• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

So does Chris Conner make this team?

Rate this topic

Does anyone else find it a little odd that Conner is on a one way deal?

His speed is very high end and he is a great grinder/energy type.

The wings have needed team speed for a while and now they finally have it with Helm and Mursak, but does Holland perhaps see what Helms speed does for drawing penalties and creating energy?

Are they looking to get faster for bigger, slower teams like the sharks come playoff time.

A line of Mursak Helm Conner could be scray for other teams to play against.

Looking at the lineup I just dont see how all these people can make the team. The only logical thing I can see happening is a trade coming because of the cap space and the large amount of forwards.

Conner Emmerton and Brunnstrom will be in a dog fight for the 14th forward spot.

Even if it is one way he still can be sent down, his salary just wont change. all a 2 way deal means is that that their salary changes is their sent down.

I'm sure newfy knows that. It's just that one-way deals usually aren't offered to depth players who fight for the last roster spots. Conner having a one-way deal makes it sound like he's been assured a roster spot.

Him having a two-way deal makes much more sense. I just hope that Wings won't lose anyone in the waivers this year.

It could be a one way deal so that he wouldn't get picked up by another team? No one wants to pay an NHL salary in the AHL. Unlikely idk.

Nah I just misread something, he is in fact on a 2 way but he still has NHL experience and provides an element the wings do not have a tonne of.

all this competition is great to have even if we lose him on waiver, you know guys like emmerton are seeing the signings of guys like Brunnstrom and conner, and working their ass off during the offseason and in training camp, and if they clear waivers knowing that their in the AHL ready 2 take their spot! :thumbup:

The Wings have 9 great guys for the bottom 6, but only 5 players that are legit top 6 guys. Conner won't make the team, he will be in GR this season mentoring the young guys.

eh we've already got a very accomplished penalty shot failer in patty eaves.

we'd have to give emmerton to the lightning in order for this to happen, right? i suppose it's not impossible if he impresses the staff more than cory in training camp. he does seem to play the style of game that babpenis likes.

i don't think it can be ruled out as the staff really do what they preach when they say they'll take the best players out of camp.

all this competition is great to have even if we lose him on waiver, you know guys like emmerton are seeing the signings of guys like Brunnstrom and conner, and working their ass off during the offseason and in training camp, and if they clear waivers knowing that their in the AHL ready 2 take their spot! :thumbup:

This is exactly how I feel.

It creates competition between Emmerton, Brunnstrom and Connor, as well as putting some pressure on guys like Miller, Abby, even Hudler to really work hard to impress the staff.

This is exactly how I feel.

It creates competition between Emmerton, Brunnstrom and Connor, as well as putting some pressure on guys like Miller, Abby, even Hudler to really work hard to impress the staff.

I do definitely agree with that in a way. I dont necessarily think there is more than a remote chance that someone like Connor, Brunnstrom or Emmerton would take a roster spot from Miller, Abdelkader or Hudler. It's just too risky for the Wings to do that because say for example Emmerton made the roster as the 14th forward but Brunnstrom beat out Miller. The Wings would be banking on someone picking him up on waivers before the season started. Now that he has a two year deal in place there's no guarentee. The Wings would drop him to GR and essentially wouldn't be able to call him up if they wanted to because he'd have to go through re-entry waivers and if he was claimed the Wings would be on the hook for half the cost. I don't believe the WIngs are as free spending as they once were (meaning they don't want to waste money). This situation makes it even more dicey for Hudler to be beat out of a spot.

The Wings would easily start the year with Hudler or Miller on the roster, in the above example, and look to move them before calling up Brunnstrom.

Also, zero chance Abdelkader loses a spot.

much more hustle, speed, checking, etc than anyone of those guys. when pens played wings this past year conner was the only one that caught my eye, he was the best player on the ice for pens. cant say the same for abby or emmerton or miller on ANY night and they roughly get same ice time.

much more hustle, speed, checking, etc than anyone of those guys. when pens played wings this past year conner was the only one that caught my eye, he was the best player on the ice for pens. cant say the same for abby or emmerton or miller on ANY night and they roughly get same ice time.

If your analysis is correct, why didn't the Pens keep him or why wasn't he offered a contract ona team that could garuntee him a roster spot? He is faster than Abby, but I can't agree that Conner is/was a better overall player. You mention hitting, but Abby is one of the Wings' top hitters (and is easily above average compared league wide).

Edit- Did you only watch him in that one game? Speed will certainly make a player more noticeable, but it is just one skill. Rob Schremp has a great highlight reel and can impress anyone, but slick stickhandling only got him so far before his other weaknesses were exposed.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Me personally I'd rather see Conner and Brunnstrom get some shifts early on the Wings roster that way the coaching staff can see who is the better player and who can have a chance at contending for a spot on this team. I still believe that Emmerton and Mursak should be main-stayers on the Wings roster since they've been with the organization for the longest and payed their dues in GR, however if they can maybe get a rotation going with some of the guys I wouldn't mind seeing that as long as we remember that the Wings still need to develop from within our own system. I don't mind seeing the Wings bring in some new fresh legs and new players but we can't forget our guys in GR.

If your analysis is correct, why didn't the Pens keep him or why wasn't he offered a contract ona team that could garuntee him a roster spot? He is faster than Abby, but I can't agree that Conner is/was a better overall player. You mention hitting, but Abby is one of the Wings' top hitters (and is easily above average compared league wide).

Edit- Did you only watch him in that one game? Speed will certainly make a player more noticeable, but it is just one skill. Rob Schremp has a great highlight reel and can impress anyone, but slick stickhandling only got him so far before his other weaknesses were exposed.

Not a fan of Abby up to this point at all.. don't even wanna get into his "hitting" stats. Babs loves the kid I think most Wings fans have yet to figure out why (like me). Maybe I will grow to like him more this upcoming year as we all know he will be playing 15min+ a night.

Not a fan of Abby up to this point at all.. don't even wanna get into his "hitting" stats. Babs loves the kid I think most Wings fans have yet to figure out why (like me). Maybe I will grow to like him more this upcoming year as we all know he will be playing 15min+ a night.

Why would his hitting stats be skewed? He's one of the Wings' biggest hitters. Babs probably likes his work ethic, physical play, offensive potential, etc. On a team starved of 'grit', I'm not sure how you can be against him on the team.

Why would his hitting stats be skewed? He's one of the Wings' biggest hitters. Babs probably likes his work ethic, physical play, offensive potential, etc. On a team starved of 'grit', I'm not sure how you can be against him on the team.

abby has potential physically that has yet to be unlocked, as well as offensively that he has shown flashes of.

Edited by wings1110

maybe the guy doing the hits stat is his cousin lol .. watch Conner play you'll fall in love with him after 2 shifts never mind Abby.