• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedArmy

McCrimmon, Salei on board Russian plane crash

Rate this topic

Pretty much the worst tragedy in hockey history.

I guess this is no better or worse than any other plane crash, where non-famous people get killed. We see these things happen all the time. It's just horrible and absurd either way. These guys may have been famous and rich, but none of that matters in the end. They're gone forever.

Hopefully something good will come out of this and they'll build better, safer planes in the KHL and in Russia, to avert all these crashes we've been hearing about.

Pretty much the worst tragedy in hockey history.

I guess this is no better or worse than any other plane crash, where non-famous people get killed. We see these things happen all the time. It's just horrible and absurd either way. These guys may have been famous and rich, but none of that matters in the end. They're gone forever.

Hopefully something good will come out of this and they'll build better, safer planes in the KHL and in Russia, to avert all these crashes we've been hearing about.

I think this is the type of tragedy that would galvanize the government into doing something about those planes.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Maybe this isn't the time or place, but I've been hearing that Russia and the KHL have had a horrible reputation for air travel, and now this. Even if the plane was in peak condition, this crash will hurt the KHL's chances of becoming a rival league to the NHL. Like it or not, but this is something the KHL is going to have to deal with for decades. Also, I wonder if how this will effect the 2014 Olympics?

It's amazing when you think about all the flights athletes take and how very very very rare it is that their planes crash. Including today, I can think of only 3 teams that were lost due to a plane crash in 50+ years. Despite the devastation, flying clearly is the safest way to travel.

R.I.P. to everyone who lost their lives today, and all the best to the family and friends who now have to deal with the loss of a loved one. Also all the best to all the fans of this team.

Just wanted to stop by and offer my condolences to the Wings and their fans for this loss. What a horrible summer this has been for hockey. Take care.

Thanks, and we're hoping Crosby makes a complete recovery and he's back on the ice A.S.A.P.!

Guest Crymson

I think this is the type of tragedy that would galvanize the government into doing something about those planes.

I think that Russia does not have a good track record of giving a !@#$ about human life, but one never knows!

Looking at the photos of the crash site it'd be a complete miracle if anyone survives. Actually it's a miracle that they managed to find two (?) people still alive.

I hope he makes it, even though his life will obviously never be the same even if he does..

Long odds can be beaten. Happens every day in hospitals around the world.

I know one case that beat stated 10% odds to survive a day, and just as long to survive without debility. I call that a hundred to one.

I see him when I look in the mirror.

I posted some pictures of Ruslan, Karlis, and Pavol in the Hottest Wing thread on the last page if anyone would like to see. I took them at games over the last couple of years. Not knowing what was coming down the road.....

I am still sick at my stomach. I wish to God I'd never seen the pictures of the crash site. :(

I can't stop crying...I'm just speechless.

Makes you realize that these aren't just defense coaches or 6th D-men, or All-star forwards. They're people. Too often we look at bad coaching or a bad shift and don't see that they're people playing a sport...it's just a sport. Just a game that doesn't matter. What matters is life, and it is a fragile thing. Lord, be with their families.

Edited by wingnut40

I don't even know what to say about this. All summer we have heard about players from other teams dying and I thought "Wow that really sucks." But when it's people who were once a part of your organization, it's just hard to wrap your head around it. Life is not fair and this just shows that you never know when your last day will be.

I think what would be a nice Red Wings tribute to our fallen teammates would be to put their names on the ice for the entire season. Brad McCrimmon & Ruslan Salei for sure, if they wanted to include the three that were part of the Griffin's organization, that would only be better. I do agree the NHL should put something on the helmets or jersey's for the year, it's a no brainer...

...perhaps a nice video tribute to McCrimmon and Salei would be nice opening night as well. Maybe all you guys who are pro's at videos(you know who you are) should compose something up with some nice music and submit it to the Red Wings organization. I am sure there is plenty of Beast footage out there playing and coaching along with Rusty knocking some guys around... If I had the software, I would love to attempt it!

