• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

He was the heavyweight champ of the NHL before he retired. Something everyone who respected him can remember him by.

RIP Champ.

Edited by uk_redwing, 31 August 2011 - 07:39 PM.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#22 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

Same reaction here. This has been a terrible off-season for hockey fans, especially those of us who followed these players closely.

I've never even heard of anything like this happening before. Unbelievable.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#23 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:46 PM

In honor of both of them!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

This is starting to remind me of pro wresting, with these guys dying all of a sudden.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

In honor of both of them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Yt3PdWif4

esteef

Can't believe that was less than two years ago :(

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#26 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

This is starting to remind me of pro wresting, with these guys dying all of a sudden.

cept pro wrestling is like the circus, not real, and is no way a sport.

#27 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

What the f*** is going on. I can't even comprehend this.

Basically what I just said when I saw this.

Jeez, another great guy gone way too soon. R.I.P. :( :(

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

cept pro wrestling is like the circus, not real, and is no way a sport.

You obviously know nothing about pro wrestling.

Wrestlers get injured more often than any other athletes. They also don't have offseasons to rest up their bodies. Concussions especially are unavoidable in the ring. Sure the action is staged, but the point is they take many injuries to the head and take a ridiculous amount of painkillers to offset their problems and aches.

Fighting isn't as common as it used to be in hockey, but guys are bigger and stronger nowadays, and getting hit in the head by these giant enforcers has to take its toll on a brain and body. Also, there's a lot of stress with this particular job over some other positions in hockey.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 31 August 2011 - 08:28 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,555 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

Same reaction here. This has been a terrible off-season for hockey fans, especially those of us who followed these players closely.

I said the same thing too.

What the f*** man?

#30 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

this is bull s***. enforcers are actually the nicest guys in the league 2. People never believe me when i say that but its true. also the hardest workers, and biggest team guys.. RIP

#31 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

Real shame.

Posted Image

#32 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

You obviously know nothing about pro wrestling.

Wrestlers get injured more often than any other athletes. They also don't have offseasons to rest up their bodies. Concussions especially are unavoidable in the ring. Sure the action is staged, but the point is they take many injuries to the head and take a ridiculous amount of painkillers to offset their problems and aches.

Fighting isn't as common as it used to be in hockey, but guys are bigger and stronger nowadays, and getting hit in the head by these giant enforcers has to take its toll on a brain and body. Also, there's a lot of stress with this particular job over some other positions in hockey.

No doubt it is a stressful job - I consider hockey fighting more 'real' than boxing - it's bare knuckles and with no matt on the floor. I'm a laid back guy but I got serious shakes before and after the real fights I have been in over the years. Sure, they get paid well for it, but I can only imagine the stress involved in keeping that up for years on end, on a per-game basis.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#33 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

No doubt it is a stressful job - I consider hockey fighting more 'real' than boxing - it's bare knuckles and with no matt on the floor. I'm a laid back guy but I got serious shakes before and after the real fights I have been in over the years. Sure, they get paid well for it, but I can only imagine the stress involved in keeping that up for years on end, on a per-game basis.

boxing is a sport. Im talking about that hulk hogan bulls***.....trashy imo

#34 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

I'm having a real hard time comprehending all this. What in the hell is going on????
Posted Image

#35 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:53 PM

If there are any t-shirts made in his honor, please post the site of where they can be purchased.

RIP Wade Belak
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#36 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

I found this article regarding Fedoruk insightful when it comes to the minds of enforcers.

Ferdoruk believes most NHL enforcers have issues off the ice. Mental things that drag them down. 

He says most enforcers are never really secure in their role or with their team and are always wondering whether they “fit.” That’s their common bond, he said.

“It seems more and more, the guys who are demon fighters are the ones who play this role,” he said. “I don’t know if this goes hand-in-hand or you have to be a little crazy to do what we do. It’s a price you pay.”

With some rewards, he says.

http://www.csnphilly...6996&feedID=704

#37 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

Says it was a suicide. It's sad to say this, but I wonder if these low-level guys who had a good run in the NHL but didn't make quite enough to retire on feel hopeless and like they have nothing else to do but end their life. Unless there is some sort of pension I'm not aware of, which there should be. But either way, haven't there been a few suicides lately?

There's been a few suicides in Baseball as well. Sad.

I found this article regarding Fedoruk insightful when it comes to the minds of enforcers.

Ferdoruk believes most NHL enforcers have issues off the ice. Mental things that drag them down. 

He says most enforcers are never really secure in their role or with their team and are always wondering whether they “fit.” That’s their common bond, he said.

“It seems more and more, the guys who are demon fighters are the ones who play this role,” he said. “I don’t know if this goes hand-in-hand or you have to be a little crazy to do what we do. It’s a price you pay.”

With some rewards, he says.

http://www.csnphilly...6996&feedID=704

Plain and simple, they need to get fighting out of the game along with head shots... We're going to see the same thing in 10 years with the UFC fighters dying of early deaths too.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#38 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Says it was a suicide. It's sad to say this, but I wonder if these low-level guys who had a good run in the NHL but didn't make quite enough to retire on feel hopeless and like they have nothing else to do but end their life. Unless there is some sort of pension I'm not aware of, which there should be. But either way, haven't there been a few suicides lately?

Yes, there is a pension for players who play more than 400 games.

Belak was going to be working as a broadcaster for the Predators and was in Toronto training for Battle of the Blades on CBC. He was one of the lucky ones who had opportunities post-hockey to make a living.

I don't think money is a factor. I think getting punched in the head hundreds of times with bare knuckles and the cumulative effect it has on the brain is more at play here, but that's just my opinion.

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

Wow - such sad news...Fond memories of him as a Maple Leaf.

A bit off topic, but I wonder if it's the "era" of hockey that might be part of the problem...In Fedoruk's article it sounds as though it just might be.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#40 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

Yes, there is a pension for players who play more than 400 games.

Belak was going to be working as a broadcaster for the Predators and was in Toronto training for Battle of the Blades on CBC. He was one of the lucky ones who had opportunities post-hockey to make a living.

I don't think money is a factor. I think getting punched in the head hundreds of times with bare knuckles and the cumulative effect it has on the brain is more at play here, but that's just my opinion.

I agree that money is likely not an issue here, not only did he have sources of income coming, he also made about $9M during his NHL career (I guess he could have blown it all though). I'm not sure about the blows to the head theory though. Wade has said on a few occassions that he has never had a concussion in his entire life.