96 replies to this topic

#21 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Amway Arena

Makes me cringe - enough to hope the Joe remains open for the next century.

What would be a good non-corporate arena name for Detroiters? Like I'm sure a lot of people would prefer Kid Rock Stadium over Amway or insert corporation name here. Although I suppose Ford Field isn't so bad. Cars, motor city, bla bla bla.

#22 juiceman

juiceman

Prospect

• 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

If they put the Amway name on the Jerseys, I am going to be furious. I think Detroit has worked so hard to build it's traditional image. If they do put the Amway logo on the jersey, I think it's going to destroy the image the the Illitch Family and the entire organization has worked so hard to build.

Prepare to be furious.

Posted Image

#23 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Prepare to be furious.

Posted Image

they had them on practice jerseys last year.

#24 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

Afraid you may be right.

The new rink will be in the form of a giant pyramid with a golden rich doucebag looking businessman on top throwing golden dollars everywhere while laughing.

The base of the pyramid will be comprised of corroded bronze statues of poor blue collar "peons" looking disheveled as they've been bilked for all their money by the promises of the ****** on top...

#25 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

What would be a good non-corporate arena name for Detroiters? Like I'm sure a lot of people would prefer Kid Rock Stadium over Amway or insert corporation name here. Although I suppose Ford Field isn't so bad. Cars, motor city, bla bla bla.

I'd actually prefer Amway Arena over Kid rock Stadium. But, they'd both be horrible.

Renovate the Joe!

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#26 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:05 AM

Prepare to be furious.

Posted Image

Yeah I actually have a jersey similar to that one from last year. I am worried about game jerseys.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#27 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

I never thought I'd hope for Little Caesar's Arena, but right about now, it sounds lovely.

#28 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

Considering how much Dick Devos has done for the city of Grand Rapids and Michigan as a whole - I'm fine with this relationship. I was born in Grand Rapids and know first hand the kind of contribution he has made. Along with Van Andel and Bill Knapp - enough can't be said about all they have given this state.

Regardless of his political leanings, you're delusional if you don't at least recognize his contributions.
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#29 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:30 AM

Please remember, everyone, to keep this thread on topic about Amway's sponsorship of the Detroit Red Wings.

If you want to discuss the political ideologies of Amway's founders, or anyone else for that matter, feel free to do so in the Political Discussion subforum.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#30 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

Well, now we have a general idea of what the new arena will be named;)

You may be on the right track.

http://www.crainsdet...LOG13/110909995

#31 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

I never thought I'd hope for Little Caesar's Arena, but right about now, it sounds lovely.

OOOO.....

Hockey arena shaped like a bag of crazy bread, slice of pizza, or a pizza box....

Creative eh?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

OOOO.....

Hockey arena shaped like a bag of crazy bread, slice of pizza, or a pizza box....

Creative eh?

And little pepperonis on the practice pucks.

#33 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

"It's more than Hockey" ...It's AMWAY. Posted Image
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#34 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

There is a Howe Arena in Traverse City...why not one in Detroit? What would be the problem with that? Non-commercial, honoring a Detroit sports legend. I see nothing wrong with it.
Posted Image

#35 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

There is a Howe Arena in Traverse City...why not one in Detroit? What would be the problem with that? Non-commercial, honoring a Detroit sports legend. I see nothing wrong with it.

That would be wonderful. Unfortunately in these days of corporate branding (can't blame them for wanting the free advertising if they're paying through the nose to build the arena) I have a feeling it will end up corporate.

I'd be happy with Illich Arena. In fact, it might help me learn to spell it without looking it up every single time.

#36 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

excellent write up;

http://hockeyindepen...g/gordon/38121/

#37 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:14 PM

Has anyone been out to the official detroitredwings.com site? They mention:

They proceed to show the Winged Wheel with "presented by Amway" right under it. I hate seeing the Winged Wheel tarnished with a company logo under it. And it's not just because it's Amway. It just looks ridiculous. Maybe I'm being over sensitive?

Sick. Makes me want to vomit. I too hate seeing this much corporate branding tarnishing my beloved team, but the fact that its Amway makes it that much worse.

Well, now we have a general idea of what the new arena will be named;)

Pyramid Scheme Center?

#38 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

Posted Image

#39 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

That would be wonderful. Unfortunately in these days of corporate branding (can't blame them for wanting the free advertising if they're paying through the nose to build the arena) I have a feeling it will end up corporate.

I'd be happy with Illich Arena. In fact, it might help me learn to spell it without looking it up every single time.

You mean Illitch? :P

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#40 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Please remember, everyone, to keep this thread on topic about Amway's sponsorship of the Detroit Red Wings.

If you want to discuss the political ideologies of Amway's founders, or anyone else for that matter, feel free to do so in the Political Discussion subforum.

The sum of the point to my post wasn't politically based, but more on the positive impact the individuals have had for the citizens in our State. I see a direct correlation with the Red Wings because as we know, Illitch has made this team possible due to his good fortunes with Litte Caesars. Furthermore, Illitch has continued to give back in many many ways that has helped stimulate the economy as well as help the advancement in Youth Hockey. This comes back to the Red Wings and their continued large picture success in many ways.

Illitch has obviously fostered an endearing relationship with other successful men in our state and combined they have embarked on quite an impressive hockey Empire (Van Andel Arena/Griffins etc.)

Every other arena has a corporate sponsor (at least nearly) - but how many can say that theirs is HOMEGROWN and continues to feed back into their State and youth? Possibly none - not at the level of which these men have achieved.

I think this is a GREAT thing for the Detroit Red Wings as it further incorporates the family atmosphere that has seperated the Red Wings from the rest and why star players come here to win championships and not fill a trust fund.

Professional Sports are a great thing - but before anything else it is a business. Hence the word "professiona". If anyone actually took a second to see things from a reality view point and take your cliche corporate hate out of the picture, you would see how this will only help the common good of our beloved Red Wings and the state in which the majority of its fanbase resides.
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.