• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Top 3 Players in Each Team's History

Rate this topic

Just thought we'd have a fun offseason thread with not much going on right now. I'm looking at many factors when compiling this list, such as: longevity, level of play, stats relative to the era, individual accolades and playoff numbers. I narrowed it down to three players because I thought that would generate the most debate and not get too complicated. At the end of the day (like everything else) this is still highly subjective, but I honestly tried to be as objective as possible.

Avalanche/Nordiques

1. Sakic

2. Roy

3. Forsberg

Blackhawks

1. Mikita

2. Hull

3. Esposito

Blue Jackets

1. Nash

2. Vyborny

3. Mason

Blues

1. Hull

2. MacInnis

3. Federko

Bruins

1. Orr

2. Bourque

3. Esposito

Canadiens

1. Richard

2. Beliveau

3. Lafleur

Canucks

1. Bure

2. Naslund

3. Linden

Capitals

1. Ovechkin

2. Bondra

3. Gartner

Coyotes/Jets

1. Hawerchuk

2. Steen

3. Doan

Devils

1. Brodeur

2. Stevens

3. Elias

Ducks

1. Selanne

2. Kariya

3. Niedermayer

Flames

1. Iginla

2. MacInnis

3. Fleury

Flyers

1. Clarke

2. Parent

3. Lindros

Hurricanes/Whalers

1. Francis

2. Staal

3. Brind’Amour

Islanders

1. Trottier

2. Potvin

3. Bossy

Jets/Thrashers

1. Kovalchuk

2. Hossa

3. Kozlov

Kings

1. Gretzky

2. Dionne

3. Robitaille

Leafs

1. Conacher

2. Apps

3. Mahovlich

Lightning

1. St. Louis

2. Lecavalier

3. Richards

Oilers

1. Gretzky

2. Messier

3. Coffey

Panthers

1. Jokinen

2. Bure

3. Vanbiesbrouck

Penguins

1. Lemieux

2. Jagr

3. Crosby

Predators

1. Timonen

2. Vokoun

3. Weber

Rangers

1. Leetch

2. Gilbert

3. Bathgate

Red Wings

1. Howe

2. Lidstrom

3. Yzerman

Sabres

1. Hasek

2. Perreault

3. Martin

Senators

1. Alfredsson

2. Redden

3. Heatley

Sharks

1. Marleau

2. Nabokov

3. Thornton

Stars/North Stars

1. Modano

2. Zubov

3. Broten

Wild

1. Gaborik

2. Backstrom

3. Koivu

Guest 13GoWings40

For the Predators I think it should be:

1. Weber

2. Vokoun

3. Legwand

I feel Legwand should be included because he was the franchise's first draft choice, established himself as a successful player and fan favorite, and continues to be a part of the franchise 14 years later. For a franchise that has won nothing except one playoff round, I think that longevity is more important to the franchise than a player like Timonen who had a few sucessful seasons and then was traded away. The same could be said for Vokoun but I feel he still made a larger impact on the franchise than Timonen (largely due to the positions they played).

Good list.

I think Gretzky should be in there for the Oilers though.

And I'd have Yzerman above Lidstrom, personally.

I did have Gretzky in there for the Oilers. I'm not that big an idiot.

Yzerman may have meant more for the Wings, but that's only one factor I looked at. I rank Lidstrom higher all time, and they both played their whole career in Detroit and for a similar amount of total seasons. Lidstrom is just a machine, even in his late 30's and into his 40's now. Yzerman wasn't a top player during his last several years in Detroit. Lidstrom, however, is more than just an inspirational figure. He's still one of the two best players on the team.

The individual accolades and being great relative to the era also favors Lidstrom. Of course, Yzerman played in an era with better competition and hockey Gods like Gretrzky and Lemieux, who were winning all the trophies. Bust still, Lidstrom's is easily the best D-man of his era and has 7 freaking Norris trophies.

Bottom line is that when people rank their all time players list, I think Lidstrom will rank ahead of Yzerman on most lists, mine included.

