• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Fedorov AND Bure?

Rate this topic

http://detroithockeyreport.com/2011/08/15/when-gretzky-and-bure-were-both-red-wings/

• In the 1989 NHL Draft, The Detroit Red Wings planned on drafting Pavel Bure with their 5th round selection, but were told he was ineligible by league officials due to the fact he had not played in enough pro games. At the time the IIHF required draft eligible European players to play in at least 11 pro games with their club to be eligible to be drafted after the 3rd round. It turns out that Bure had played in the required amount of games and Vancouver selected him with their pick in the 6th round.

I could not have imagined the scoring on this team if they had BOTH Fedorov AND Bure.... (talk about convenient for Anna though! :lol: )

I knew the Gretzky scenario, that would've been cool too, because Gretzky was traded in 1988, so the team would've had Gretzky, Fedorov and Bure...But unfortunately acquiring Gretzky would have surely cost them Yzerman....

http://detroithockeyreport.com/2011/08/15/when-gretzky-and-bure-were-both-red-wings/

I could not have imagined the scoring on this team if they had BOTH Fedorov AND Bure.... (talk about convenient for Anna though! :lol: )

I knew the Gretzky scenario, that would've been cool too, because Gretzky was traded in 1988, so the team would've had Gretzky, Fedorov and Bure...But unfortunately acquiring Gretzky would have surely cost them Yzerman....

Pocklington wanted money, not another expensive contract like Yzerman.

Wings also came close to getting Bourque and Roy in trades.

About the whole Gretzky thing... it's nice to know that even in 1988 when the wings were far from the model NHL organization it was still considered a good hockey town and one of the most desirable places for the greatest hockey player that has ever lived.

and I'm pretty sure Jimmy D has said on multiple occasions he wanted and tried to get Ray Bourque in a wings uniform multiple times.

I still can't believe the Wings picked Primeau right before Jagr. Grrrrrr......

And just to take it to ridiculous lengths of "what-ifs" the Wings came close to having during the 90s:

Gretzky Yzerman Jagr

Kozlov* Fedorov Bure

Who cares

Lidstrom Bourque

Konstantinov*

Roy

Osgood

* Without car accidents - Kozlov was incredibly hyped before his.

I still can't believe the Wings picked Primeau right before Jagr. Grrrrrr......

And just to take it to ridiculous lengths of "what-ifs" the Wings came close to having during the 90s:

Gretzky Yzerman Jagr

Kozlov* Fedorov Bure

Who cares

Lidstrom Bourque

Konstantinov*

Roy

Osgood

* Without car accidents - Kozlov was incredibly hyped before his.

Without car accidents, you have to include Igor Grigorenko. From Russian reports he was the Alex Ovechkin before Ovechkin was. Even after recovering from a shattered femur and a near fatal embolism he was healthy and still projected as a second/third line tweener within two years.

Without car accidents, you have to include Igor Grigorenko. From Russian reports he was the Alex Ovechkin before Ovechkin was. Even after recovering from a shattered femur and a near fatal embolism he was healthy and still projected as a second/third line tweener within two years.

No, one wouldn't have to include Grigorenko in this discussion since the comment was about the potential line-up in the 90's. Grigorenko was drafted in 2001.

No, one wouldn't have to include Grigorenko in this discussion since the comment was about the potential line-up in the 90's. Grigorenko was drafted in 2001.

The discussion began as simply "What if Detroit had been allowed to draft Bure, instead of the NHL making a clerical error that round?"

In reality, it makes you think; Detroit selected Bure and the NHL said he wasn't available. What if Vancouver, being interested in him, realized this and double-checked it, provided the necessary information between Detroit's 5th round pick and their own 6th round pick? Shouldn't the NHL have then offered Detroit the option of changing their 5th round pick to Bure, and making Shawn McCosh available for selection? The scary thing here is that such a scenario might cost the Wings Dallas Drake, who was their 6th round selection. Drake for Bure would certainly be worthwhile, but I'd rather have Drake than McCosh as Drake was a top-six player and top defensive forward most of his career, while McCosh was a career minor-leaguer.

The discussion began as simply "What if Detroit had been allowed to draft Bure, instead of the NHL making a clerical error that round?"

In reality, it makes you think; Detroit selected Bure and the NHL said he wasn't available. What if Vancouver, being interested in him, realized this and double-checked it, provided the necessary information between Detroit's 5th round pick and their own 6th round pick? Shouldn't the NHL have then offered Detroit the option of changing their 5th round pick to Bure, and making Shawn McCosh available for selection? The scary thing here is that such a scenario might cost the Wings Dallas Drake, who was their 6th round selection. Drake for Bure would certainly be worthwhile, but I'd rather have Drake than McCosh as Drake was a top-six player and top defensive forward most of his career, while McCosh was a career minor-leaguer.

Yeah the trickle down effect is pretty interesting to think of all the "what-ifs". But like you and others have said or implied, I am pretty pleased with how it all turned out in the end.

with an attitude problem. surely that wasn't caused by the embolism.