• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Report: Wade Belak found dead in home

Rate this topic

medicinal marijuana could help a lot of these guys out, wayyyyy better for you that pain killers, you cant overdose, and it can help with depression, along with dealing with pain. not trying to start a political argument. Im just talking from the perspective of someone who knows people that has gone through these types of things.

medicinal marijuana could help a lot of these guys out, wayyyyy better for you that pain killers, you cant overdose, and it can help with depression, along with dealing with pain. not trying to start a political argument. Im just talking from the perspective of someone who knows people that has gone through these types of things.

I like the way you think. :D

esteef

Guest Shoreline

Evidently Belak hung himself. Can't even imagine what would compel him to do that.

I think its a little premature to conclude that these deaths are the result of mental illnesses caused by repeated blows to the head, and fighting should be removed. There are plenty of enforcers from the 80s and 90s that retired and haven't had any major issues. Sure, getting punched in the head constantly won't improve your health, but its the job enforcers accept. Someone else made an interesting point saying that teams in today's NHL typically have only 1 or 2 designated scrappers to handle most of the rough stuff, as opposed to the 80s and 90s, where fighting was more prevelant, and more players fought, lessening the "workload" for each other, in essence.

My thoughts exactly.

What the f*** is happeneing lately? Its like there is some kind of curse on enforcers...

I really hope these are just rare cases happening in a short period of time. The enforcer core definitely took a hit this summer :(

Reading a recent interview with Brad May about the anxiousness & depression he felt going into a game with Minny where he knew he would have to fight Boogaard really makes me wonder if that emotional rollercoaster isn't doing more damage to players in the enforcer role than the fights themselves.

Thoughts & prayers going out to the Belak family...

this makes you think that maybe this is why Probert was high on coke or drinking before every game....

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the Red Wings' turn to suffer a tragic death in the off-season. This is just unreal. All of them have been suicides or somehow self-induced (drugs/alcohol).....it's turning creepy.

Enough with the dying already. These people are my frickin' age, and it's scaring me to death.

Sorry, let me clarify. I wasn't in any way implying Belak was lying about having a concussion or PCS. But he's been in the league since 1998. Any real awareness and talk about concussions has only come in the last few seasons. I'm betting sometime in his NHL career he probably got a concussion, but may not have been diagnosed. He just got his "bell rung."

And the second paragraph I also wasn't talking about Belak specifically, but just what has seemed to be happening with enforcers lately. That it's likely some combination of some or all of those factors.

I remember reading an interview with Ryan VandenBussche where he said that he played with concussions, because he was afraid to admit to his coaches and teammates that he had them. Basically, he hid his condition.

That kind of pride and level of machismo that goes with being an enforcer makes it very likely that players still play with concussions today, for fear of looking weak in front of teammates.

I think its a little premature to conclude that these deaths are the result of mental illnesses caused by repeated blows to the head, and fighting should be removed. There are plenty of enforcers from the 80s and 90s that retired and haven't had any major issues. Sure, getting punched in the head constantly won't improve your health, but its the job enforcers accept. Someone else made an interesting point saying that teams in today's NHL typically have only 1 or 2 designated scrappers to handle most of the rough stuff, as opposed to the 80s and 90s, where fighting was more prevelant, and more players fought, lessening the "workload" for each other, in essence.

I really hope these are just rare cases happening in a short period of time. The enforcer core definitely took a hit this summer :(

As I stated earlier, players are bigger and stronger now than they used to be. Not many guys were Belak's size back in the 80's or even 90's. Now every top enforcer is seemingly that big. Hence, much harder punches and more brain injuries.

This is heart-breaking. Poor man, what could have been that bad? :(

I am so sorry he didn't see a way around whatever demons drove him. I wonder if the entire "enforcer" role is such a stellar idea, after what's happened this summer?

this has been by far the worst offseason ever. What the hell is going on and sharks prospect who committed suicide back in January I believe forgive me but his name escapes me anyone know who I am thinking of?

RIP Belak, Rypien and Boogaard this is honestly getting creepy.

The Chris Benoit "effect"?

More or less.

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy

this has been by far the worst offseason ever. What the hell is going on and sharks prospect who committed suicide back in January I believe forgive me but his name escapes me anyone know who I am thinking of?

RIP Belak, Rypien and Boogaard this is honestly getting creepy.