I was actually having a good day too, driving in to work, I was thinking about everything I was going to get done today. Six hours into the day and I haven't done a damn thing. I saw the article on my RSS feed and immediately recognized the team name from the McCrimmon and Salei signings and a horrible feeling sank in. I'm in shock and can't even imagine what the families/friends are going through at this very moment.

I personally, have had one of the worst days in a few years. One of those days where everything conspires against you. But after getting home, getting dressed for bed, and now sitting here (1:35AM GMT) I see this, and feel ashamed that I became so angry at myself and at others around me, when there are far worse things happening in the world. I saw the Red Wings Facebook feed, and had heard nothing about it. It was only when I saw their pictures and names on the Wings site that I found out, and sat with my head in my hands for what seemed an eternity. I feel so sad for the accident, for these peoples families, and for the hole that is left in hockey, not just now, but over the course of this last year. But more than anything I feel disgusted that I became angry for not getting the job that I had gone for, for being short with my family despite the fact they had done nothing wrong.

I urge everyone, go and hug your loved ones. Because I bet all of those left behind wish they could.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i just cannot believe this!

can we just get the season started with already

all these deaths are just simply unreal.!

i hope every single nhl team has a moment of silence at their opening home game.

Punched in the gut.

That is what I felt when I started reading this thread. I usually check LGW a couple of times a week is all in the off-season, and then a few times a day once the season starts. The last time I checked a couple of days ago I read about Belak, which was awful enough. Then today I log on to get my hockey update and get blasted in the gut with this tragic news. My mind immediately went back to one of the last posts I read on the Belak thread. Someone commented on all of the deaths so far and mentioned that it seemed the Wings organization was due for a tragedy.

I feel sick. RIP Men.....

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i just want to give everyone a Canadian-style hug right now. i am so sad i dont even want to watch, think or play anything hockey related. my thoughts and prayers are with the families .

This really hit me hard this morning when I first read it. I've been in shock all day. Very tragic for everyone involved. I don't know if it is because I am a new father, but I couldn't help but get a sinking feeling. It made me think of how Salei had taken some time away in March when his last child was born. Now that child, and so many other children, have lost their father's. I just don't know how to describe how I feel.

I heard on the news this morning that a plane went down in Russia this morning, which was sad enough, but I didn't know until I got home this afternoon who was on it. I couldn't figure out from the headline on Facebook why Lidstrom was commenting on the Russian plane crash...until I started reading. I don't know what to say, other than that I feel so sorry for the team's family and friends. I can't believe I just saw Salei and McCrimmon in March...I don't think this has sunk in completely yet. Why did this have to happen?

I've loved this game since I was a kid. I don't ever remember a summer off-season so filled with tragedy and sadness.

Nick said it was Pasha who walked in the room and broke the news. I can only imagine he must have been totally heartsick. Friends, teammates...gone in a heartbeat. And for Nick, this really had to hit hard, McCrimmon being his first defense partner and his first roommate. I wish I could give the guys a hug and tell them there are a lot of us out here tonight who love them and feel just as bereft and empty as they do.

You can bet there will be a moment of silence at camp. At the very least.

My housemate just told me that when one of the players' mothers found out about it, she had a fatal heart attack. The ripples of this just keep getting worse.

Edited by Kira

I've been on this forum all day, reading this thread over and over and I just haven't known what to say. I still can't believe this tragedy has happened. This is one of the days in hockey that I will never forget. I just can't imagine what the family and friends of these players are feeling, and my heart goes out to all of them. I know I was a lot younger when the Vladdy accident happened and it's a much different case, but the feeling in the stomach is pretty similar. Red Wings, make this season count and lets win it for Salei and McCrimmon.

Edited by Jasper84

Guest 13GoWings40

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord;

even so saith the Spirit, for they rest from their labors.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: Accept our prayers on behalf of thy

servant, and grant an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship

of thy saints; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth

with thee and the Holy Spirit, on God, now and for ever. Amen.

Edited by 13GoWings40