• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Anyone else a little excited

Rate this topic

The wings finally have a defenseman who can do this

and than follow it up with this if need be

if Commodore can find his form again and become even a solid number 6 that can play a regular shift, the wings might have found a decent light heavyweight scrapper who can play a bit. I'm hoping he rubs off on guys like Ericcson and Abdelkader who know a 6'5, mean Canadian has their back that is willing to fight if he has too. It will probably help the team as a whole play a little more physical and gives the wings another defenseman who will force opponents to keep their head up.

A defenseman who can time travel to five years ago when he was 26 years old and bring that current form to today?

Yes sir! I've been waiting too!

well than how about this one

youre probaly one of those guys super excited about Brunnstrom because hes skilled but dont think Commodore can return to number 3 defenseman on a cup team form :rolleyes:

I'll be more excited when we get another player that can do this.

Well of course GMR but top 5 heavies all time with the deadliest right hand of all time dont just fall into a team like Detroits lap. Gotta take what you can get sometimes lol and right nwo having a willing guy is as good as it gets

Guest 13GoWings40

I've been excited about this since I heard about the signing. I think Commie and Ericsson will make a great bottom pair (hopefully E picks up a thing or two about the physical side of the game). Assuming Kindl is the 7th D, everyone in the top 6 except Lids (and E if he can't learn) can lay some decent hits from time to time. I'm really looking forward to watching a defense that can bring that physical element I feel we've been lacking.

god kocur threw some absolute hammers.

i remember him breaking somebody's helmet in half with a punch.

just brutal - knuckles like ground chuck.

we already have a couple of defensemen that are more than capable of doing this.

I've been excited about this since I heard about the signing. I think Commie and Ericsson will make a great bottom pair (hopefully E picks up a thing or two about the physical side of the game). Assuming Kindl is the 7th D, everyone in the top 6 except Lids (and E if he can't learn) can lay some decent hits from time to time. I'm really looking forward to watching a defense that can bring that physical element I feel we've been lacking.

not to rain on the Ericsson parade, but people have been hopeful of him turning into a big mean defenseman since Grand Rapids -- i just dont see it happening. A more realistic expectation of him, i think, would be for to him to just play in our own zone more soundly, make the simple plays, and go from there. Sure, it is certainly possible that the Red Wings can tap some of his unused skills, perhaps on the 2nd PP since one of the years in the AHL he won the hardest shot competition during their all star game, and i think we all would love to see him actually play his size, but to me, thats just wishful thinking. You cant just teach someone to play rough, you either have it or you dont.

Guest 13GoWings40

not to rain on the Ericsson parade, but people have been hopeful of him turning into a big mean defenseman since Grand Rapids -- i just dont see it happening. A more realistic expectation of him, i think, would be for to him to just play in our own zone more soundly, make the simple plays, and go from there. Sure, it is certainly possible that the Red Wings can tap some of his unused skills, perhaps on the 2nd PP since one of the years in the AHL he won the hardest shot competition during their all star game, and i think we all would love to see him actually play his size, but to me, thats just wishful thinking. You cant just teach someone to play rough, you either have it or you dont.

I think it's too early to rule out him learning to play with more of an edge. I know he'll never be a Pronger or a Stevens, but he has shown glimpses of having toughness:

And we especially need more of this type of physicality, the Wings have had issues clearing the front of the net in recent years

Edited by 13GoWings40

If Ericsson could just be a solid 4-5 defenceman I would be happy with that. I just dont see him ever being anything more. Over 3 mill a year is insanity for him. Hopefully Kenny sees something in him that I don't! On the other hand I'm excited to see what Kronwall can do with his added responsibility now that Raffy is gone...

I think it's too early to rule out him learning to play with more of an edge. I know he'll never be a Pronger or a Stevens, but he has shown glimpses of having toughness:

And we especially need more of this type of physicality, the Wings have had issues clearing the front of the net in recent years

In the playoffs, the first round especially, I think Ericsson stepped up the physical play. But its like he forgets how big he is and constantly needs reminding to hit guys. He just doesn't have that natural instinct to want to put someone through the glass.

It's hard to keep all Joey's knockout fights straight but I'm almost certain I was at that game. Probert was the better overall fighter, but Kocur was a friggin madman, taking punches to the face until he could crush you with his right hand.

