ligit top 6 forward (or trade Piddler.) So I am very happy with the guys he got, and even happy with the guys he tried to get (Vokoun would've been sweet, but he obviously wanted a starting role, even though he was offered the same contract from Detroit first.) Just get rid of Piddler and the off-season will be nearly perfect!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#9 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Was the REAL Hudler targeted?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#10 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

I'm glad with the free agents we got this off season. Typical Wings moves, acquire mid level players to play their roles and contend for the Cup. The Rags can overpay for players who don't live up to their contracts.

Edited by kylee, 16 August 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#11 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

Vokoun was quoted in saying that Detroit and Washington were the only two teams to extend offers. This is shocking to me as he is one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL. He is exactly what Washington needs next season.
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#12 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

James Wiznewski could have never received an official offer from the Wings because his rights were traded and he was signed prior to 7/1. His comments were just him being him in my opinion. He's an agitator.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#13 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Glad the Wings got Ian Hwite though.

#14 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Nothing official but I would guess Kenny was in talks for Brent Burns but just couldn't give the Wild the package they wanted. So be it :P I'm very happy with this offseason's transactions for us :thumbup:

#15 Bramsy

Bramsy

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

^ i had a fishy feeling that Burns was in Kenny's eye...

oh well

Edited by Bramsy, 17 August 2011 - 01:42 AM.

nothing witty

#16 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:24 AM

The Rags can overpay for players who don't live up to their contracts.

I would say "can't".

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#17 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

As far as I know, Vokoun contacted the Wings... so I would say he was not targeted by that rational.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#18 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

As far as I know, Vokoun contacted the Wings... so I would say he was not targeted by that rational.

From mlive...

The Red Wings pursued several goalies through free agency, including Tomas Vokoun, who signed with Washington, Jose Theodore (Florida) and Mike Smith (Phoenix). But all wanted starting roles and weren't interested in backing up Jimmy Howard and playing only 20-25 games.

From that, I would say it was a little bit more discussion then Vokoun's agent just reaching out to gauge interest.

#19 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

Im glad they dident get wis or Jov WOuldent have minded jagr but I have a feeling he is going to get injured anyways. I wanted them to sign Scott Hannan.

#20 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

From mlive...

From that, I would say it was a little bit more discussion then Vokoun's agent just reaching out to gauge interest.

That is just how you define perusing. If someone calls you and says they would like to play for you, and you say here is a contract, you could call that persuing. I think of it as targeting. Did the Wings say, let us go get Vokoun? No, therefore I wouldn't say we targeted him.

Feel free to disagree, but that was my opinion on the matter. I think it was Osgood or bustConks the whole way until Vokoun presented himself.

Semantics? Perhaps, but that is what happened.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.