• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

Agreed, the role of enforcer, and fighting in general, time has passed. Fighting should be an automatic game suspension. I've read many times the pressure enforcers face before games knowing they have to fight and the possible injuries they could face. Players shouldn't have to go through that, plus all the mental problems they have after their career's are finished.

Also, it's been said many times, hits to the head should be taken more seriously. I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand what's going on, and how easy things can be avoided by doing something as simple and civil by banning hits to the head. Either someone is going to have to die on the ice, or Don Cherry and the old generation of thinking will have to pass on for anything to change.

That's not where I was going with my post.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#82 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

Both his mother and TSN's Michael Landsberg, who has also battled this state, say that they have been aware of Belak's battle with it for some time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#83 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

Agreed, the role of enforcer, and fighting in general, time has passed. Fighting should be an automatic game suspension. I've read many times the pressure enforcers face before games knowing they have to fight and the possible injuries they could face. Players shouldn't have to go through that, plus all the mental problems they have after their career's are finished.

Also, it's been said many times, hits to the head should be taken more seriously. I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand what's going on, and how easy things can be avoided by doing something as simple and civil by banning hits to the head. Either someone is going to have to die on the ice, or Don Cherry and the old generation of thinking will have to pass on for anything to change.

The NFL has made rule after rule after rule after rule surrounding hits and how they can be made, and I don't see much difference at all regarding head injuries.

The NHL has begun to make rule after rule and oh look, still, head injuries are common.

While I applaud the fact that there's been significant breakthroughs and aggressive research being placed on head injuries and the results of them, at some point, one has to simply recognize that this is in fact a physically violent sport that a player opt's in to, and there are risks that are associated with it. I don't see people going into boxing, rugby, UFC, or other sports telling them they need to start banning violent acts orf****** nitpicking every which way they can hit.

The use of research surrounding injuries to the head and prevention should be used in a way of prevention that doesn't undermine how the sport of hockey has long been played. The reverting of pads, for example, I can certainly agree with. This impacts the player who's doing the hitting making it more painful for the player making the hit and logically would place more restraint on the person, as well as make the player making the hit absorb more of the damage. This still does not undermine the physical nature of the sport or flatten the role that physical play has in the sport.

I'm watching in more recent years this sort of placing sports on some fantasy, cloud-nine pedestal where you can remove the physical/violent aspect of the sport and have it a) still be the sport played at the same level of competitive nature, and b) be entertaining. If you notice I'm not much of a fighter slappy at all, and I come into quite a heavy disagreement with those who assert that we need fighters on this team, on the other hand, the physical nature is part of what makes hockey, "hockey", and what makes football, "football". This contemporary fantasy attempt at idealizing every single hit that's placed where it's perfectly away from the head, or perfectly square, or perfectly above the knees, and where the player lands on a spot that's going to be less trauma to a certain body part is only going to result in a bogged down,f****** boring ass game to watch, and it's going to send mixed messages to both people who play and watch hockey. It's quite ridiculous. Leave it alone. Banning hits to the head is not going to make hockey a safe sport. Banning fighting is not going to make hockey a safe sport. Nothing is going to make hockey a safe sport. All of these rules, however, are going to make hockey not "hockey" but somethingf****** completely different.

Edited by Shoreline, 03 September 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#84 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,510 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

The NFL has made rule after rule after rule after rule surrounding hits and how they can be made, and I don't see much difference at all regarding head injuries.

The NHL has begun to make rule after rule and oh look, still, head injuries are common.

While I applaud the fact that there's been significant breakthroughs and aggressive research being placed on head injuries and the results of them, at some point, one has to simply recognize that this is in fact a physically violent sport that a player opt's in to, and there are risks that are associated with it. I don't see people going into boxing, rugby, UFC, or other sports telling them they need to start banning violent acts orf****** nitpicking every which way they can hit.

The use of research surrounding injuries to the head and prevention should be used in a way of prevention that doesn't undermine how the sport of hockey has long been played. The reverting of pads, for example, I can certainly agree with. This impacts the player who's doing the hitting making it more painful for the player making the hit and logically would place more restraint on the person, as well as make the player making the hit absorb more of the damage. This still does not undermine the physical nature of the sport or flatten the role that physical play has in the sport.