For the Predators I think it should be:

1. Weber

2. Vokoun

3. Legwand

I feel Legwand should be included because he was the franchise's first draft choice, established himself as a successful player and fan favorite, and continues to be a part of the franchise 14 years later. For a franchise that has won nothing except one playoff round, I think that longevity is more important to the franchise than a player like Timonen who had a few sucessful seasons and then was traded away. The same could be said for Vokoun but I feel he still made a larger impact on the franchise than Timonen (largely due to the positions they played).

Timonen played there for 8 seasons. That's more than long enough. He made several All Star games and was the best skater on their team for many of those years. There's no doubt in my mind that he's number one. Don't know how you can leave him off the list entirely.

Legwand has been there the longest, but he's never been a star player. Longevity is just one factor I looked at. He never had to carry that team either.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Hmmm...

I don't know about the Wings trio.

Howe, certainly.

The second and third slots are the tough one. Sawchuk? Lindsay? Yzerman? Lidstrom? No matter whom you pick, there are 2 HOF players left out, and in all likelihood, 2 retired numbers.

Hmmm...

I don't know about the Wings trio.

Howe, certainly.

The second and third slots are the tough one. Sawchuk? Lindsay? Yzerman? Lidstrom? No matter whom you pick, there are 2 HOF players left out, and in all likelihood, 2 retired numbers.

I never really considered Lindsay and Sawchuk over Lidstrom and Yzerman. They're both legends and great Red Wings, but not over Lidstrom and Yzerman. Of course it's just my opinion. Obviously, I had to snub many great legends from many teams when compiling my list.

But honestly, the Wings weren't a team I spent too much time brooding over. It was an easy selection for me for all three spots.

Wow how'd I miss Gretzky? I guess I AM that big of an idiot. :hehe:

No, you just scared me for a while.

I thought I may have had a dizzying spell and put Pronger on the list accidentally. :D

Yeah Sawchuck should be there, and I think I would say Lindsay too. Over Yzerman and Lids. But if you want to keep the new guys, I would say snub one and then your list should look like this:

1.Howe

2.Sawchuk

3.Lidstrom

I applaud you for taking that stance and respect your opinion.

Not many people here would have the guts to leave Yzerman off a list of 3 greatest Wings in history.

But you really think Sawchuk and Lindsay were better players than Yzerman? Yzerman basically carried this franchise by himself for about 8 or 9 seasons. He didn't have Hall of Famers all around him early in his career, like Sawchuk and Lindsay did. Also, even if you adjust for stats, Yzerman still put up monster numbers in his prime. He's one of the most gifted offensive players in hockey history.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'd have a hard time not fitting one of if not both Sittler and/or Salming on there.

Who would you snub? Truthfully, the original 6 (minus Detroit) was a pain in the ass for me. I had a harder time with the Leafs than just about any team.

Conacher lead the league in goals 5 of his 9 seasons in Toronto, and was one of the best players of his era. Apps is another guy that averaged over a point per game back when players weren't doing that. IMO, they were better in their era than Sittler was in his. Of course, it's hardly an exact science, but that's a factor I looked at.

Mahovlich played about 11 full seasons in Toronto, and made the All star team 9 of those seasons. Sittler and Salming only made 3 each as Leafs. Mahovlich was also all NHL first or second team 6 times in Toronto. Of course he had more talent around him than either of those players, so I can see you arguing that point.

Another guy I left off was Keon, who many regard as the best Leaf ever. That was also a tough snub for me. Either way, I'd have to leave off some terrific players which could be argued to belong on the list.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest 13GoWings40

Timonen played there for 8 seasons. That's more than long enough. He made several All Star games and was the best skater on their team for many of those years. There's no doubt in my mind that he's number one. Don't know how you can leave him off the list entirely.

Legwand has been there the longest, but he's never been a star player. Longevity is just one factor I looked at. He never had to carry that team either.

But what did Timonen ever accomplish there? He was a good player for them, but he was never a superstar and has no real individual or team awards/accomplishments in his time there. And Timonen never really carried the team either. They won nothing while he was there and I give more credit to Vokoun for any victories in that time than I do Timonen. I feel like when you are dealing with a franchise like Nashville that has never had a true superstar or cup winner, intangibles should be weighed more heavily than just who was the best talent. Also, how is Weber not number one for that franchise? Homegrown talent, closest thing to a legitimate superstar they've ever had, captained the team to its first ever playoff series victory, etc.

