• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

Your Favorite Wings Lines Ever

Rate this topic

So what is your favorite line in your time of watching the Wings? Here are some of mine:

1. Shanahan - Fedorov - Yzerman

Awesome line with future Hall of Famers and 3 of my favorite Wings players. It worked a lot better in 2002 than it did in the 2003 playoffs, but it was comforting knowing we had a line with that kind of star power, which could scare the hell out of opposing fans.

2. Maltby - Draper - McCarty

I had a hard time not putting the "Grind Line" number one. Kocur played on that line as well, but this version with McCarty is the one people remember best. I hope we see a line again which brings that kind of excitement to fans at the JLA.

3. Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Hull

Although Pavel and Hank became better players later in their career, this line with Hull was the most fun to watch. They had countless highlight reel goals and the passing was mesmerizing to watch. Hull was always an underrated passer.

4. Kozlov - Fedorov - Larionov

The "Russian Five", as they were known together with Fetisov and Konstantinov, are as good a line as you'll ever see in terms of puck possession and skill. Fedorov and Kozlov were both in their primes in that time. They were eventually split up into other lines which won Cups, but it's hard to forget this particular group. I don't remember who played center on this line, so I could be wrong putting Fedorov there.

5. Ellis - Hussey - Langfeld

Not s***ting you here. :hehe: This line was so bad that they're actually good! They had solid chemistry from playing together in the AHL, but I remember seeing many shifts where they'd have a minute of puck possession cycling in the offensive zone, but were unable to get any shots on goal or even decent scoring chances. Maybe it's funnier in retrospect than it was at the time.

Edited by GMRwings1983

For me it will always be the Grind Line. I loved the line when Kocur was on it, and also loved the incarnation with McCarty, Draper, Malts.

In more recent times, the Z-Dats-Homer line will always have a soft spot in my heart because of 08.

And I really hope the Mursak-Helm-Eaves line becomes something special. :thumbup:

Recently its gotta be Z D H but yeah GMR cant disagree with your assessment at all.

As for another line to bring the excitement the grind line did?

I'm thinking some combo of Sheahan Abdelkader Helm Mursak and Callahan ( my dark horse goes to Julien Cayer, potential fast skating enforcer with decent skills) will provide that and the talent level will be there as well.

1) I think a line of Mursak Helm Callahan could become REALLY fun to watch in the near future. 3 physical guys, all potential solid offensive players, all hit and 2 will be near the top of the league speed wise. The forecheck from that line would be a nightmare. Mursak is no softy either

2) Callahan Sheahan Abdelkader could be fun to watch as well. 3 of the more physical guys in our system, a great shut down defensive guy and all 3 have potential to get involved in the extra cirriculars that me and you both love gmr. With Callahan leading the way, Abdelkader is a solid guy to have his back, Sheahan is big and strong, physical, and has said he will be the type of guy to stick up for teammates when he has too. This could be a big, huge physical line that wears down other teams defenses and plays cut throat defense

3) Julien Cayer is a HUGE forward at 6'4 and is one of the better skaters in the system. He doesnt have rocks for hands but he doesnt put up a lot of points. He could maybe get a contract and come up as an enforcer type since he has the speed to skate with the team and hands to recieve and give a pass. Could be fun to watch a guy with his speed, mean streak and hitting ability in the wings lineup. Could really do some damage and if paired with a couple other fast/physical guy slike mentioned before, he could be the kocur/mcarty of one of the lines. An enforcer who can play well enough to play regularly

So what is your favorite line in your time of watching the Wings? Here are some of mine:

Awesome line with future Hall of Famers and 3 of my favorite Wings players. It worked a lot better in 2002 than it did in the 2003 playoffs, but it was comforting knowing we had a line with that kind of star power, which could scare the hell out of opposing fans.

Probably my favorite of modern era. Also, an honorable mention to the 600 club that had Yzeman, Robitaille, and Hull.

Edited by CenterIce

Todd Bertuzzi-Robert Lang-Dan Cleary

Yes it's funny, but they were great whenever they were together in the 07 playoffs :ph34r::hehe:

Also who could forget Deveraux-Datsyuk-Hull :yowza:

For some reason, I actually thought of that line with Bertuzzi and Lang's lazy asses playing together. :D That line wasn't around long enough, though.

4. Kozlov - Fedorov - Larionov

I don't remember who played center on this line, so I could be wrong putting Fedorov there.

I'm quite sure Larionov always played center when he was with Wings. Fedorov played wing on this line as he was very versatile.

The infamous "Two Kids and a Goat" line. Pasha and Boyd Devereaux feeding Hullie and just killing the opposition. They may have been a third or fourth-tier line, but damn, they could do some serious damage when they wanted to.

yeah that one. though i also liked it when they plugged mccarty in there when yzerman got hurt. that line had everything (except speed, i guess).

and of course kozlov - fedorov - larionov and the rest of the russian bunch were fun to watch.

and i've liked most 4th lines. that's the type of hockey i like to watch - physical and full throttle.

The infamous "Two Kids and a Goat" line. Pasha and Boyd Devereaux feeding Hullie and just killing the opposition. They may have been a third or fourth-tier line, but damn, they could do some serious damage when they wanted to.

Yeah, that's a line I remember liking a lot. Devereaux never looked as good as he did on this line, and Hull just got to float around and wait for someone to give home a one-timer he could bury from one knee.

Shanahan - Yzerman - Anyone would probably be my top line. My two favorite Wings forwards of all time together plus anyone, especially someone with the otherworldly skill of Fedorov; but the skill and chemistry Shanny and Stevie Y had together was great. I'll always remember Shanahan burying that empty netter in '02 and breaking Yzerman's nose celebrating.

Fedorov - (in Russian) "Go to hell Shanahan, you freak!"

Shanahan - "That means Shanahan is a good and great man! I love you too brother!"

Oh, you meant hockey lineups.

HAHAHA Nice one. For those who havent seen it.

1) Shanahan-Yzerman-________

Shanahan, Yzerman, and fill in the blank. I did like it in the late 90's when McCarty played RW sometimes on the first line. Scotty seemed to only put Fedorov with Shanny and Stevie in the playoffs. Fedorov and Kozlov seemed to work well together, so I like Feds on the 2nd line.

2) Maltby-Draper-McCarty

3) Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Guest 13GoWings40

1. Shanny-Yzerman-Feds

2. ZDH

3. Grind Line

4. Two kids and a goat (Z-D-Hull)

5. Russian five (would probably be higher except I don't have too many first-hand memories of them playing as I was only 8 when vladdy had his accident)