• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#181 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. This world is so cold. My thoughts and prayers out to all families affected.

My day was alright until I got out of class and read this. Holy s***. I don't even know what else to say.

That's exactly what I said out loud at work as I was reading the story, right when I got to Brad McCrimmon and Ruslan Salei's names.

#182 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

That's the best way to describe it.

I recognize this feeling, now that I think about it.

February 18, 2001, the Daytona 500. I was a huge NASCAR fan in those days (hey, it's in the blood- Dad raced ARCA and ASA), and Dale Earnhardt Sr. was my favorite- I'd watched him race since I learned to walk.

Last lap, middle of the last pair of turns, Earnhardt got loose, turned the car and nailed the wall doing about 170. He died instantly, they say, basilar skull fracture. There was utter silence, it was palpable even on the TV feed. I remember Darrell Waltrip whispering under his breath "That's not good...", and then it became clear just how bad it really was.

It felt much like this. Athletes aren't supposed to die like this. It's supposed to be retirement, then years later, when even their fans are old and gray, then they set sail across the Jordan.

Not like this, no, never like this.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#183 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

That's exactly what I said out loud at work as I was reading the story, right when I got to Brad McCrimmon and Ruslan Salei's names.

Yeah, in addition there's many other familiar names on there as well. Josef Vasicek (Former Carolina Hurricane), Pavol Demitra (Longtime St. Louis Blue), and Igor Korolev (Blackhawk for a short time). Just a horrible tragedy for the families of the players. My god.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#184 wvubassrfl

wvubassrfl

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

Unbelievably sad.

As much crap as McCrimmon got, no one or their family deserves this. Just a sad, sad day for all that lost their lives and their families.

#185 MacAttack25

MacAttack25

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

This is just awful. Sorry to hear about all of the people aboard, but Salei's passing stings the most. Especially after all the conflicting reports which gave hope that maybe he wasn't one of the victims. He seemed like such a nice, humble guy who loved his family. It breaks my heart thinking about the fact that he just had a child.

#186 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

I'm still just stunned by all of this. I don't even know what to say :(

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#187 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

That's the best way to describe it.

I recognize this feeling, now that I think about it.

February 18, 2001, the Daytona 500. I was a huge NASCAR fan in those days (hey, it's in the blood- Dad raced ARCA and ASA), and Dale Earnhardt Sr. was my favorite- I'd watched him race since I learned to walk.

Last lap, middle of the last pair of turns, Earnhardt got loose, turned the car and nailed the wall doing about 170. He died instantly, they say, basilar skull fracture. There was utter silence, it was palpable even on the TV feed. I remember Darrell Waltrip whispering under his breath "That's not good...", and then it became clear just how bad it really was.

It felt much like this. Athletes aren't supposed to die like this. It's supposed to be retirement, then years later, when even their fans are old and gray, then they set sail across the Jordan.

Not like this, no, never like this.

I remember that like it was yesterday. My Godson was about 3 or 4 at the time, and was a huge fan of #3. He even had the little suit. I remember his mother breaking the news to them, and them both crying together.

I'm just sitting here in tears. Do not want to go to work tonight.

#188 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

I am without words. Poor poor families, my god. What af****** tragedy.

My heart hurts the worst for Ruslan. Going over to Russia to be closer to his new baby and this happens to his family.
My god.
Posted Image

#189 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

@SlavaMalamud Slava Malamud
Legendary coach Viktor Tikhonov suggests every KHL team send at least one player to Lokomotiv to salvage the team's season.

With respect to Tikhonov, I think you have to wait to do any sort of resumption of hockey-based team activities. You can put 22 guys on the ice next week, with a new coaching staff, and wear the team's colours but they won't be Lokomotiv. They'd be a bunch of strangers in a very uncomfortable position.

Hire a coach, hire some staff, take a year off, hit the ice running next September.

#190 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

God. I just don't know what to even say. R.I.P Rusty and to all those affected. You will be greatly missed. :(

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#191 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

I was actually having a good day too, driving in to work, I was thinking about everything I was going to get done today. Six hours into the day and I haven't done a damn thing. I saw the article on my RSS feed and immediately recognized the team name from the McCrimmon and Salei signings and a horrible feeling sank in. I'm in shock and can't even imagine what the families/friends are going through at this very moment.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#192 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

I am almost glad I choose to sleep in today :(

I would have been a wreck looking at this page agonizing over who was or wasn't on the plane.

Horrid off season. So sad. :(

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 07 September 2011 - 02:43 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#193 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Group hug,

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#194 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

I HATE thisf****** off season.

#195 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Sad sad day for the Wings family, NHL, and KHL. Reminds you that life is fragile and that everyday is a gift.

#196 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm going to skate my ass off tonight. I'm glad I have a game tonight.

#197 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

(Nevermind, I see Liv was mentioned on the first page already.)

Edited by Gizmo, 07 September 2011 - 02:58 PM.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#198 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

I've got the same feeling in my stomach as I did after Vladdy's car accident. That same, "What the f*** is wrong with life?" feeling. It f****** sucks.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#199 lans

lans

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

R.I.P. LOKO PLAYERS...TRIBUTE... ....at 1.49 is the player that survived...Galimov, I hope he makes it

so many countries lost their palyers today...Czech's lost first line from last world cup, where they took gold

we lost some young talented players including Sobchenco andUruchev...they were part of the World Juniors team that won gold medal game against Canadians this year...

from what I have read here (Russia), Salei was on the plane...

btw the plane was charter V.I.P., this was not regularflight...the plane was not old like some of you said, manufactured in1994, believe it or not by aviation standard this is far from old...
also with regard to banned Russian jets, most russian jets are banned to due to higher noise levels as well as higher emission levels...does not mean they can't fly...

#200 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

I wonder if the Wings will have "Rusty" and "Beast" on their helmets or jerseys. Or some form of tribute to them on the uniforms.