If you meant for this to be a list of top 3 just in terms of pure talent, I would replace Yzerman with Fedorov for Detroit and I would replace Beliveau with Harvey for Montreal.

But what did Timonen ever accomplish there? He was a good player for them, but he was never a superstar and has no real individual or team awards/accomplishments in his time there. And Timonen never really carried the team either. They won nothing while he was there and I give more credit to Vokoun for any victories in that time than I do Timonen. I feel like when you are dealing with a franchise like Nashville that has never had a true superstar or cup winner, intangibles should be weighed more heavily than just who was the best talent. Also, how is Weber not number one for that franchise? Homegrown talent, closest thing to a legitimate superstar they've ever had, captained the team to its first ever playoff series victory, etc.

If you meant for this to be a list of top 3 just in terms of pure talent, I would replace Yzerman with Fedorov for Detroit and I would replace Beliveau with Harvey for Montreal.

I didn't base it on pure talent. The original post lays out all the things I looked at.

You're right that Weber is better than Timonen, but he's only gotten recognized over the last several seasons. Timonen played several more seasons there than Weber, and was a star player, unlike say Legwand. In a year or two, I'm sure Weber will be number one easily over Timonen or Vokoun.

In any case, your argument is a good one, because I did originally have Vokoun over everyone else, and was debating where to rank Weber and Timonen. Weber is more of a star and arguably the best D-man in the league right now. I have no problem with you putting him first. I guess I gave Timonen the nod in longevity.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Hmmm I think I'd replace Hossa with Selanne for the Jets. Just to have at least one original Jets player in there. Also I doubt they'll see another (if not ever) player have a monstrous rookie year like Selanne's, but that's just me :P

Guest 13GoWings40

I didn't base it on pure talent. The original post lays out all the things I looked at.

You're right that Weber is better than Timonen, but he's only gotten recognized over the last several seasons. Timonen played several more seasons there than Weber, and was a star player, unlike say Legwand. In a year or two, I'm sure Weber will be number one easily over Timonen or Vokoun.

In any case, your argument is a good one, because I did originally have Vokoun over everyone else, and was debating where to rank Weber and Timonen. Weber is more of a star and arguably the best D-man in the league right now. I have no problem with you putting him first. I guess I gave Timonen the nod in longevity.

Wow, did you just concede a point in an internet debate? You sir are truly a noble man lol :thumbup: :beerbuddy:

