• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
egroen

Who the Wings Targeted in UFA

Rate this topic

Towards the end of summer a few hints come out as to who the Wings were targeting:

Obviously Jagr: Wings were offering $2.5m (compared to the Pens $2.1m)

Wiesnewski: Considering James went out of his way to trash Detroit and state they did not pay fair prices for players - I think it is fair to say he was targeted.

Jovanovski: Apparently he was one of the first defensemen to receive offers from Detroit - for 2 years, but Florida offered 4.

I wouldn't have minded if Holland had upped his offer to Jagr, but can understand why Holland pulled his offer: Jagr's agent was secretly setting up a bidding war for his client.

I think Jovo and Wies ended up getting way too much $$$ and term, so I am not too disappointed Holland did not offer something comparable.

Just curious if anyone else has heard of other Holland targets.

I know I was a huge advocate for Wiz, but considering the situation and the over gross salary he got, I am glad Holland didn't sign him. All in all, I am super happy with our changes, other than the exact names, Holland has done pretty much what I was hoping for: Two right handed defensmen, who happen to be tougher and more physical. The re-signed Miller and Eaves, allowed Draper and Osgood to retire too. The only thing that he couldn't do, was land that ligit top 6 forward (or trade Piddler.) So I am very happy with the guys he got, and even happy with the guys he tried to get (Vokoun would've been sweet, but he obviously wanted a starting role, even though he was offered the same contract from Detroit first.) Just get rid of Piddler and the off-season will be nearly perfect!

I'm glad with the free agents we got this off season. Typical Wings moves, acquire mid level players to play their roles and contend for the Cup. The Rags can overpay for players who don't live up to their contracts.

Edited by kylee

Vokoun was quoted in saying that Detroit and Washington were the only two teams to extend offers. This is shocking to me as he is one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL. He is exactly what Washington needs next season.

James Wiznewski could have never received an official offer from the Wings because his rights were traded and he was signed prior to 7/1. His comments were just him being him in my opinion. He's an agitator.

As far as I know, Vokoun contacted the Wings... so I would say he was not targeted by that rational.

From mlive...

The Red Wings pursued several goalies through free agency, including Tomas Vokoun, who signed with Washington, Jose Theodore (Florida) and Mike Smith (Phoenix). But all wanted starting roles and weren't interested in backing up Jimmy Howard and playing only 20-25 games.

From that, I would say it was a little bit more discussion then Vokoun's agent just reaching out to gauge interest.

From mlive...

From that, I would say it was a little bit more discussion then Vokoun's agent just reaching out to gauge interest.

That is just how you define perusing. If someone calls you and says they would like to play for you, and you say here is a contract, you could call that persuing. I think of it as targeting. Did the Wings say, let us go get Vokoun? No, therefore I wouldn't say we targeted him.

Feel free to disagree, but that was my opinion on the matter. I think it was Osgood or bustConks the whole way until Vokoun presented himself.

Semantics? Perhaps, but that is what happened.

I know I was a huge advocate for Wiz, but considering the situation and the over gross salary he got, I am glad Holland didn't sign him. All in all, I am super happy with our changes, other than the exact names, Holland has done pretty much what I was hoping for: Two right handed defensmen, who happen to be tougher and more physical. The re-signed Miller and Eaves, allowed Draper and Osgood to retire too. The only thing that he couldn't do, was land that ligit top 6 forward (or trade Piddler.) So I am very happy with the guys he got, and even happy with the guys he tried to get (Vokoun would've been sweet, but he obviously wanted a starting role, even though he was offered the same contract from Detroit first.) Just get rid of Piddler and the off-season will be nearly perfect!

I'm pretty much on par with LeftWinger here...dump huds and we're cookin. I don't so much want to see Holland sign another top 6 guy as i'd like to see Tatar and Nyquist get a shot with the wings and have room for maybe Mursak to play and keep Emmerton as the 13/14 fwd. I don't want to see more prospects like Quincey, Ritola and kind of Leino (as he didn't have room for a spot in the top 6) move away to other clubs with no return. personally, i love the current wings minus hudler and would like to see someone work to take his spot. at this point, i don't even care if Holland gets a bag of pucks for him. waive and stick in GR if no one bites.

That is just how you define perusing. If someone calls you and says they would like to play for you, and you say here is a contract, you could call that persuing. I think of it as targeting. Did the Wings say, let us go get Vokoun? No, therefore I wouldn't say we targeted him.

Feel free to disagree, but that was my opinion on the matter. I think it was Osgood or bustConks the whole way until Vokoun presented himself.

Semantics? Perhaps, but that is what happened.

A contract offer made crosses that line from perusing to targeting someone, at least by definition. Perusing=reading or studying with care Targeting=To take aim at with an intended goal

Perusing="Sure Tomas, we'll take a look at whether we have a place on the team for you & get back to you..."

Targeting="Tomas, here's the contract we want to offer you as a backup to Jimmy Howard..."

It's actually more appropriate to say that the Wings perused Tomas Fleischmann as a potential free agent pickup as all they did in that case was study up on his health issues & then determine not to offer him a contract. In Vokoun's case, by all counts, Kenny did offer him a contract.

Fleischmann, Upshall, Theodore and Mike Smith. Along with those mentioned in the opening post, I would've loved Scottie Upshall but I'm ok with the rest going elsewhere.

I was definitely a fan of bringing Smith in. I'd have preferred him over Conklin. Smith is better than Conks and has plenty of potential. If he plays to his best, even just based on past performance, he could take the job away from Howard. Fleischmann would have cost far beyond what he would have brought for the Wings, Upshall would have been good for the Wings, and Theodore would have been meh.

Im glad they dident get wis or Jov WOuldent have minded jagr but I have a feeling he is going to get injured anyways. I wanted them to sign Scott Hannan.

Wiz would have been an excellent pickup at a reasonable price. He brings everything White brings, but he has a higher level of offense which would have replaced the loss of Rafalski's production. He also would have been a definite upgrade over Ericsson in every possible respect in the lineup.

Edited by eva unit zero

A contract offer made crosses that line from perusing to targeting someone, at least by definition. Perusing=reading or studying with care Targeting=To take aim at with an intended goal

Perusing="Sure Tomas, we'll take a look at whether we have a place on the team for you & get back to you..."

Targeting="Tomas, here's the contract we want to offer you as a backup to Jimmy Howard..."

It's actually more appropriate to say that the Wings perused Tomas Fleischmann as a potential free agent pickup as all they did in that case was study up on his health issues & then determine not to offer him a contract. In Vokoun's case, by all counts, Kenny did offer him a contract.

Yep. I agree with that statement.