• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#361 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,403 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

there are a lot of pictures of the funeral on Yahoo sports pictures and elsewhere. They are heartbreaking. :(

I can't wrap my mind around the idea that Ruslan is dead and in that coffin. Same goes for Beast and Liv, and all of the guys on the team. The grief is so tangible, and so terrible.

Link

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#362 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

Link

Article confirming that Lokomotiv will not play this year. Seems right. Thanks for the link to the pictures Loo. Heartbreaking still.

#363 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

I really don't have words to describe this or my feelings at the moment. But here is a little something I whipped up. You can tell where my original inspiration came from. (You'll have to forgive me, for some reason it won't let me post the picture, so I linked it.)

http://www.flickr.co...N08/6129079322/

I have another version that I like a little more, again for some reason Im unable to have the graphic show on here so I will once again provide a link. I welcome any comments or ideas!

http://www.flickr.co...N08/6128610883/

Both are excellent. I would wear one with pride. Seems odd to say it that way, but I would- pride in the community's response, hope for those left behind, and in memory of those gone beyond.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#364 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:04 AM

IDK if it was just me, but at Hockeyfest today Kindl still looked pretty upset. He looked very rough and weary, wasn't very talkative, and had to have smiles coaxed out of him. I felt so bad for him. :((((

I know with certainty that this hit him very hard, and it is going to take a while to heal. I have a feeling he and Pasha both are going to be hard pressed to keep their minds on the game, and will be rather subdued next weekend. For those of us who will be there, a kind word passed on can't hurt.
Posted Image

#365 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

god, all of those coffins..
Posted Image

#366 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nhl-wp12228

"The KHL followed that news announcing that going forward the opening game of the season between the Gagarin Cup champions and runners-up will be for the Lokomotiv Cup. On Monday, Salavat Yulaev and Atlant -- who were playing at the time of the crash before the game was abandoned -- will play for the first Lokomotiv Cup."

#367 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

http://video.redwing...id=-6&id=122556

Tribute video for Salei. R.I.P. Ruslan... :(
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#368 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

:crybaby:

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Better than Ever

#369 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Fitting tribute.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#370 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Link

Article confirming that Lokomotiv will not play this year. Seems right. Thanks for the link to the pictures Loo. Heartbreaking still.

So what are the chances of them actually playing another game ever again? With the way they were talking about each team giving a player and the team playing this year and now a couple days later the news they won't play, I think the owner(s) can't come up with the cash to pay everyone out as well as fund operating expenses and will end up declaring bankruptcy. Teams fold all the time in the KHL under much less financial strain than losing your entire team, the plane, and all the equipment on-board would cause.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Lokomotiv waits a few months for everything to calm down and then announces they're ceasing operations. I hope for the fans of yaroslavl that I'm wrong, but I have no faith in KHL executives.

#371 puckloo39

puckloo39

• HoF Booster
  • 21,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

I expect you may be right, 13GoWings40. And I am not sure it isn't for the best. I also am sorry for the fans there.

Thousands attend a Mass memorial in Prague Square for the Czech players killed in the crash. This site is usually where the fans are celebrating their team's victories:

The [Czech Hockey] federation announced that the players' national team jersey numbers — 4 (Rachunek), 15 (Marek) and 63 (Vasicek) — will be retired.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi...p#ixzz1Xf7jt9Qo

Edited by puckloo39, 11 September 2011 - 11:35 AM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

Better than Ever

#372 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Seems right somehow doesn't it?
Posted Image

#373 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

2 minute video of the Czech memorial. Patrick Elias broke my heart. :(

link

#374 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Even though it has been a few days this story is still very sad especially for the families.

#375 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:27 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/IIHFHockey

Russian agencies and the Russian Hockey Federation confirm the death of the ony surviving Lokomotiv Yaroslavl player, Alexander Galimov. RIP

#376 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

Here's another article on the same.

Sad, sad day. The optimist in me had such hope that he'd make it. :(

#377 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

Got NHL 12 and Salei was still listed on our team :(. Also the #1 rated free agent was Wade Belak. :no:

Edited by PrairieDawg, 12 September 2011 - 07:58 AM.

#378 redwingslady87

redwingslady87

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Yes wingnut40. Him and Datsyuk both looked like their hearts and minds were else where. Kindle from what I saw would only look up to acknowledge the person he was signing for, and then look down again.

#379 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

So what are the chances of them actually playing another game ever again? With the way they were talking about each team giving a player and the team playing this year and now a couple days later the news they won't play, I think the owner(s) can't come up with the cash to pay everyone out as well as fund operating expenses and will end up declaring bankruptcy. Teams fold all the time in the KHL under much less financial strain than losing your entire team, the plane, and all the equipment on-board would cause.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Lokomotiv waits a few months for everything to calm down and then announces they're ceasing operations. I hope for the fans of yaroslavl that I'm wrong, but I have no faith in KHL executives.

I'd say the chances of Lokomotiv playing next year are very good.
New players will be wearing red and green next year, the club infrastructure (including a modern 10 yr old arena) is still there, the owner (National Railroad Co.) is rich, and its not like the team was a profit center before, its revenue usually covered no more than a third of the expense anyway.
The KHL promised to take over the payroll for the new players, so Lokomotiv can continue paying the salaries of the fallen to their families. The Russian president got personally involved in this and there's no way the team folds now.

And KHL brass is way, way more trustworthy and professional than is standard for sports management in Russia. Fetisov is playing a leading role. Do you not trust him either?

#380 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yes wingnut40. Him and Datsyuk both looked like their hearts and minds were else where. Kindle from what I saw would only look up to acknowledge the person he was signing for, and then look down again.

Ok, so it wasn't just me. I wanted to ask him if he was OK but I didn't want to make him sadder by bringing it back up. :( Poor little thing needed a hug.
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.