Anaheim

1. Teemu Selanne

2. Paul Kariya

3. Ryan Getzlaf

Atlanta/Winnipeg

1. Ilya Kovalchuk

2. Dany Heatley

3. Kari Lehtonen

Boston

1. Bobby Orr

2. Ray Bourque

3. Cam Neely

Buffalo

1. Dominik Hasek

2. Pat Lafontaine

3. Ryan Miller

Calgary

1. Jarome Iginla

2. Theo Fleury

3. Lanny MacDonald

Carolina

1. Ron Francis

2. Rod Brind'Amour

3. Eric Staal

Chicago

1. Bobby Hull

2. Stan Mikita

3. Tony Esposito

Colorado

1. Joe Sakic

2. Peter Forsberg

3. Patrick Roy

Columbus

1. Rick Nash

2. David Vborny

3. Steve Mason

Dallas

1. Mike Modano

2. Ed Belfour

3. Sergei Zubov

Detroit

1. Gordie Howe

2. Steve Yzerman

3. Ted Lindsay

Edmonton

1. Wayne Gretzky

2. Mark Messier

3. Grant Fuhr

Florida

1. Pavel Bure

2. John Vanbiesbrouck

3. Oli Jokinen

Los Angeles

1. Wayne Gretzky

2. Luc Robitaille

3. Rob Blake

Minnesota

1. Marion Gaborik

2. Niklas Backstrom

3. Miiko Koivu

Montreal

1. Maurice Rocket Richard

2. Guy Lafleur

3. Ken Dryden

Nashville

1. David Legwand

2. Shea Weber

3. Pekka Rinne

New Jersey

1. Martin Broduer

2. Scott Stevens

3. Patrick Elias

NYI

1. Mike Bossy

2. Brian Trottier

3. Billy Smith

NYR

1. Mark Messier

2. Brian Leetch

3. Mike Richter

Ottawa

1. Daniel Alfredsson

2. Mike Fisher

3. Jason Spezza

Philadelphia

1. Eric Lindros

2. Ron Hextall

3. Bobby Clarke

Phoenix

1. Shane Doan

2. Keith Tkachuk

3. Jeremy Roenick

Pittsburgh

1. Mario Lemieux

2. Sidney Crosby

3. Jaromir Jagr

San Jose

1. Patrick Marleau

2. Evgeni Nabokov

3. Owen Nolan

St. Louis

1. Brett Hull

2. Al MacInnis

3. Chris Pronger

Tampa Bay

1. Vincent Lecavelier

2. Martin St. Louis

3. Steven Stamkos

Toronto

1. Dave Keon

2. Wendel Clarke

3. Turk Broda

Vancouver

1. Daniel Sedin/Henrik Sedin

2. Trevor LInden

3. Markus Naslund

Washington

1. Alex Ovechkin

2. Peter Bondra

3. Dale Hunter

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Hmmm I think I'd replace Hossa with Selanne for the Jets. Just to have at least one original Jets player in there. Also I doubt they'll see another (if not ever) player have a monstrous rookie year like Selanne's, but that's just me :P

In terms of Selanne's rookie year, yes, it was monstrous, but relative as well. I consider Crosby's and Ovechkin's rookie years to be close to, if not more impressive.

Selanne finished 5th in league scoring, Ovechkin and Crosby finished 3rd and 6th respectively. Yes, Selanne had 76 goals, but so did another player in the league that year (Mogilny), Lemieux had 69 goals in 60 games, Robitaille had 63 goals, Bure had 60 goals, Yzerman and Turgeon both had 58 goals.

Selanne entered the league as a 22 year old having played 3 seasons in a major professional league (I know Ovechkin had that experience as well), while Ovehckin and Crosby entered the league at 20 and 18 years old respectively.

Avalanche/Nordiques

1. Sakic

2. Roy

3. Forsberg

Blackhawks

1. Mikita

2. Hull

3. Hall

Blue Jackets

1. Nash

2. Vyborny

3. Mason

Blues

1. Hull

2. MacInnis

3. Pronger

Bruins

1. Orr

2. Bourque

3. Shore

Canadiens

1. Harvey

2. Beliveau

3. Plante

Canucks

1. Bure

2. Naslund

3. Linden

Capitals

1. Ovechkin

2. Bondra

3. Gartner

Coyotes/Jets

1. Hawerchuk

2. Steen

3. Doan

Devils

1. Brodeur

2. Stevens

3. Elias

Ducks

1. Selanne

2. Kariya

3. Niedermayer

Flames

1. MacInnis

2. Fleury

3. Iginla

Flyers

1. Clarke

2. Parent

3. Lindros

Hurricanes/Whalers

1. Francis

2. Staal

3. Brind’Amour

Islanders

1. Potvin

2. Trottier

3. Bossy

Jets/Thrashers

1. Kovalchuk

2. Hossa

3. Kozlov

Kings

1. Gretzky

2. Dionne

3. Robitaille

Leafs

1. Apps

2. Conacher

3. Broda

Lightning

1. St. Louis

2. Lecavalier

3. Richards

Oilers

1. Gretzky

2. Messier

3. Coffey

Panthers

1. Jokinen

2. Bure

3. Vanbiesbrouck

Penguins

1. Lemieux

2. Jagr

3. Crosby

Predators

1. Timonen

2. Vokoun

3. Weber

Rangers

1. Leetch

2. Bathgate

3. Park

Red Wings

1. Howe

2. Lidstrom

3. Yzerman

Sabres

1. Hasek

2. Perreault

3. Martin

Senators

1. Alfredsson

2. Redden

3. Heatley

Sharks

1. Marleau

2. Nabokov

3. Thornton

Stars/North Stars

1. Modano

2. Zubov

3. Broten

Wild

1. Gaborik

2. Backstrom

3. Koivu

I was talking about the Jets/Thrashers. Selanne never played for them. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Wow, did you just concede a point in an internet debate? You sir are truly a noble man lol :thumbup: :beerbuddy:

Nothing to concede really. I could have gone either way on some of these myself. I admitted it was somewhat subjective no matter how objective I tried to be.