Tom Cavanagh

Edited by MacK_Attack

His death is by far more surprising than Probert, Boogaard or Rypien.

Those other guys had problems everyone knew about, and in retrospect, their deaths were horribly tragic but not that shocking. However, Belak's death just came out of left field.

That just proves that you never know how happy or sad someone is. Just because someone appears happy doesn't mean they are. People aren't that good at judging other people and we frequently misinterpret things based on our false judgments. We see what we want to see. Maybe Belak was one of those guys everyone misjudged as being content with life. Reminds me of Steiner in "La Dolce Vita"

I just finished reading Robert B. Cialdini's Influence, and I could not help but think that the recent suicides could be attributed to the Werther effect. From Influence:

"The story of the Werther effect is both chilling and intriguing. More than two centuries ago, the great man of German literature, Johann von Goethe, published a novel entitled Die Leiden des jungen Werthers (The Sorrows of Young Werther). The book, in which the hero, named Werther, commits suicide, had a remarkable impact. Not only did it provide Goethe with immediate fame, but it also sparked a wave of emulative suicides across Europe. So powerful was this effect that authorities in several countries banned the novel.

Professor Phillips's own work has traced the Werther effect to modern times. His research has demonstrated that immediately following a front-page suicide story the suicide rate increases dra-matically in those geographical areas where the story has been highly publicized. It is Phillips's argument that certain troubled people who read of another's self-inflicted death kill themselves in imitation. In a morbid illustration of the principle of social proof, these people decide how they should act on the basis of how some other troubled person has acted."

"... the imitators should be most likely to copy the suicides of people who are similar to them. The principle of social proof states that we use information about how others have behaved to help us determine proper conduct for ourselves."

"Evidently, the principle of social proof is so wide-ranging and powerful that its domain extends to the fundamental decision for life or death. Professor Phillips's findings have persuaded me of a distressing tendency for suicide publicity to motivate certain people who are similar to the victim to kill themselves because they now find the idea of suicide more legitimate."

Very interesting (and at times, disturbing) read.

Edited by Anijuice

You never truly know someone...only what they allow you to know, and Belak was one of those guys.

Its very tragic..... he was such an animated, funny and likable guy...I feel sick that this has happened. What a terrible summer for the guys who play the best sport in the world. I hope that these incidence will allow players to get the help they need and get rid of the stigma of depression or other illnesses.

Rest in Peace Wade. You will be missed

As I stated earlier, players are bigger and stronger now than they used to be. Not many guys were Belak's size back in the 80's or even 90's. Now every top enforcer is seemingly that big. Hence, much harder punches and more brain injuries.

Agreed, the role of enforcer, and fighting in general, time has passed. Fighting should be an automatic game suspension. I've read many times the pressure enforcers face before games knowing they have to fight and the possible injuries they could face. Players shouldn't have to go through that, plus all the mental problems they have after their career's are finished.

Also, it's been said many times, hits to the head should be taken more seriously. I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand what's going on, and how easy things can be avoided by doing something as simple and civil by banning hits to the head. Either someone is going to have to die on the ice, or Don Cherry and the old generation of thinking will have to pass on for anything to change.

Agreed, the role of enforcer, and fighting in general, time has passed. Fighting should be an automatic game suspension. I've read many times the pressure enforcers face before games knowing they have to fight and the possible injuries they could face. Players shouldn't have to go through that, plus all the mental problems they have after their career's are finished.

Also, it's been said many times, hits to the head should be taken more seriously. I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand what's going on, and how easy things can be avoided by doing something as simple and civil by banning hits to the head. Either someone is going to have to die on the ice, or Don Cherry and the old generation of thinking will have to pass on for anything to change.

This is way off-topic, but how do you reach that conclusion from the recent deaths? Boogaard OD'd, while Rypien and Belak had documented mental illnesses before their suicides. There is no evidence that Rypien and Belak developed these illnesses from their role in hockey. Also, it seems Boogaard became addicted to painkillers after his recent injury, and the same painkillers are given to enforcers and playmakers.

I haven't heard any retired enforcers coming out against the role, even as a lawsuit was filled by former NFL players against the NFL for mishandling concussions.

Have you played North American hockey at a competitive level? If you have played, I have a question for you- would you rather be ran from behind or fight someone? Hockey is a physical and dangerous sport, and fighting is sometimes the safest way for two players to meet physically.