• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Shanahan reveals some details on process he will take for discipline

Rate this topic

Good read. He will be criticized just as badly as Campbell was when he takes a stance that someone (anyone!) finds to be different from their own, but that comes with the territory. At least we'll hear why he decided what he did. Then people can voice their dissent.

Good read. He will be criticized just as badly as Campbell was when he takes a stance that someone (anyone!) finds to be different from their own, but that comes with the territory. At least we'll hear why he decided what he did. Then people can voice their dissent.

Exactly. The problem with Campbell wasn't so much the actual decisions, it was the rampant inconsistency and lack of any explanation or follow through that was the problem.

This and the fact that he had known and publicized biases towards individual players, and that fact that (at least it seemed based on what information was given) that he alone made the decisions.

I think discipline by committee is a huge step forward and more closely resembles an actual judicial system.

I wish him the best of luck, it is certainly a pretty thankless job.

It seems to me that Shanny is a great guy for the job. I totally agree with the idea of releasing at the very least a statement on every situation that comes before the board, so we as fans can try to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Any idea if these videos will be released to the general public or just sent to teams?

At least now when people disagree there might be some level of understanding. It's amazing that so many simple solutions like this take so long to be implemented. Sounds like Shanny is going to have a good run. Everyone respects him, he's making it transparent, and I doubt his suspensions will be made totally on a whim like Campbell's were.

Definitely a thankless job but I like what Shanny is bringing to it already. Transparency and reaching the decision by committee are such good ideas it's surprising they weren't implemented earlier.

Well, I guess not surprising given it was Campbell in charge, but still, great ideas.

And because of his career as a power forward, it's not like people can complain about decisions being made by a guy who will do whatever Bettman wants or thinks fighting should be out of the game.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

It is refreshing to see that he lays out his good intentions at the outset. Will he set the bar higher for what is expected of this position? Only time will tell. It will be even better if he can sweep aside the "ownership lobbying" that still goes on; efforts made by team officials, that have no business being made, to try to lessen punishment handed out or handing out punishment that isn't in the first place.

Guest Shoreline

My expectations and standards are pretty low, but hopefully he can restore some dignity to NHL enforcement of it's rules.

Edited by Shoreline

First, this disclaimer: I absolutely, positively dispise the author of this article, due to his lame response to a very insensitive article he wrote. However, from Toronto Star:

Not only has Sheriff Shanny been reduced to the proverbial traffic cop handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500, at times it has seemed like there’s no sheriff overseeing the chaos at all. The NHL’s “Department of Player Safety,” created to give Shanahan a grandiose title and business card, now sounds rather silly.

He’s a nice man, a well-meaning man. But he’s been neutered and now discredited.

It is too late now.

First, this disclaimer: I absolutely, positively dispise the author of this article, due to his lame response to a very insensitive article he wrote. However, from Toronto Star:

It is too late now.

Completely agree. I think the league went out and found the best guy they could - a guy that probably should have been commissioner, not some lacky under the Bettman administration - and he has been completely neutered by the bureaucracy of the current system. He started strong in the pre-season, October, and November, but has since been unwilling/unable to break the NHL's unwritten rules governing exactly which players (not which acts) are suspendable.

Shanny helped save the game during the lockout, had an amazing NHL career playing with heart and integrity, and its all washed away in one season as the NHL sheriff deputy. I knew there would be some level of disappointment, given what the job calls for, but Shanahan has failed.

Since the Weber leniency, watch any game, there are at least 1 or 2 offenses that would have been reviewed less than a month ago. Its utter chaos. A circus, with Bettman and Campbell still the ringleaders, and Shanahan as the carnival-barker and/or guy-who-puts-his-head-in-the-lions-mouth.

Shanny's suffered the same fate as probably many an optimistic politician, a la "I'm gonna go to Washington and make a difference!" only to find out that the puppetmasters (Bettman and Campbell, in this case) are still the ones running the whole show. It's a shame because Shanny's was one of my favorite players as long as I can remember. Bettman and Campbell have made him look incompetent through their own incompetence.

At the time of his hiring, the first thought that came to mind was this: the League must think this is quite a coup, since he seemed to be right near the top of the NHLPA (not the first, nor the last time this happened, i.e. Rob Blake). Bettman's Gang seems to be more interested in torturing it's employees than turning around and pretending it does things "in the best interest of our fans". The way things have gone lately, maybe Shanahan is having second thoughts about his latest employment decision.

Just read some excerpts from Puck Daddy, didn't listen to the audio but epic failure on Shanny's part OR the system is still corrupt and Bettman/Campbell just tried to put a new face to the old boys club. The playoffs really exposed it. The only satisfying thing is that their poster team Pittsburgh Penguins is spiraling down the toilet. Shanny's explanation on the discipline handed out so far is so terribly inconsistent. This year's playoffs will be known as the one that Shanny/the Dept of Player Safety lost it.

Exactly. The problem with Campbell wasn't so much the actual decisions, it was the rampant inconsistency and lack of any explanation or follow through that was the problem.

This and the fact that he had known and publicized biases towards individual players, and that fact that (at least it seemed based on what information was given) that he alone made the decisions.

I think discipline by committee is a huge step forward and more closely resembles an actual judicial system.

I wish him the best of luck, it is certainly a pretty thankless job.

Agreed. Campbell never communicated anything, far as I'm concerned. He just figured he was right and that was all that needed to be said. Or at least that's how it looked. I like the direction Shanny is taking and I really appreciate the fact that he's communicating.