• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedArmy

McCrimmon, Salei on board Russian plane crash

Rate this topic

It is rather brave of him that he goes out and does what he has to do even though you know his heart isn't really in it. I hope when I see him next week in Traverse City that I can let him know how much we share his grief and his loss. That is, if I don't fall apart myself.

Team prez says they will not play again this year. That would be tough for a fan as I'd think you'd want to try to carry on some semblance of normality, but IMHO its the right thing to do.

I was hoping this would be the decision they would make. It's only right. And the true fans of the team will understand.

I am just at a loss for words...this is someone saying goodbye to Stefan Liv earlier today...(sorry, it won't embed)

Goodbye Stefan

And there was a good write-up on Liv the other day: here

Heres an excerpt:

Born Patryk Sliz in Gdynia, Poland, on Dec. 21, 1980, the future pro netminder was left at an orphanage in Gdansk by his teenaged birth mother, who realized she would be unable to properly care for the baby. At the age of 2, he was adopted by Swedish couple, Jens and Anita Liv, who traveled to Poland from their home in Norrahammar, Sweden (near Jonkoping) to receive the child. He took on the name Stefan David Patryk Liv.

I only wonder how things could have been if he had decided to tough it out in Grand Rapids....

YAROSLAVL, Russia—

They came by the tens of thousands to mourn, from world leaders to ice hockey stars to ordinary Russians, with flowers and tears and aching hearts.

An estimated 100,000 people flocked to a memorial ceremony Saturday in the western city of Yaroslavl for the victims of the Russian plane crash that devastated a top ice hockey team.

"For the first time in my life, I had trouble entering an ice arena," Vyacheslav Fetisov, a former NHL star who is chairman of the Kontinental Hockey League, said at the ceremony. "It's an inexplicable tragedy."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fgw-russia-hockey-20110911,0,7608072.story

IDK if it was just me, but at Hockeyfest today Kindl still looked pretty upset. He looked very rough and weary, wasn't very talkative, and had to have smiles coaxed out of him. I felt so bad for him. :((((

there are a lot of pictures of the funeral on Yahoo sports pictures and elsewhere. They are heartbreaking. :(

I can't wrap my mind around the idea that Ruslan is dead and in that coffin. Same goes for Beast and Liv, and all of the guys on the team. The grief is so tangible, and so terrible.

Link

I really don't have words to describe this or my feelings at the moment. But here is a little something I whipped up. You can tell where my original inspiration came from. (You'll have to forgive me, for some reason it won't let me post the picture, so I linked it.)

http://www.flickr.co...N08/6129079322/

I have another version that I like a little more, again for some reason Im unable to have the graphic show on here so I will once again provide a link. I welcome any comments or ideas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53147147@N08/6128610883/

Both are excellent. I would wear one with pride. Seems odd to say it that way, but I would- pride in the community's response, hope for those left behind, and in memory of those gone beyond.

IDK if it was just me, but at Hockeyfest today Kindl still looked pretty upset. He looked very rough and weary, wasn't very talkative, and had to have smiles coaxed out of him. I felt so bad for him. :((((

I know with certainty that this hit him very hard, and it is going to take a while to heal. I have a feeling he and Pasha both are going to be hard pressed to keep their minds on the game, and will be rather subdued next weekend. For those of us who will be there, a kind word passed on can't hurt.

Guest 13GoWings40

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Lokomotiv-officials-decide-to-not-play-2011-12-K;_ylt=AvaJkc367E7VnW3d4Vh3B6p7vLYF?urn=nhl-wp12228

"The KHL followed that news announcing that going forward the opening game of the season between the Gagarin Cup champions and runners-up will be for the Lokomotiv Cup. On Monday, Salavat Yulaev and Atlant -- who were playing at the time of the crash before the game was abandoned -- will play for the first Lokomotiv Cup."

Guest 13GoWings40

Link

Article confirming that Lokomotiv will not play this year. Seems right. Thanks for the link to the pictures Loo. Heartbreaking still.

So what are the chances of them actually playing another game ever again? With the way they were talking about each team giving a player and the team playing this year and now a couple days later the news they won't play, I think the owner(s) can't come up with the cash to pay everyone out as well as fund operating expenses and will end up declaring bankruptcy. Teams fold all the time in the KHL under much less financial strain than losing your entire team, the plane, and all the equipment on-board would cause.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Lokomotiv waits a few months for everything to calm down and then announces they're ceasing operations. I hope for the fans of yaroslavl that I'm wrong, but I have no faith in KHL executives.

I expect you may be right, 13GoWings40. And I am not sure it isn't for the best. I also am sorry for the fans there.

Thousands attend a Mass memorial in Prague Square for the Czech players killed in the crash. This site is usually where the fans are celebrating their team's victories:

The [Czech Hockey] federation announced that the players' national team jersey numbers — 4 (Rachunek), 15 (Marek) and 63 (Vasicek) — will be retired.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Czechs-mourn-3-killed-in-Russia-plane-crash-2165316.php#ixzz1Xf7jt9Qo

Edited by puckloo39