• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedArmy

McCrimmon, Salei on board Russian plane crash

Rate this topic

http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=562406&cid=8

so far not many details in english, but from I am reading in Russian its that 37 people are dead with the pretty much entire team being on board with only 1 survivor

the team website says that Brad McCrimmon former Red Wings assistant coach is their head coach and I am guessing was on board...

45 people on the plane

Entire Roster and Coaching Staff of Lokomotiv plus 4 youth players

1 survivor: crew member Alexander Sizov

KHL cancels opening day games, Ufa game was canceled after first period of play

Player Alexander Galimov (in critical conditions with 90% of his body covered in severe burns) has passed away

Plane had struggled on take off and ended up clipping a tower antenna

Pilots tried to steer the plane into Volga river, but couldn't make it

the nose of the plane ended up in the river and the rear ended up on beach

Ruslan Salei is confirmed dead...

only good news it that Finnish assistant coach didn't make it on the plane as well as youth player Maksim Zuzakin who was told to stay back to help the youth team and survived.

Edited by RedArmy

MOSCOW (AP) — A Russian jet carrying a local ice hockey team crashed Wednesday while taking off in western Russia, killing 36 people and leaving one critically injured, officials said.

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said the Yak-42 plane crashed immediately after taking off from an airport near the city of Yaroslavl, on the Volga River about 240 kilometers (150 miles) northeast of Moscow. It said one person survived the crash with grave injuries.

The ministry said the plane was carrying the Lokomotiv ice hockey team from Yaroslavl.

The team was heading to Minsk, the capital of Belarus, where it was to play Thursday against Dinamo Minsk in the opening game of the season of the Continental Hockey League. The CHL is a league of several ex-Soviet nations.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h7oaZPeyFeYJHi3gxh0mAJ7yZxiQ?docId=2cfadcc31ea649d586194c35014bfee7

From Tom Gulitti's twitter:

Former NHLers on Lokomotiv roster: Vasyunov, former Devil Karel Rachunek, Pavol Demitra, Karlis Skrastsins, Ruslan Salei, Josef Vasicek.

Terrible tragedy.

Edited by StevieY9802

wow. I sincerely hope Salei and McCrimmon were somehow not on that plane; not to take away from the fact I would hope not a single person would have passed away but unfortunately that cannot be the case.

Sadly I have to assume McCrimmon was on the plane since he's the head coach. I'm going to be following this story all day for sure.

Guest 13GoWings40

How horrible, what an awful summer for hockey. I don't even know what to say right now, an entire team is just gone. When is this gonna end?

they are reporting that it looks like the pilots were trying to land the plane into the river, but couldn't make it and the plan collapsed... the nose ended up in the river and the rear on the ground... just sounds horrible...