I'm watching in more recent years this sort of placing sports on some fantasy, cloud-nine pedestal where you can remove the physical/violent aspect of the sport and have it a) still be the sport played at the same level of competitive nature, and b) be entertaining. If you notice I'm not much of a fighter slappy at all, and I come into quite a heavy disagreement with those who assert that we need fighters on this team, on the other hand, the physical nature is part of what makes hockey, "hockey", and what makes football, "football". This contemporary fantasy attempt at idealizing every single hit that's placed where it's perfectly away from the head, or perfectly square, or perfectly above the knees, and where the player lands on a spot that's going to be less trauma to a certain body part is only going to result in a bogged down,f****** boring ass game to watch, and it's going to send mixed messages to both people who play and watch hockey. It's quite ridiculous. Leave it alone. Banning hits to the head is not going to make hockey a safe sport. Banning fighting is not going to make hockey a safe sport. Nothing is going to make hockey a safe sport. All of these rules, however, are going to make hockey not "hockey" but somethingf****** completely different.

:clap:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#85 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

there was nice full page tribute to wade belak in yesterdays tennessean written by preds player david legwand:

Posted Image

<A href="http://cdn2.sbnation..._1315641a.jpg">Posted Image

#86 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

Auto Erotic asphyxiation....what a way to go.

RIP Wade, you were always a fan favorite.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#87 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,510 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

I was thinking this may have been the cause when I 1st had heard that he had hung himself...INXS frontman Michael Hutchence died the same way.

#88 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,658 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:32 PM

I was thinking this may have been the cause when I 1st had heard that he had hung himself...INXS frontman Michael Hutchence died the same way.

Didn't David Carradine die that way also?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#89 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,510 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Didn't David Carradine die that way also?

I believe so...Was found in his Bangkok hotel room all "tied up".

#90 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:39 AM

Highly doubtful; and considering his dad said he was told he killed himself - pure spectulation. Just because one or two people say he wouldnt have killed himself and there's more to it doesnt make it true. Tho' i agree, would be quite sad to see someone die like that...really un-needed.

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct, 05 September 2011 - 02:39 AM.

Posted Image

#91 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:22 AM

Is it bad that I first heard about this through South Park?

#92 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

Link?

#93 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

I can't believe someone would neg' me for saying he was a fan favorite. Some sick f***s on this site.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#94 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

I can't believe someone would neg' me for saying he was a fan favorite. Some sick f***s on this site.

Are you really so bored that you're trolling in a thread about a dead hockey player?

#95 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:33 PM

i gave you + 1 for saying he was a fan favorite,he was one of a my favorite players too.

#96 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

I gave you the neg for mentioning a cause of death that has NOT been established. Yes, he was a fan favorite. He was my favorite player for the Predators.
But for you, or any other poster, to start posting crap without a credible source to back it up....it pissed me off. Still does. And I'm not apologizing for it. If you want to start calling people out for being sick f***s, I suggest a look in the mirror first.
I'm done. Show some respect people. A 35 year old man with 2 little girls is dead.

PredsFanInTheBayouState, thank you for posting the full page ad that was in the Tennessean. I don't subscribe to the paper, and I couldn't find it online.

#97 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

I gave you the neg for mentioning a cause of death that has NOT been established. Yes, he was a fan favorite. He was my favorite player for the Predators.
But for you, or any other poster, to start posting crap without a credible source to back it up....it pissed me off. Still does. And I'm not apologizing for it. If you want to start calling people out for being sick f***s, I suggest a look in the mirror first.
I'm done. Show some respect people. A 35 year old man with 2 little girls is dead.

PredsFanInTheBayouState, thank you for posting the full page ad that was in the Tennessean. I don't subscribe to the paper, and I couldn't find it online.

you are very welcome,i have a subscription to the tennessean where i can view it on my computer screen.

Edited by PredsFanTheBayouState, 05 September 2011 - 08:10 PM.

#98 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Link?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/CBC-s-P-J-Stock-Wade-Belak-not-a-suicide-but-a?urn=nhl-wp11744

#99 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/CBC-s-P-J-Stock-Wade-Belak-not-a-suicide-but-a?urn=nhl-wp11744

I meant an actual verified account that said it was auto-erotic asphyxiation. Konnan basically stated it as if it were fact.

That's just a link to someone else speculating.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 05 September 2011 - 08:37 PM.

#100 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

I doubt you'll ever get an actual verification of this. It's obviously just more speculation, but I was just showing where he may have heard this.

When I first read his post, I was actually pretty disgusted, thought it was very poor taste, but that was before I heard about the speculation.