• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ally

Away Games

Rate this topic

Hey everyone, I'm from a little town in BC and I'm a huge wings fan but getting to a wings game is really difficult for me. Getting to JLA would be a 6 hour flight and way more money than I have...However, I have a friend that is a diehard Canucks fan (nearly everyone in my city was this year) and we're going to catch the Wings play the Nucks in December. Has anybody been to a wings game in Vancouver? I just want to know how much trouble their fans are going to give me lol

Where else have you seen them play?

What is the atmosphere like when you're cheering for the visiting team?

Thanks!

:octo:

Outside of JLA I've only seen the Wings play at Nationwide. I've seen them in Columbus, probably about 15 times and it's always packed with Wings fans.

Going to the bar that is right in front of Nationwide before a game when the Wings are in town is to step into a red and white party. And there's always a huge roar for anything the Wings do, and usually several "Let's Go Red Wings" chants.

The only other NHL arena I've been to for a game was MCI/Verizon Center several years back when the Caps played the Habs. It was Ovechkin's rookie or second season, and the place was empty and bored. The bandwagon has filled quite nicely since though.

Guest Crymson

I live in Denver. The atmosphere in the Pepsi Center is generally garbage. When the Wings come to town, those of us wearing red make far more noise per capita than do the Avalanche fans.

Only time I get to see the Wings in at the Fleet, err uhm TD Banknorth, err um TD Garden in Boston.

Different trips each time.

First time was cool in a very expensive section (gifts not trying to flaunt anything, I would have had to sell my kidneys for these), no one around us knew squat about hockey, I am not sure the girls behind us knew what they were doing, nevermind talk hockey. What I am trying to say is they were high. Leaving the game that the B's won in OT, Lids stick broke at the offensive blue line, 2 on 1 goal, the game was normal, Wings suck chant at the beer stands and in the stair ways.

Next time was alright, ended up with great seats as the place was half empty, Wings smoked them, owned the whole game. No one said s*** in the stairs on the way out.

The third time was the best experience, my buddy and I paid for or own seats some where in the middle of the place, our worst seats price wise, notice the ones we paid for were the cheapest. B's won a close game. Sat amongst the families, this little kid was razzing us, in a good way, the whole game. The dad actually bought us beers he thought it was bothering us, but we were just hamming it up for the kid.

Then the standard wings suck on our way out the door.

A fickle beast boston sports arenas. When their teams are good they are tolerable, when they are bad we suck! (Pats, Cs, Sox Fan)

Overall always worth it to see the Wings, but even when I go to C's game, I have a hard time liking the crowd.

I've seen the Wings play at Vancouver many times. The fans are great there, but they will give you a ton of s***, depending on the situation. Roughest memory I have is 2002 playoff series, I took a lot of verbal abuse & wondered several times if it would get physical. If you're going for a regular season game, I can't imagine it being anything like that. I'm guessing you'll have a great time, its an awesome arena & location.

I live in Chicago, and have a partial season package that usually includes 1 or 2 Wings games.

The United Center is a fun place to watch hockey. I'm sure it would be wonderful if I was actually a Hawks fan... but I'm not at all. So I have that kind of "cynical-******* syndrome" whenever I'm there.

Its loud, though, and there's a lot of parking.

Anaheim's not bad. Honda Center's a nice place, and the people aren't too rowdy. Lots of Wings fans! In fact, last time I went, we beat the Ducks 4-0, and it was pretty much all Wings fans by the end...you would've thought it was a home game. It's less fun when we lose, but nobody's been overly unsporting about it (only a little, hehe). It's a big enough rivalry that it makes games against them more fun than, say, playing Florida or something, but it's not so much of a hate-fest that we're all trying to shank each other in the stands. The cheap seats definitely aren't as good as the ones at JLA because of the suite situation and all, but since I only go once or twice a year, I usually get lower bowl ones anyway.

This year I think I'm going to try out Staples Center. I went there for the Draft last year - that was the first time I'd ever been (Lakers who?). It's definitely a nice facility...no complaints there! I didn't really sit in the stands that much, so I don't have the full scoop on that yet. I've liked all the Kings fans I've met so far, so I hope it'll be a friendly enough crowd. (Side note: I love how on the Wikipedia page there's a caption below a picture of it that reads, "Staples Center before a Clippers game," and the stands are completely empty in the pic...kinda says it all.)

I usually go to both games in Vancouver every year (since I live so close). It ain't bad unless you start s***. Lower bowl is never an issue but you'll catch some verbal shots if you're in the upper bowl. If the Wings win/are winning the Canucks fans won't say anything but if the Canucks are winning/win then they will start yapping. Just calmly remind them about your championships and keep it moving......

I went to the Mellon center to see the Wings play the Penguins and I have been to the arena in Scottsdale and I must tell you that even though both teams were bottom dwellers at the time. The fans were far better in PHX.

There was less than 2k worth of people for the Penguins game, and at least a fourth of them were Wings fans.

In PHX the building was near capacity and about half were Wings fans.

Just saying that Pit was a horrible experience. Even though they sucked, they fans were still arrogant, rude, and obnoxious. PHX there was none of that. PHX also had a good arena, where Pit did not.

Maybe they should look to relocate the Penguins. Or at least give the yotes a couple of surefire first overall picks before closing shop on them. You rigged it for the Pens...

I've been to the Shark tank many times over the years, and have never had a bad experience with their fans. Of course, you always suffer a few verbal jabs for wearing red and white, but it's all in good fun. Aside from the token "know it alls" who love to shout orders to the players (brilliant insights such as "shoot the puck!"), Sharks fans are more knowledgeable than I would've guessed and typically pretty well behaved. The Bay Area is full of transplants, so no matter who the Sharks are playing, the opposition always has a good turnout as well... probably one of the main reasons the locals are friendly toward fans of other teams.