How many Games do you think kocur gets for the late punch now days? I say 3 and a small fine....If I didn't love the game so much I'd hate it.

I don't know if he would've for that particular fight, but he did make a habit of taking swings on the way down. He probably would've caught a suspension for it eventually.

Remember he also did this:

So, he just needs to play smart.

Yeah he made a goof of himself on that play but you can also look at it as a guy who was on a bad team and was trying to spark them by throwing a huge hit and taking a guys head off.

If he connects on that its lights out

How many Games do you think kocur gets for the late punch now days? I say 3 and a small fine....If I didn't love the game so much I'd hate it.

Probably none. There doesn't seem to be much precedent for fining people for late punches (maybe my recent memory is off). It was a heat of the moment thing as well.

As for Ericsson, he's shown that he can hold his own in fights against good fighters (like Clowe) but he doesn't fight consistently. He hardly ever throws a bodycheck or clears anyone from the crease. He's just a lighter, better looking version of Uwe Krupp.

man, i want ericsson to play more physical than he has as well, but those two examples are so lame (not blaming you, just jonathan).

he had to hit the first guy because he was in the way, and then he just nudges a guy 5 inches shorter than him to the ice.

i want to see some more nastiness around the crease.

we already have a couple of defensemen that are more than capable of doing this.

Beat me to it. But yeah agree with the second point and video of OP, but not the first. Last time I saw, we already had a guy who did all that...

...not to mention a pretty decent back-up...

That being said do hope Commie can have a good stint on that bottom line. Bring something that Salei didn't last year (who for the record, I don't think was too bad as a shutdown defenceman)

Guest 13GoWings40

man, i want ericsson to play more physical than he has as well, but those two examples are so lame (not blaming you, just jonathan).

he had to hit the first guy because he was in the way, and then he just nudges a guy 5 inches shorter than him to the ice.

i want to see some more nastiness around the crease.

First off, sorry to the OP, I was not trying to hijack this into an Ericsson thread

The examples are a little weak for sure, I was just trying to make the point that if he can make things like this a little more common, he offers a much more physical bottom pair option than someone like kindl, lebda, or most of the AHL call-ups we've made over the last couple seasons. That, combined with the additions of Commodore and White should make this years D more physical than any we've had over the past few seasons. For example, which group looks more physically intimidating,

This year

Kronwall-Stuart

Lidstrom-White

Ericsson-Commodore

or the 08 playoff group (since I can remember it off the top of my head)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Lilja

In that first group the only person I (as an opposing player) know will not hit me with any force is Lids, whereas in 08 I would pretty much know I didn't have to worry about Lids, Rafalski, or Lebda. That's a big difference over a 60 minute game.

Beat me to it. But yeah agree with the second point and video of OP, but not the first. Last time I saw, we already had a guy who did all that...

...not to mention a pretty decent back-up...

That being said do hope Commie can have a good stint on that bottom line. Bring something that Salei didn't last year (who for the record, I don't think was too bad as a shutdown defenceman)

Well yeah we've got probably the hardest hitting d pairing in the league but that wasnt the point. The point was that neither of them will really defend their goalie or teammates.

I mean I love Kronwall but do you think if Commdore is standing there while Crosby tries fighting Howard that he would sit by and watch? Thats the element Commodore has

All Ericsson discussion aside, Commy could be a great bargain. As someone said earlier in the thread in reference to when he tried to throw a huge hit and flipped over into the Wings bench, how he probably was trying to do to much on a really bad Columbus team, i think thats a great point. Having Commodore in a 3rd pairing position where he can be the tough presence that ive been hoping the Wings would get for a few years now.

Well yeah we've got probably the hardest hitting d pairing in the league but that wasnt the point. The point was that neither of them will really defend their goalie or teammates.

I mean I love Kronwall but do you think if Commdore is standing there while Crosby tries fighting Howard that he would sit by and watch? Thats the element Commodore has

Yeah that is true, Abdelkader sometimes stands up for teammates, like Lilja used to do sometimes, but agree its not often enough. Having said that, I think you'll find the Pens need someone to stop Howie fighting Crosby! :P