- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#282 RedArmy

RedArmy

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

http://www.newsru.co...ideo/10986.html

video with about a minute of Tretiyak speaking in Russian, saying that next week they will discuss plans for Lokomotiv...

about a minute or so into the video an interview with Slava Fetisov starts in English...

#283 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

Can't even bear to look at the pictures or footage of this tragedy.

#284 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

papa bear has seen alot of s*** in his years in hockey :(

#285 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

Thoughts and prayers with all the friends and family here, an absolute tragedy. I get choked up every time I think about it.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#286 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

Can't even bear to look at the pictures or footage of this tragedy.

Yeah, you're better off not. The pics from yahoo were really bad and tasteless.

Edited by wingnut40, 08 September 2011 - 10:22 AM.

Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#287 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

You must have some Irish blood. That's how my family (at least my father's side) tends to handle things. We're formal and proper for the services, but afterwards, let the stories and draft flow.

I am, as a matter of fact, Irish and Scottish. So it's that Celtic blood, you know. We have a tendency to see things in certain ways.
Posted Image

#288 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'm still in disbelief.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#289 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

I want to just say how sad this made me.
Especially for the nearly newborn child of Ruslan. That is awful how that child will never know their parent.

I also wish the headline for this thread was about the team tragedy and not the few people that we are supposed to care about. It implies that we wouldn't care about it unless there were former Wings on the plane. That irks me a little. Not to cause a big to do, I just want to remind people that there are 38 families that will suffer in this. As well as one BIG hockey family.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#290 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

I still have tears in my eyes. This is going to take a long time to heal. For all of us. Doesn't matter which team, or who we admired. All of us have lost a loved one...I feel for our brothers and sisters in the other cities who lost a beloved member of their team...St. Louis, Vancouver, Carolina, Colorado, Dallas, New York, Florida, Phoenix, Calgary, Toronto...until you look at the list of teams these guys played for, you don't realize the impact this loss has on us all.
Posted Image

#291 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

I want to just say how sad this made me.
Especially for the nearly newborn child of Ruslan. That is awful how that child will never know their parent.

I also wish the headline for this thread was about the team tragedy and not the few people that we are supposed to care about. It implies that we wouldn't care about it unless there were former Wings on the plane. That irks me a little. Not to cause a big to do, I just want to remind people that there are 38 families that will suffer in this. As well as one BIG hockey family.

I agree, but on that note, lets not forget about the flight crew members as well. There were 44 or 45 people total onboard I beleive, not just the 38 from Lokomotiv. The crew members families are suffering just as much I'm sure...

#292 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

Russian officials calling for improved aviation safety. A bit late, wouldn't you say?

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#293 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

Russian officials calling for improved aviation safety. A bit late, wouldn't you say?

Not for the next guy, it's not.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#294 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

That's true. But unfortunately for all those lost yesterday and in the past, it's too late. Hopefully this will serve as the final straw and help prevent future similar tragedies with such needless loss of life.

#295 Krystal

Krystal

Hank's My Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

I still have tears in my eyes. This is going to take a long time to heal. For all of us. Doesn't matter which team, or who we admired. All of us have lost a loved one...I feel for our brothers and sisters in the other cities who lost a beloved member of their team...St. Louis, Vancouver, Carolina, Colorado, Dallas, New York, Florida, Phoenix, Calgary, Toronto...until you look at the list of teams these guys played for, you don't realize the impact this loss has on us all.

Amen hun :( This has been an absolutely horrific 24 hours.. I still don't think it's fully sunken in with me right now. My brother gave me a heads up as I left the house yesterday afternoon and when I got home I finally saw the list of the deceased and I choked up the minute I saw Brad and Rusty on there.

#296 RedHeat

RedHeat

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

Russian officials, including Medvedev and Putin personally, always call to fix stuff, punish the responsible, tighten the security, etc. every freaking time a fatal accident happens. But with all the corruption that became a norm in Russian society what happens next, someone pays someone else to put a bad plane, train or boat in service, so they can make even more money while saving on maintenance costs. And, unfortunately, this is not the last transportation accident in Russia we have heard or are going to hear about. Don't know how many of you follow the news but there was a ship that sank in Volga river in July of this year with 122 confirmed deaths, 50 of those are children. Same freaking story, old ship, no maintenance done. People in Russia will talk about this particular accident for a few days and forget about it until the next one happens which, believe me, will not take that long. This is the list of all fatal air incidents that happened in Russia over the last 5 years - Russian Air Incidents, about 2 per month, 7 total in July of this year. Most of them we don't hear about because they don't involve the entire hockey team. This is why I'm always surprised when someone leaves NHL to play in KHL where I know they will face so many problems, safety being one of them.

#297 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

Everyones favorite hockey news source

Basically asks for every team to volunteer up 3 players to join the Lokomotiv team so they can play this season.

My personal opinion is that they should take the year off and do this next year. I think its a little disrespectful to the players to think they could be replaced in about a week to continue the season. Plus, who the hell would want to go there and be a part of this "scab" team.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#298 DesertWing

DesertWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

Plus, who the hell would want to go there and be a part of this "scab" team.

I read earlier today that at least 30 KHL players had already volunteered to play for Lokomotiv.

Edited by DesertWing, 08 September 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#299 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

This is from Paul McCartney's show in Detroit I attended, his tribute to John Lennon and an imaginary conversation he wishes he could have had with someone he can no longer talk to. Thought this to be fitting to what we're feeling over those who have fallen.

#300 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Russian officials, including Medvedev and Putin personally, always call to fix stuff, punish the responsible, tighten the security, etc. every freaking time a fatal accident happens. But with all the corruption that became a norm in Russian society what happens next, someone pays someone else to put a bad plane, train or boat in service, so they can make even more money while saving on maintenance costs. And, unfortunately, this is not the last transportation accident in Russia we have heard or are going to hear about. Don't know how many of you follow the news but there was a ship that sank in Volga river in July of this year with 122 confirmed deaths, 50 of those are children. Same freaking story, old ship, no maintenance done. People in Russia will talk about this particular accident for a few days and forget about it until the next one happens which, believe me, will not take that long. This is the list of all fatal air incidents that happened in Russia over the last 5 years - Russian Air Incidents, about 2 per month, 7 total in July of this year. Most of them we don't hear about because they don't involve the entire hockey team. This is why I'm always surprised when someone leaves NHL to play in KHL where I know they will face so many problems, safety being one of them.

To be brutally honest I'm not at all surprised that this horrific accident took place; air travel in Russia/former Soviet Republics are not up to par with what we see in North America, and Western Europe.

Years ago when I had read Tom Hartje's book "From Behind the Red Line: An American Hockey Player in Russia" he mentioned how scary air travel was...Former Russian Super League coach Dave King's take on all of this.

'Evolution' created by Offsides