The facility itself is pretty nice, too, and parking is never an issue. My only complaint about going there is the commute from the city itself, and even that's a minor nit.

My best experience ever there (I think I've posted this before, but oh well) was sitting next to Patrick Marleau's (then-to-be) father in law the night he scored his first career hat trick. He was great guy and we'd been chatting throughout the game, so when I saw he had no hat to throw, I gave him my tigers cap. He said he'd replace it and took down my address, and I thought that was the end of it. A month or so later a package arrived containing a fitted Sharks cap autographed "To Dan, all the best, Patrick Marleau #12"

I went to a game in phoenix. that complex they have with all the bars right outside the rink is tight. lots of wings fan too. I nearly went to jail that night after gettin s*** faced on tequila at margaritaville. my grandma was not impressed.

Have been to two Red Wings games at the United Center (Chicago). We're trying to make it a tradition to go the the Wings @ Chi games every year around Christmas/New Years. Both times we got harassed greatly by every drunk and sober fan wearing a Black hawks jersey. We don't really ask for it, although you are a target when you wear the winged wheel. The first time we went, the wings got shut out and the 2nd time we lost something like 3-1. Finding a cab after the game was sort of difficult while cars drove by and shouted, "wings suck!" In all honesty though, if you can handle a little bit of harassment and dish some back, then you'll have an awesome time. (Keep in mind that we are about 6-8 guys all around 19-24 and the people shouting at us are around the same age) (Also, it wasn't playful, a few altercations could've transpired into fights) But enjoy if you ever go there, it's a really memorable time as there are a lot of other Wings fans around.

I have been to St. Louis, Boston, Detroit, and Chicago. The United Center in Chicago also known as, "Joe Louis West," was a better place to go before the Hawks were winning. Now there are a ton of bandwagon ******* fans that are hanging out there. But of all those places to go for away games I would pick the Garden in Boston.

Outside of JLA I've only seen the Wings play at Nationwide. I've seen them in Columbus, probably about 15 times and it's always packed with Wings fans.

Going to the bar that is right in front of Nationwide before a game when the Wings are in town is to step into a red and white party. And there's always a huge roar for anything the Wings do, and usually several "Let's Go Red Wings" chants.

The only other NHL arena I've been to for a game was MCI/Verizon Center several years back when the Caps played the Habs. It was Ovechkin's rookie or second season, and the place was empty and bored. The bandwagon has filled quite nicely since though.

I've seen the Wings at Nationwide a few times too. I've never been given much trouble, maybe a few verbal jabs, but there are usually a lot of Wings fans at the games. I did witness a Wings fan 'get in to it' with a CBJ fan last year, but both were extremely intoxicated. R-Bar (assuming that's the bar you usually go to) is a great place to go before a game- when the Wings were in town it was probably 50/50 Wings and CBJ fans. Just be sure not to use the urinal with the Wings logo in it.

Usually, you won't experience more than a few verbal jabs rooting for the away team. If you don't get belligerent, ridiculous, obnoxious, etc. you likely won't have much trouble. Just watch out for the belligerent, ridiculous, obnoxious, etc. fans from the other team.

Guest 13GoWings40

The only away game I've ever been to was also in Columbus back in 2007. The arena itself is awesome, and the Wings fans far outnumbered CBJ fans so the atmosphere was great. I just walked right up to the ticket office at game time and bought lower bowl seats. We lost that game 3-1 if i remember correctly and still no one really hassled us except for this one drunk guy in the parking garage. I've cleaned his words up a bit but basically he yelled "Wings suck!" to which I replied "Yeah, well see you in april when the playoffs start." The guy then said he didn't care about the playoffs and I just laughed and said "And believe me, your team shows it." The whole experience was more amusing than anything else, especially since you could tell the guy really thought he was telling me off in his inebriated world.

Overall my experience in Columbus was great and I would definitely recommend trying to catch a game there to anyone who gets a chance.

Only other arena that I have ever been to besides the Joe is the Honda Center (the Pond at the time). That was around 97-98 and that's where I saw my first NHL game (Sabres VS Ducks) and my first Wings game. At that time it was nearly impossible to get a ticket @ the Joe.

I live in Victoria BC and usually make it to both Wings game every year in Vancouver. Fans aren't bad, occasionally when the Canucks win you can take a lot of s*** on the way back to the hotel. It's a nice arena though and most of the time win or lose the games vs Vancouver are pretty exciting.

I went to the Pepsi Center when I lived in WY and the Wings faced off against the Avs. Nice stadium and I got into a conversation with a lady about what was going on around the league, very knowledgeable she was. Also got into it with a few non-friendly Avs fans after the Wings lost but a quick comment about the Avs not getting into the playoffs shut them up.

I've only been to the United Center. Expect mostly assholes and a few people who know there stuff. The good thing about hawks fans is secretly alot of the realize they are bandwagoners and will shut up and sit in their seats if you start talking hockey. They really have a ritzy intro too.

i've been to the joe only a few times while growing up in michigan. too expensive (for me) and a bit of a drive.

i was lucky enough to see the maple leafs play in the old maple leaf garden and that was an experience for sure - probably the best.

i saw the wings play chicago in chicago's new stadium and wasn't impressed with the building, but the atmosphere was rocking of course.

i've gone to many games at the RBC center in raleigh, which is about 30 miles from where i live now. the fans are actually quite knowledgeable of the game (many northern transplants, of course) and they can get into it. the last game i saw there was against the wings and i had seats 2 back from the wings bench. the faithful were out in full force and we dominated the atmosphere in that game, though we did lose. fun as hell and oh hai, there's me on the left with the camera..

5597320426_282d528b61.jpg