• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#321 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

The Ducks should at least consider taking it out of circulation. I know he didn't play with them last, but he's the franchise leader in games played for a defenseman. He was more closely a part of that franchise and community than any other.

Always a nice memory of Salei.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHt5rAaTa04

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#322 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

This still seems so surreal..

Cant believe an off season as horrible as this one could ever be possible.
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#323 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:40 PM

This still seems so surreal..

Cant believe an off season as horrible as this one could ever be possible.

This might be sad on my end but part of me hopes that they all escaped the plane somehow and they're all having their own Lost series somewhere. Or that this is all just a practical joke. Because this is just unbelievable to me. Just like that a group of people are dead and their families are all left in mourning. It just sucks.

#324 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

Russian officials calling for improved aviation safety. A bit late, wouldn't you say?

"The rules of aviation are written in the blood of dead men"

Having said that, Russia is far behind the west in terms of aviation safety, the rate of fatal accidents is 3 times the worldwide average. International Russian airlines are fine because they have to conform to western aviation standards, its the internal, domestic carriers that are the problem. Expect pilot error to be the official cause, its a favourite cop-out of the Russian authorities because it means they don't actually have to change anything.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#325 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:10 AM

Posted Image

Brad and his daughter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Daniil Sobchenko and his wife just married few weeks ago...

Posted Image

Salei

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct, 09 September 2011 - 02:21 AM.

Posted Image

#326 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:25 AM

Not sure if any of this was posted already..

Scott Walker says goodbye to Vasicek in 2007, not knowing it'll be the last time he sees him:

http://www.newsobser...y-of-light.html

Some Canes staff members, like Staal and coach Maurice (who Wings fans should be pretty familiar with) also giving their say:

http://www.newsobser...s-death-in.html

Edited by Shoreline, 09 September 2011 - 03:26 AM.

#327 Cali-Wing-Nut

Cali-Wing-Nut

Guppie Hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

Im at a loss for words and have been for two days now.

I feel guilty being so happy that McCrimmon and Salei left the team. Being so caught up in the game and wanting to see the Wings better and wanting anyone gone that doesnt make a perfect Cup winning team blurred the line between players and real people that are on the ice or behind the bench.

I hated on Rusty cause he took off so many games to be with his pregnant wife. Its easy to fault him for that at the game level, who couldnt put the team first??? This has put it in persepective. I hope Salei's family especially his new born understands that he put his family before everything. He skipped everything for that little one and I got to hand it to him. A family man should be respected beyond all else cause in the end what else is there?

This has been such a f***ed up summer. I hope that what has happened is over. The biggest thing beyond wishing that 2nd world countries didnt have horrible planes is that the league and hopefully the US and CAN can find ways to stave off the liberal prescription and use of Oxycontin. Too many people have been prescribed it for injuries without any oversight to the use after the fact. Some people need it. If you can play in the NHL, YOU DO NOT NEED OXYCONTIN!!!.

I wish we could have just had the summer to do innocent thinfs like questioning trades or how the draft went but instead we hear about overdose, suicide and people dying doing their jobs.

I pray that this is it, no more death. This should be fun not mourning. My thoughts go to every person affected by the terrible loss in ?Russia as well as the tragic losses of players that died too early. May you all rest in peace. May all your families find peace.
I'M WRECKING SHOP!!!

#328 lans

lans

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:41 AM

most of the players will berried tomorrow in Yaroslavl...so sad...

as to the cause of this crash...the most recent theory is very bizarre (yet me living in Russia, i know crap like this can happen, everything for the gov. officials and screw the rest)...

There is Economic forum in Yaroslavl right now...and as the result the speculations are that Yak 42 was not given full access to the entire runway (3000m), look at the video http://www.lifenews.ru/news/69096 , the camera is 400m away from the end of the runway...

apparently they were making some sort of preparations on the runway for presidential plane...so the runway was shorten...no idea by how much...

this is the rumor and no one will ever admit to this...

Edited by lans, 09 September 2011 - 05:44 AM.

#329 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

And here I thought we could get through this without some pretentious religious crap. <_< I'm sure Rusty's 3 1/2 month old son feels really blessed that god killed his dad.

