• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

So since we're all bored with the offseason and I need something to take my mind off today's tragedy, I wanted to discuss our greatest playoff victories over the last 15 years. I personally would rank them in the order the poll options are in, with the '97 cup win being the best. What do you think was our greatest series win? (define "greatest" in whatever terms you want)

#2 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

I was a little younger during the 90's series, but the 2002 Colorado series will be etched into my brain for the rest of my life. I've never been so emotionally invested into a series and when they beat them it felt like we had already won the cup.

#3 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

Detroit/Colorado 2002.

One of the best playoff series ever.

Posted Image

#4 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Wings vs Nordilanche for 7 fun filled memorable games. Patrick getting pulled and sung out of Joe Louis Arena one game after the statue of liberty play. All after that horrifying game 5 OT loss at JLA when Shanahan missed a yawning net and Flopsberg scored to put Denver up 3-2

Detroit; Bringing class and honor back to the Eastern Conference since 2013

14361232487_e1fbf33701.jpg

#5 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

02 Aves was amazing. The rivalry had been marinating for more than 5 seasons by this point and it was awesome to come out on top against them.

97 will always have a very special place in my heart, however. Being a kid and a huge Wings fan and being allowed to stay up to watch the game and celebrate will be something I'll never forget.
Posted Image

#6 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

I didn't realize this was debatable.

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

Easily the Colorado series in 2002. I've never been so nervous for any games, including Cup Final games. Seven straight nerve wracking games. I knew we had to win that series to save face, after losing to them in 1999 and 2000.

The other choices were big wins for Detroit, but two of them were sweeps and not all that competitive. The St. Louis series was great, but the Colorado one was just better, minus the game 7 blowout. The game 7 against St. Louis was as good a game as I've ever seen.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:57 PM

So since we're all bored with the offseason and I need something to take my mind off today's tragedy, I wanted to discuss our greatest playoff victories over the last 15 years. I personally would rank them in the order the poll options are in, with the '97 cup win being the best. What do you think was our greatest series win? (define "greatest" in whatever terms you want)

I agree with Doc - Detroit/Colorado was epic. What was great about the Detroit/Philly series was winning the Cup; the series itself was comparatively boring.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

What about our win against Columbus in 2009?

That was epic. :hehe:

#10 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

just to add to what you guys are all saying...

that 02 Avs series was everything and more. I cried when they lost game 5 </3

#11 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

Right? Oh that game 4, so close lol.

This poll is a little more lopsided than I though it was gonna be. I thought more than just me would vote for the first cup win. However, I wanna say that in my own life (I was 7 in '97), 2002 against Colorado was by far the most exciting. I still have to give the nod to '97 though. I mean other than '94 to the Rangers, who has overcome a longer win-less streak?

#12 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Maybe this doesn't make me a "die hard" fan but I'm not as much of a "competitive series" sort of guy like some of you guys on here. I voted for the Flyers series with no hesitation. I would much, much rather watch the Wings dominate a supposedly superior opponent. Especially since, at that time, the Flyers were supposed to run over the Red Wings. It was awesome to watch the Wings outsmart and outwill the Flyers in four games.

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

Maybe this doesn't make me a "die hard" fan but I'm not as much of a "competitive series" sort of guy like some of you guys on here. I voted for the Flyers series with no hesitation. I would much, much rather watch the Wings dominate a supposedly superior opponent. Especially since, at that time, the Flyers were supposed to run over the Red Wings. It was awesome to watch the Wings outsmart and outwill the Flyers in four games.

I'd much rather watch dominance as well.

However, those series aren't as memorable as the competitive ones which have lots of ups and downs.

BTW, if we beat San Jose last year in game 7, I have no doubt most people would have voted for that. It's a shame.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 September 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#14 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'd much rather watch dominance as well.

However, those series aren't as memorable as the competitive ones which have lots of ups and downs.

BTW, if we beat San Jose last year in game 7, I have no doubt most people would have voted for that. It's a shame.

Well for me the Flyers series is more memorable to me than the 2002 Avs series. It just is. Can't fully explain why. I mean, I wish they had a view where you could just watch Lidstrom and Murphy at work. To me that footage should be viewed by every young puck moving defensemen along with other examples as well.

The San Jose series? Maybe. I mostly remember being pissed the f*** off, haha. Not as pissed as San Jose 2010 but still.

#15 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:09 PM

It was great if you live in Columbus. Everyone was very excited, maybe a little too sure of themselves because of an earlier 8-2 win. I would just say, "regular season?" and laugh. I'm glad we swept them, but I'd rather we didn't play them at all that year. Jacket fans deserve a win.

I voted other. 1997 WCF vs. Avalanche has to be mine. They were our biggest enemy, and had we lost the next round I would not feel this strongly, but they were the ones we had to overcome. The "tough" series where we had to grind out wins, and a lot of those games weren't close (Shanny's empty netter in Game 6 was the loudest I thought I'd ever scream for an empty net goal until a little over 5 years later. You know the one. Thanks again Shanny). It was just so satisfying to redeem ourselves. Especially after the year before, when my favorite goal ever was scored in Game 7 vs. St. Louis, and I thought we could take a breath again.

I still watch Game 6 highlight over and over. Outside of a finals game, that was so epic.

But that's what we get for letting a close series get to 0-3 two years in a row.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#16 evil204

evil204

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:09 PM

How about Anaheim in 09?

#17 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

I voted other. 1997 WCF vs. Avalanche has to be mine. They were our biggest enemy, and had we lost the next round I would not feel this strongly, but they were the ones we had to overcome. The "tough" series where we had to grind out wins, and a lot of those games weren't close (Shanny's empty netter in Game 6 was the loudest I thought I'd ever scream for an empty net goal until a little over 5 years later. You know the one. Thanks again Shanny). It was just so satisfying to redeem ourselves. Especially after the year before, when my favorite goal ever was scored in Game 7 vs. St. Louis, and I thought we could take a breath again.

Definitely my favorite goal of that series. It just screamed, "We won't be denied!"

Plus anytime you can really own Patrick Roy with a goal is a bonus as well.

#18 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

How about Anaheim in 09?

I lost my friggin mind when Cleary scored in Game 7. I was in front of strangers, I didn't care.

Cleary's goal

Definitely my favorite goal of that series. It just screamed, "We won't be denied!"

Plus anytime you can really own Patrick Roy with a goal is a bonus as well.

Agreed, but McCarty's breakaway at the end I think really put a statement at the end of that game. 15 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#19 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

How about Anaheim in 09?

That series just pissed me off the whole time and I don't look back on it fondly. No way that should have gone 7 games. Plus, Brad Watson is a huge moron. Also, how was Pronger allowed to literally wrestle Hossa to the ice right in front of the ref? Plus that series really brought out the worst in Franzen. Not production-wise but rather his tendency to really embellish.

#20 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

just to add to what you guys are all saying...

that 02 Avs series was everything and more. I cried when they lost game 5 </3

That was my first game at the Joe & I was pissed when they lost it. Even more pissed off though when an asshat a suit made a few comments about the Wings losing as I made my way through the hotel lobby after the walk back. Needless to say his buddies quickly shut him up though after they started to look around & saw a lobby full of Wings jerseys.