• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#241 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

I was actually having a good day too, driving in to work, I was thinking about everything I was going to get done today. Six hours into the day and I haven't done a damn thing. I saw the article on my RSS feed and immediately recognized the team name from the McCrimmon and Salei signings and a horrible feeling sank in. I'm in shock and can't even imagine what the families/friends are going through at this very moment.

I personally, have had one of the worst days in a few years. One of those days where everything conspires against you. But after getting home, getting dressed for bed, and now sitting here (1:35AM GMT) I see this, and feel ashamed that I became so angry at myself and at others around me, when there are far worse things happening in the world. I saw the Red Wings Facebook feed, and had heard nothing about it. It was only when I saw their pictures and names on the Wings site that I found out, and sat with my head in my hands for what seemed an eternity. I feel so sad for the accident, for these peoples families, and for the hole that is left in hockey, not just now, but over the course of this last year. But more than anything I feel disgusted that I became angry for not getting the job that I had gone for, for being short with my family despite the fact they had done nothing wrong.

I urge everyone, go and hug your loved ones. Because I bet all of those left behind wish they could.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#242 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

.....awful,just awful :(

#243 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

i just cannot believe this!
can we just get the season started with already
all these deaths are just simply unreal.!

i hope every single nhl team has a moment of silence at their opening home game.

#244 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Punched in the gut.

That is what I felt when I started reading this thread. I usually check LGW a couple of times a week is all in the off-season, and then a few times a day once the season starts. The last time I checked a couple of days ago I read about Belak, which was awful enough. Then today I log on to get my hockey update and get blasted in the gut with this tragic news. My mind immediately went back to one of the last posts I read on the Belak thread. Someone commented on all of the deaths so far and mentioned that it seemed the Wings organization was due for a tragedy.

I feel sick. RIP Men.....
You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#245 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

i just want to give everyone a Canadian-style hug right now. i am so sad i dont even want to watch, think or play anything hockey related. my thoughts and prayers are with the families .

#246 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:14 PM

This really hit me hard this morning when I first read it. I've been in shock all day. Very tragic for everyone involved. I don't know if it is because I am a new father, but I couldn't help but get a sinking feeling. It made me think of how Salei had taken some time away in March when his last child was born. Now that child, and so many other children, have lost their father's. I just don't know how to describe how I feel.

#247 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

I heard on the news this morning that a plane went down in Russia this morning, which was sad enough, but I didn't know until I got home this afternoon who was on it. I couldn't figure out from the headline on Facebook why Lidstrom was commenting on the Russian plane crash...until I started reading. I don't know what to say, other than that I feel so sorry for the team's family and friends. I can't believe I just saw Salei and McCrimmon in March...I don't think this has sunk in completely yet. Why did this have to happen?

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#248 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

I've loved this game since I was a kid. I don't ever remember a summer off-season so filled with tragedy and sadness.

Nick said it was Pasha who walked in the room and broke the news. I can only imagine he must have been totally heartsick. Friends, teammates...gone in a heartbeat. And for Nick, this really had to hit hard, McCrimmon being his first defense partner and his first roommate. I wish I could give the guys a hug and tell them there are a lot of us out here tonight who love them and feel just as bereft and empty as they do.

You can bet there will be a moment of silence at camp. At the very least.

My housemate just told me that when one of the players' mothers found out about it, she had a fatal heart attack. The ripples of this just keep getting worse.

Edited by Kira, 07 September 2011 - 09:08 PM.

Posted Image

#249 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

I've been on this forum all day, reading this thread over and over and I just haven't known what to say. I still can't believe this tragedy has happened. This is one of the days in hockey that I will never forget. I just can't imagine what the family and friends of these players are feeling, and my heart goes out to all of them. I know I was a lot younger when the Vladdy accident happened and it's a much different case, but the feeling in the stomach is pretty similar. Red Wings, make this season count and lets win it for Salei and McCrimmon.

Edited by Jasper84, 07 September 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#250 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord;
even so saith the Spirit, for they rest from their labors.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: Accept our prayers on behalf of thy
servant, and grant an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship
of thy saints; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth
with thee and the Holy Spirit, on God, now and for ever. Amen.

Edited by 13GoWings40, 07 September 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#251 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

what a terrible summer for hockey. lets just get some games started and get away from all this tragedy...

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#252 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

My housemate just told me that when one of the players' mothers found out about it, she had a fatal heart attack. The ripples of this just keep getting worse.

I had read that too. The player was Sergei Ostapchuk. Not sure if its true or not, but if so that makes this even that much worse.

What a horrible day. What a horrible summer...

:(

#253 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord;
even so saith the Spirit, for they rest from their labors.

O God, whose mercies cannot be numbered: Accept our prayers on behalf of thy
servant, and grant an entrance into the land of light and joy, in the fellowship
of thy saints; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth
with thee and the Holy Spirit, on God, now and for ever. Amen.

And here I thought we could get through this without some pretentious religious crap. <_< I'm sure Rusty's 3 1/2 month old son feels really blessed that god killed his dad.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 07 September 2011 - 09:44 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#254 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

dobbles I love your signature where did you get if I may ask. Also I would take a lost season any day then this s***ty offseason. I was just like a lot of people bitching about mccrimmon and said Salei we should let go, boy I would give all that back right now. It just goes to show you there is way more important stuff then sports. RIP all :'(
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#255 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

[quote name='Z and D for the C' timestamp='1315449831' post='2206804']
And here I thought we could get through this without some pretentious religious crap. <_< I'm sure Rusty's 3 1/2 month old son feels really blessed that god killed his dad.
[/quotehave

"Within Russia the results of a 2007 VCIOM poll indicated that about 75% of the population considered themselves Orthodox Christians.[1] Up to 65% of ethnic Russians[4][5] and a similar percentage of Belarusians and Ukrainians identify themselves as "Orthodox".[1]"

http://en.wikipedia....Orthodox_Church

For the sake of most of those onboard and for those of us on the forum with religious beliefs, some respect please.

#256 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

Cmon guys, this isn't the time or place for a religious arguement.

Everyone mourns in their own way be it having a few beers with friends and reliving memories, being alone for a while to reflect, or saying prayers.

We should put any differences we might have aside at a times like this.

#257 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

Cmon guys, this isn't the time or place for a religious arguement.

Agreed completely. It's a shame some people have to flaunt it so arrogantly.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#258 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

I read it and thought something probably pretty similar to what you did, but you didn't have to say anything out of respect. I didn't. This is about them, not you.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#259 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

That's enough.

I don't care what those players, those men, believed. I don't care if they believed. Fact of the matter is that there's a team's worth of families missing fathers, husbands, sons, brothers. People are missing friends, teammates, lovers.

For once, for one day, let's all set aside our beliefs and let people grieve as they see fit.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#260 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

Whats a shame is some people cant just ignore it and have to make a big deal about it, and this is coming from a not so religious person.

I cant even imagine what the families are going through. Im just speechless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image