God didn't kill anyone. Get over yourself :angry:

#330 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

http://sports.yahoo....iv_crash_090811

“You talk about hockey now?” Datsyuk says, not angry, just sullen. “I don’t really want to talk about hockey. My mind is different now. I don’t think about hockey. I have no idea what’s going on in hockey.”

Datsyuk sort of laughs.

“Not now,” he says. “This is really hard and bad news.”

Datsyuk said everyone in Russia was talking about the need to spend more money so travel would be safer. Russian president Dmitry Medvedev has called for immediate changes in Russia’s aviation industry. Halak doesn’t care.

“It’s too late right now,” Halak said. “So many people died on the plane. They should have done it before, if they knew that the planes were in bad condition. They should have done it before or checked more often. I don’t know. But it could happened with a new plane, with an old plane, you never know when you’re safe.”

#331 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

http://macombdaily.c...00013722514.txt

Apparently Joey MacDonald almost signed with Locomitv, but decided on the Wings offer instead. I'll bet he's glad he settled for a spot in GR

#332 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AmmTwpxfeoVfKe3VteuB6gV7vLYF?slug=nc-cotsonika_nhl_reacts_khl_lokomotiv_crash_090811

“You talk about hockey now?” Datsyuk says, not angry, just sullen. “I don’t really want to talk about hockey. My mind is different now. I don’t think about hockey. I have no idea what’s going on in hockey.”

Datsyuk sort of laughs.

“Not now,” he says. “This is really hard and bad news.”

I'm honestly amazed Pavel's listed for Hockeyfest. I know I wouldn't blame him for taking a weekend off to collect himself, go home and be with family.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#333 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image

Seeing stuff like this just continues to break my heart. I just feel so awful right now.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#334 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Absolutely incredible.

Also, can a mod or the poster edit the topic. There are 2 survivors and I find it uneasy that it states only one at this time.

They noticed a man chest-deep in the water making for the shore and initially thought he may have been a fisherman who happened to be at the scene, but then realized this was one of the crash survivors.

It took the policemen some time to maneuver their boat closer to the bank, because the river was very shallow there. While they were moving in to pick up the burnt man, another person wearing a flight crew uniform emerged. He was trying to drag out somebody also dressed in uniform from the debris, grabbing him by the shoulders.

By that time rescuers from the airport arrived and picked up the crew member. The river policemen took care of the first survivor.

“We were talking to him the whole time to keep him conscious. He was very brave and in touch with reality. Only when we lifted stretchers to load him into an ambulance did we ask his name. He said: ‘Brothers, I’m Galimov’,” Konoplev recalled.

Edited by NvrFrgtRussian5, 09 September 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#335 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Absolutely incredible.

They noticed a man chest-deep in the water making for the shore and initially thought he may have been a fisherman who happened to be at the scene, but then realized this was one of the crash survivors.

It took the policemen some time to maneuver their boat closer to the bank, because the river was very shallow there. While they were moving in to pick up the burnt man, another person wearing a flight crew uniform emerged. He was trying to drag out somebody also dressed in uniform from the debris, grabbing him by the shoulders.

By that time rescuers from the airport arrived and picked up the crew member. The river policemen took care of the first survivor.

“We were talking to him the whole time to keep him conscious. He was very brave and in touch with reality. Only when we lifted stretchers to load him into an ambulance did we ask his name. He said: ‘Brothers, I’m Galimov’,” Konoplev recalled.

Can you provide the source for this?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#336 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Jesus....those 2 survivors are the epitome of bravery.

I read this morning that doctors have put Galimov in a medical coma. His body needs all its strength to heal.

#337 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Can you provide the source for this?

I have read basically the same story on a few different sites only differing who actually brought Galimov to the shore; some say fishermen some say police (both the fishermen and police were heroic in both bringing the crew member and Galimov safely to shore)

Here is the exact story I quoted:
http://rt.com/news/p...te-witness-163/

#338 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

Idk if this has been posted yet. its pretty moving.

Everyone remember to keep these families in your prayers...

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp12157

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#339 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

Idk if this has been posted yet. its pretty moving.

Everyone remember to keep these families in your prayers...

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp12157

Here's the video embedded.

Surreal and heartbreaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI8YPm_tYXA&feature=player_embedded#!

#340 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

Posted Image

Brad and his daughter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Salei

I was curious if you could give me the link where you got the two photos from the memorial...