• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#61 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

Just saw on Twitter that Belarusian media has confirmed that Salei WAS on the plane... :(

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#62 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

https://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud/statuses/111450567502594048

Absolutely unreal. Salei *was* confirmed on board, according to Belorussian news sources. Beyond Tragic.

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#63 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

I hope it's true that atleast Salei wasn't on the plane. But even that would be a small comfort because this is absolutely horrible.

I've sometimes thought about how much hockey teams fly back and forth and feared something like this would happen, but it's still kind of unthinkable..

Damn, Stefan Liv, Brad Mccrimmon, Pavol Demitra.. and so many others :(

edit: so Salei was onboard as well.. f***.. I want to throw up.

Edited by dat's sick, 07 September 2011 - 10:00 AM.

#64 DesertWing

DesertWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud

It is official now. Belarusian news agencies report that Ruslan Salei was on board the flight.

#65 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Just saw on Twitter that Belarusian media has confirmed that Salei WAS on the plane... :(

So much for that glimmer of hope... this is unreal...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#66 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

Tragic. :(

#67 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

This has been a very very tragic off season for hockey. There will be a lot of heavy hearts in the league this year. I wonder how many patches the NHL will allow certain teams to wear.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#68 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

News report on the Belorussians being on the flight.

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#69 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

Brad McCrimmon confirmed dead.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#70 dat's sick

dat's sick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

This has been a very very tragic off season for hockey. There will be a lot of heavy hearts in the league this year. I wonder how many patches the NHL will allow certain teams to wear.

For sure this will be extra hard on many Detroit players and staff. McCrimmon, Salei and even Liv..

#71 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

The fact that this doesn't happen more often is rather astonishing if you think about how many professional sports teams there are in the world, and how often they have to fly.

Is this the first time since the Marshall tragedy that something like this happened?

#72 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

Are we 100% confirmed that Salei was on the plane?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#73 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

The fact that this doesn't happen more often is rather astonishing if you think about how many professional sports teams there are in the world, and how often they have to fly.

Is this the first time since the Marshall tragedy that something like this happened?

Oklahoma State basketball team several years ago

#74 DesertWing

DesertWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

There was the Oklahoma State basketball crash not too long ago.

Uncomfirmed reports that Galimov isn't going to survive due to the extent of his burns.

Edited by DesertWing, 07 September 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#75 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

Jesus... Galimov survived the crash, but with burns to 80% of his body. Send your hopes and prayers that he makes it, at least.

#76 RedArmy

RedArmy

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Are we 100% confirmed that Salei was on the plane?

I don't think we are. Belarussian reporting that Russia claims he was on the list of passengers, but other are reporting he flew out earlier to be with his family... so no one knows for sure yet...

#77 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

What a tragedy - thoughts, and prayers to all the family, and friends...It is amazing how safe air travel has been for so many years.

That said - these airlines have gotta get those older Soviet era aircraft outta their fleets.

Edited by F.Michael, 07 September 2011 - 10:18 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#78 dat's sick

dat's sick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Uncomfirmed reports that Galimov isn't going to survive due to the extent of his burns.

Looking at the photos of the crash site it'd be a complete miracle if anyone survives. Actually it's a miracle that they managed to find two (?) people still alive.

I hope he makes it, even though his life will obviously never be the same even if he does..

#79 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

I don't think we are. Belarussian reporting that Russia claims he was on the list of passengers, but other are reporting he flew out earlier to be with his family... so no one knows for sure yet...

I would think that if Salei WASN'T on the plane, he would have contacted someone by now (or someone would have contacted him).

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#80 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud

Russian Emergency Ministry is saying Salei was on board.

Galimov didn't survive.

Galimov didn't survive.

I'm sorry, I misread - Galimov burns are "fatal", but he hasn't died yet. Fight, man... fight.