Anaheim

1. Teemu Selanne

2. Paul Kariya

3. Ryan Getzlaf

I can see putting Getzlaf there. Some other choices on several of your lists I'm surprised about.

You think Neely had a better career than Esposito, and that Perreault and Dionne shouldn't even belong on their respective teams (Sabres and Kings). Wow!

Anyone consider derian hatcher on the stars? Nieuwendyk could be there with the flames too. Counting both sedin twins as one person cracks me up.

I thought about Hatcher and Nieuwendyk, but ultimately Zubov and Broten both played with the franchises for a longer time and put up better numbers.

The Sedins I don't care much for. Their playoff numbers are a ******* joke. Bure scored over a point per game in the playoffs as a Canuck. His 1994 playoffs were amazing and he was one game from being the first European to win the Smythe trophy, long before Lidstrom won it in 2002. Keep in mind that he hardly had any talent around him except Linden, who didn't even play on the same line as him. Neither Sedin twink is even remotely close to averaging a point per game in the playoffs, despite having lots of talent around them for many years now. They're playoff chokers.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Jets:

1. Selanne

2. Hawerchuk

3. Housley

Doan is a ****** bag and belongs nowhere on the list in even top 10 for Jets/Coyotes all time. his career high pts in a season is 78 pts and that's the only time above 70 pts in a season. plus he's a cheap shot artist and a dirty hitter.

I know he wasn't a great player, but the longevity and the fact that he's been the leader for so long is why I put him on the list. Also, he's scored enough points there to be a big factor. He's not exactly a Maltby type, who's been riding their fourth line for 15 years.

As four Housley, why him but not Tkachuk, who put up great numbers for them in his prime? That's the guy I debated putting on the list instead of Doan.

Also, Selanne only played there for 3 1/2 years. People just overrate his time there because of one season where he scored 76 goals. No way he should be number one. His other years there, he played 51 games, 45 games (strike season) and 51 games again before being traded. Hardly the best player in franchise history if you ask me.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I'm going against the grain here;

Red Wings

Fedorov

Lidstrom

Yzerman

I know I will draw ire for this but I believe these three players brought much attention to Detroit in the 80's and 90's and shot them into the spotlight. Fedorov drew in a lot of young kids with his playing style and I know when I played youth hockey in the 90's every kid wanted to be like Fedorov. Regardless of what you think of his departure he did do great things for the Wings.

Yzerman and Lids are no brainers obviously.

I know it said history but I don't think you can look at something like this in that large of a time frame. 10-20 year periods. Much can change and does change with each generation and you can't fairly compare players of yesterday to players of today. Just my .02.

I'm going against the grain here;

Red Wings

Fedorov

Lidstrom

Yzerman

I know I will draw ire for this but I believe these three players brought much attention to Detroit in the 80's and 90's and shot them into the spotlight. Fedorov drew in a lot of young kids with his playing style and I know when I played youth hockey in the 90's every kid wanted to be like Fedorov. Regardless of what you think of his departure he did do great things for the Wings.

Yzerman and Lids are no brainers obviously.

I know it said history but I don't think you can look at something like this in that large of a time frame. 10-20 year periods. Much can change and does change with each generation and you can't fairly compare players of yesterday to players of today. Just my .02.

I get what you mean and agree. But with that being said, does that mean you're saying Fedorov is having as big an impact for this organisation than Howe still is? Even into his 80s? Like I said I agree that time-frames affect things. But when talking about the 3 best players in this teams history, Howe arguably, hasn't left. He's still working with the Wings as their biggest face. As someone mentioned earlier, Yzerman wasn't stellar towards the end of his career but still gave everything each game, even with one leg, not to mention being the longest serving captain. If any on the generally approved list is vulnerable, then it's Lids, but consistently the best defenceman in the league, first European captain of a Stanley Cup winning team, 7 Norris trophies, an eventual Lady Byng nom, firt European to win the Conn Smyth. List goes on, not to mention he's a fantastic spokesperson for this organisation. I think Howe, Yzerman, Lidstrom is fairly solid as a top 3.

But love the out-of-the-box thinking. Immediately when I saw the topic I wondered how many people would include players like Fedorov or even Dats for his consistancy in an increasingly difficult league.