• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#221 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

this offseason has just been awful. i am speechless about this.

#222 deltawing

deltawing

GO RED WINGS!

• Gold Booster
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

My stomach has been sick about this. Just imagine if this happened in America how big of a deal it would be.

This is a huge deal to me, obviously, because I am a hockey fan. RIP all these great players and my condolences goes out to all the families. What a horrible day for hockey :(
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07
http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12

#223 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

So many sad stories here. It's just unbelievable. My heart goes out to all the friends and family affected by this tragedy. I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like. We as fans may have had differences with these people as players or coaches or whatever from time to time, but I think we're all still respectful of the fact that these are still people just like you and I, and we certainly never wanted to see something like this happen. It's just awful. I don't even know what else to say, I'm still stunned by this.

It's yet another reminder to never take a moment or breath for granted.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#224 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

....and to make matters worse, Salei's daughter Ava is just over 3.5 months old.

I can't even begin......

That makes me sick.

#225 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

This is truly an awful day for hockey.

RIP.

Posted Image

#226 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

http://www.torontosu...ian-plane-crash

Sad.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#227 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,639 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

Pretty much the worst tragedy in hockey history.

I guess this is no better or worse than any other plane crash, where non-famous people get killed. We see these things happen all the time. It's just horrible and absurd either way. These guys may have been famous and rich, but none of that matters in the end. They're gone forever.

Hopefully something good will come out of this and they'll build better, safer planes in the KHL and in Russia, to avert all these crashes we've been hearing about.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#228 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

Pretty much the worst tragedy in hockey history.

I guess this is no better or worse than any other plane crash, where non-famous people get killed. We see these things happen all the time. It's just horrible and absurd either way. These guys may have been famous and rich, but none of that matters in the end. They're gone forever.

Hopefully something good will come out of this and they'll build better, safer planes in the KHL and in Russia, to avert all these crashes we've been hearing about.

I think this is the type of tragedy that would galvanize the government into doing something about those planes.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 07 September 2011 - 05:47 PM.

Posted Image

#229 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

I think this is the type of tragedy that would galvanize the government into doing something about those planes.

I sure hope so.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#230 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Maybe this isn't the time or place, but I've been hearing that Russia and the KHL have had a horrible reputation for air travel, and now this. Even if the plane was in peak condition, this crash will hurt the KHL's chances of becoming a rival league to the NHL. Like it or not, but this is something the KHL is going to have to deal with for decades. Also, I wonder if how this will effect the 2014 Olympics?

It's amazing when you think about all the flights athletes take and how very very very rare it is that their planes crash. Including today, I can think of only 3 teams that were lost due to a plane crash in 50+ years. Despite the devastation, flying clearly is the safest way to travel.

R.I.P. to everyone who lost their lives today, and all the best to the family and friends who now have to deal with the loss of a loved one. Also all the best to all the fans of this team.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#231 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Heard it on the way to work this morning and just couldn't believe it. Still in shock, RIP Brad and Rusty, and all those who lost there lives today. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families.

#NOMOREKINDL

#232 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

Just wanted to stop by and offer my condolences to the Wings and their fans for this loss. What a horrible summer this has been for hockey. Take care.

Thanks, and we're hoping Crosby makes a complete recovery and he's back on the ice A.S.A.P.!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#233 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

I think that Russia does not have a good track record of giving a !@#$ about human life, but one never knows!

#234 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Looking at the photos of the crash site it'd be a complete miracle if anyone survives. Actually it's a miracle that they managed to find two (?) people still alive.

I hope he makes it, even though his life will obviously never be the same even if he does..

Long odds can be beaten. Happens every day in hospitals around the world.

I know one case that beat stated 10% odds to survive a day, and just as long to survive without debility. I call that a hundred to one.

I see him when I look in the mirror.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#235 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Just awful news.

"Even at our birth, death does but stand aside a little. And every day he looks towards us and muses somewhat to himself whether that day or the next he will draw nigh."
--Robert Bolt

Detroit; Bringing class and honor back to the Eastern Conference since 2013

14361232487_e1fbf33701.jpg

#236 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

I don't even know what to say. I think things like this make you put a lot into perspective. We take a lot for granted, that's for sure.

#237 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

I posted some pictures of Ruslan, Karlis, and Pavol in the Hottest Wing thread on the last page if anyone would like to see. I took them at games over the last couple of years. Not knowing what was coming down the road.....

I am still sick at my stomach. I wish to God I'd never seen the pictures of the crash site. :(

#238 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

I can't stop crying...I'm just speechless.

Makes you realize that these aren't just defense coaches or 6th D-men, or All-star forwards. They're people. Too often we look at bad coaching or a bad shift and don't see that they're people playing a sport...it's just a sport. Just a game that doesn't matter. What matters is life, and it is a fragile thing. Lord, be with their families.

Edited by wingnut40, 07 September 2011 - 07:04 PM.

Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#239 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

I don't even know what to say about this. All summer we have heard about players from other teams dying and I thought "Wow that really sucks." But when it's people who were once a part of your organization, it's just hard to wrap your head around it. Life is not fair and this just shows that you never know when your last day will be.

#240 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,568 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

I think what would be a nice Red Wings tribute to our fallen teammates would be to put their names on the ice for the entire season. Brad McCrimmon & Ruslan Salei for sure, if they wanted to include the three that were part of the Griffin's organization, that would only be better. I do agree the NHL should put something on the helmets or jersey's for the year, it's a no brainer...

...perhaps a nice video tribute to McCrimmon and Salei would be nice opening night as well. Maybe all you guys who are pro's at videos(you know who you are) should compose something up with some nice music and submit it to the Red Wings organization. I am sure there is plenty of Beast footage out there playing and coaching along with Rusty knocking some guys around... If I had the software, I would love to attempt it!

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com