• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DangleDangleBeach

Red Wings Sponsor?

Rate this topic

Considering how much Dick Devos has done for the city of Grand Rapids and Michigan as a whole - I'm fine with this relationship. I was born in Grand Rapids and know first hand the kind of contribution he has made. Along with Van Andel and Bill Knapp - enough can't be said about all they have given this state.

Regardless of his political leanings, you're delusional if you don't at least recognize his contributions.

There is a Howe Arena in Traverse City...why not one in Detroit? What would be the problem with that? Non-commercial, honoring a Detroit sports legend. I see nothing wrong with it.

There is a Howe Arena in Traverse City...why not one in Detroit? What would be the problem with that? Non-commercial, honoring a Detroit sports legend. I see nothing wrong with it.

That would be wonderful. Unfortunately in these days of corporate branding (can't blame them for wanting the free advertising if they're paying through the nose to build the arena) I have a feeling it will end up corporate.

I'd be happy with Illich Arena. In fact, it might help me learn to spell it without looking it up every single time.

Has anyone been out to the official detroitredwings.com site? They mention:

They proceed to show the Winged Wheel with "presented by Amway" right under it. I hate seeing the Winged Wheel tarnished with a company logo under it. And it's not just because it's Amway. It just looks ridiculous. Maybe I'm being over sensitive?

Sick. Makes me want to vomit. I too hate seeing this much corporate branding tarnishing my beloved team, but the fact that its Amway makes it that much worse.

Well, now we have a general idea of what the new arena will be named;)

Pyramid Scheme Center?

That would be wonderful. Unfortunately in these days of corporate branding (can't blame them for wanting the free advertising if they're paying through the nose to build the arena) I have a feeling it will end up corporate.

I'd be happy with Illich Arena. In fact, it might help me learn to spell it without looking it up every single time.

You mean Illitch? :P

Please remember, everyone, to keep this thread on topic about Amway's sponsorship of the Detroit Red Wings.

If you want to discuss the political ideologies of Amway's founders, or anyone else for that matter, feel free to do so in the Political Discussion subforum.

The sum of the point to my post wasn't politically based, but more on the positive impact the individuals have had for the citizens in our State. I see a direct correlation with the Red Wings because as we know, Illitch has made this team possible due to his good fortunes with Litte Caesars. Furthermore, Illitch has continued to give back in many many ways that has helped stimulate the economy as well as help the advancement in Youth Hockey. This comes back to the Red Wings and their continued large picture success in many ways.

Illitch has obviously fostered an endearing relationship with other successful men in our state and combined they have embarked on quite an impressive hockey Empire (Van Andel Arena/Griffins etc.)

Every other arena has a corporate sponsor (at least nearly) - but how many can say that theirs is HOMEGROWN and continues to feed back into their State and youth? Possibly none - not at the level of which these men have achieved.

I think this is a GREAT thing for the Detroit Red Wings as it further incorporates the family atmosphere that has seperated the Red Wings from the rest and why star players come here to win championships and not fill a trust fund.

Professional Sports are a great thing - but before anything else it is a business. Hence the word "professiona". If anyone actually took a second to see things from a reality view point and take your cliche corporate hate out of the picture, you would see how this will only help the common good of our beloved Red Wings and the state in which the majority of its fanbase resides.

Honestly, I don't think many people would have been nearly upset if it had been Belle tire, or GM, or any other Detroit based business that brings pride. I think what bugs people is they went with a shady pyramid scheme company. Plus, the article posted earlier made a great point. Promoting a pyramid scheme into a severely economically depressed area, it's like throwing a wolf in with some sheep.

Honestly, I don't think many people would have been nearly upset if it had been Belle tire, or GM, or any other Detroit based business that brings pride. I think what bugs people is they went with a shady pyramid scheme company. Plus, the article posted earlier made a great point. Promoting a pyramid scheme into a severely economically depressed area, it's like throwing a wolf in with some sheep.

THIS is exactly the point.

People aren't upset about corporate sponsorship, as that was inevitable. People are upset because its Amway. Amway is a shady ******* pyramid scheme. They are scumbags that prey on the vulnerable.

And to the guy who keeps saying the Amway helped out their local community. So what? I know its an extreme example, but so did Pablo Escobar. He was considered a saint in his community and helped everyone out, built up neighborhoods, built schools, etc. But in the bigger scheme of things, he was a total monster. Much like Amway.

Edited by sleepwalker

I'm a right-wing douchebag and I don't like them or this at all.

There's nothing wrong with having political or religious views, and there's nothing wrong with discussing such things with other people if the other people are into discussing things, but that Amway meeting was cult-like.

It was like, ok, we know you're a Christian, so if you don't join with us, you must not be a real Christian and you have no values. Huh? That, my friends is what is called a smoke screen. You could do the same thing with religion, politics, sports fanship... hmm, maybe they just added the latter to the others.

At any rate, after seeing what devotion to the "program" did to my friend and her family, I stay far away from that sort of "programming".

Honey, as far as I'm concerned, you're the farthest thing from a right-wing douchebag, and to even lump yourself anywhere near these sleaze merchants is an insult you don't deserve. You're so much better than they are.

I'm sticking to my guns. Howe Arena. Not a damned thing wrong with it.

Edited by Kira

That I could tolerate more than those idiots trying to pull a Ponzi scheme.

And I don't care if it doesn't pay the bills by calling it Howe Arena. At least we could hold our heads high doing so. Anything else, and I'd want to hide in shame.