• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

I could have made it to the NHL!

Rate this topic

I could have made it if I had caught a few breaks along the way...I played on teams with current NHL players Crosby, Stafford, Johnson, Smaby and a few guys who have been up and down between the AHL and NHL. I was never bitter though since I did have the chance to play NCAA and did have a chance to go to Europe to play, but I decided not to due to some lingering knee and back issues.

I guess if I had to do it again I wouldn't hesitate for a second!

I never had the natural skill set of superstar, just a little better then average player on a little old house league team, with a couple all-star stints and high school teams that never developed into anything. Pair that with an average kids attitude and bingo the "Professional" hockey dream died at 16 for snowboarding.

I could have made it to the NHL if I had been a child living in Canada to a father who was a high school athlete and supported my wish at age three to be a professional goalie when I grew up.

Oh, wait, all of that was true. What stopped me?

I could have made it to the NHL had I not been a GIRL, which forced me from hockey into figure skating as girls were not allowed to play hockey in the little town in which we lived. Nor could I play in the towns to which we later moved as they had no hockey programs.

But the first few years were favourable.

Well you couldve made the NHL as a girl, its just next to impossible because of biology.

I couldve made it to the NHL if I was bigger. My style of play is favoured more when youre like 6'3 225 lbs, not 5'10 185

It was a club team before this year. Now we are a part of the ACHA, so I don't know exactly what division they would call that. We don't go out of state unless we get to a national tournament but we play MSU, U of D, Davenport, among other teams, so it's pretty cool. If I had to guess I would say it is division 3. But that is just a guess.

Too bad about your knee though. Would have been awesome to be part of their varsity program.

I played acha as well, acha is still technically club hockey but its inter collegiate so the word club carries a diff connotation than what it means for acha. Acha d1 and acha d2(top teams) would be equivalent to some d3 ncaa schools. Its very competitive and actually pretty decent hockey. I played for illinois state university in college. The michigan teams in d2 pretty much dominate the national stage.

As far was I could have made it if I had been more dedicated to fitness and getting stronger. I feel I have natural talent and mindset for low level pro, but the body was never at that level. Also if computer games hadnt taken so much of my time in my youth. Alas I got to play in college and still enjoy any time I get on the ice :)

I would have gone pro if I wouldn't have seen my girlfriends & friends partying enjoying their summers when I would come home from prospect tourneys consisting of 12 hour buss rides through Wisconson corn fields lol... I have no regrets as I wasn't EVER thinking I was going to the show but playing hockey year round became my life and I decided it was important to me to have some social life as I felt I was missing out and the drive to become an even better player became more taxing mentally and physically. So I became a college club hockey player for a year & then decided it was beer league all star :lol: It didn't help I had my right arm shattered by a blind side hit and couldn't play for 6 weeks :(

Yeah, seriously... There was a time when he could have his wife's head off for that!

Haha yeah. But today we now know that it's really Stevie who can only provide the potential Y chromosome. So Stevie's wife, really, could have had his head ( :scared: ) off for that (Yikes!) but then she wouldn't get his awesome "All I ever want to do is play hockey" genes.

Luckily, Lidstrom had all boys. Can you imagine the combination of Yzerman and Lidstrom genetics? It'd be like Brangelina but for hockey abilities instead of physical attractiveness. The kid is simply meant to make you forget all about Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby.

If my family had stayed in Chicago instead of moving to Cincinnati, where there was absolutely no interest from anyone in playing competitive hockey. Not sure I would have played as a kid anyway, but I would have had a better chance and who knows what would have resulted from getting started at an early age.

It was a club team before this year. Now we are a part of the ACHA, so I don't know exactly what division they would call that. We don't go out of state unless we get to a national tournament but we play MSU, U of D, Davenport, among other teams, so it's pretty cool. If I had to guess I would say it is division 3. But that is just a guess.

Too bad about your knee though. Would have been awesome to be part of their varsity program.

ACHA is club.

Haha yeah. But today we now know that it's really Stevie who can only provide the potential Y chromosome. So Stevie's wife, really, could have had his head ( :scared: ) off for that (Yikes!) but then she wouldn't get his awesome "All I ever want to do is play hockey" genes.

Luckily, Lidstrom had all boys. Can you imagine the combination of Yzerman and Lidstrom genetics? It'd be like Brangelina but for hockey abilities instead of physical attractiveness. The kid is simply meant to make you forget all about Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby.

So the Yzerman daughters somehow need to breed with the Lidstrom sons. Luckily there are many ways to facilitate this.

I am also interested in a Gretzky's son and Probert's daughter union.

Edited by egroen

But apparently being top scorer and consistent MVP for the Grand Rapids Griffins in a loyal 4 year career and over 200 games of nothing but giving 110% wasn't enough for renowned for "loyalty" Ken Holland to reward me with just one measly call up. Not even as a black ace.

Sorry, thought I was Jamie Tardif for a second.

Hmm, might have to go see that game when you guys come to town now, I go to Saginaw Valley

I believe we play Saginaw Valley at the start of the season.

ACHA is club.

Well we don't consider it club so nya. :P

I do understand that I cannot really call it a "varsity" sport like you would the top clubs in the US, but internally it makes some sense.

Edited by Doc Holliday

I believe we play Saginaw Valley at the start of the season.

Well we don't consider it club so nya. :P

I do understand that I cannot really call it a "varsity" sport like you would the top clubs in the US, but internally it makes some sense.

Yea I explained it in my previous post, you can call it varsity all you want. The trouble is when you talk about club sports it has a rinky dink connotation to it. ACHA is far from this little like after school program. Its not near NCAA stuff by any means but a lot of places do really well with the club teams. The reason why people stray away from using the word club is because most people will assume to many things that the word brings along with it. Wings1110 wants to be technical, then yes its club. But there are definite shades of grey with using club and acha. Just saying.

I blame my parents.

I didn't start really following hockey until I was 11, and didn't start skating until shortly after that.

Thanks Mom, you go get me baptized as a baby but don't put me on skates? What the hell?!

Not Canadian I'm guessing? Canadians are basically baptized on ice water with skates on :cool: