• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,489 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

I voted "other". As epic as the 02 series was with Colorado, I have to go with beating them in six in 97. Finally getting over the hump. The finals win against Philly just seemed like desert.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

I agree, all these series' have been epic, but I voted for other...I go back to 1997, 2nd round vs. the Mighty Ducks. Sure it was a 4 game sweep, but games 1, 2 and 4 were OT games. Game two was a triple overtime and game 4 was a double overtime. That series was a defining moment in the Wings history and I remember the Anaheim crowd chanting USA USA USA in game 3 when the Russian 5 were on the ice, although their goalie, Mikhail Shtalenkov was Russian which had to baffle him a little. That chant quickly disappeared when the Russian 5 dominated the ducks single-handedly. They tallied 10 of the 13 points scored that night by the Red Wings including three points each by Fedorov, Kozlov and Konstantinov. Larionov tallied a goal as well... I still maintain 1997 was the most complete team and greatest Stanley Cup victory of the four I have been privileged to be alive for!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#23 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

In terms of just matchups and results alone, I'd go with Colorado 2002 series. So much talent on both rosters and those rosters showed their talents and results more often than not, going the distance. Even as a neutral observer (and while the series was still heated per se, I don't think tempers flew as much as the late 90s), it was as probably entertaining as you an get.

Detroit-Philly in 1997 gets a close second as the Wings did plenty with less that series not being the favorites.

In terms of significance or importance, Detroit-Philly by a heartbeat since it was the 1st Cup in 42 years for the Wings at the time.

#24 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

That series just pissed me off the whole time and I don't look back on it fondly. No way that should have gone 7 games. Plus, Brad Watson is a huge moron. Also, how was Pronger allowed to literally wrestle Hossa to the ice right in front of the ref? Plus that series really brought out the worst in Franzen. Not production-wise but rather his tendency to really embellish.

Yeah this is how I feel about that series.

I remember being terrified when Cleary scored because I was sure the refs would find a way to take that goal away from us.

Plus the stuff they were letting Pronger get away with was ridiculous. The Hossa wrestle was unbelievable, and he started it off with a double punch to Hossa's temple driving his head into the boards. Grr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3F966bXC74

Edited by hooon, 08 September 2011 - 12:38 PM.

Posted Image

#25 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Tough choice but I said Philly in '97. I just remember the atmosphere around Michigan and we were Wing nuts. I fondly remember Kroger in my town removing all of the philly cream cheese from the shelves in support of the Red Wings; sandwich shops stopped serving philly cheese steaks. Everywhere you went it was Red and White. I haven't seen that much devotion to the Red Wings since. In this day and age large companies like Kroger wouldn't dream of pulling a stunt like that.

#26 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

As significant as the win in '97 was, I can't help but think that the WCF in '02 against Colorado was the most intense playoff series I have ever watched. Both teams had unbelievable talent, and aside from the blowout in game 7 every game was very closely contested. How many future hall-of-famers were involved in that series? The only reason that this is not a no-brainer for me is that the Avs series was not for the Cup, but all things considered my vote has to go to the '02 Colorado series.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#27 Free_Candy

Free_Candy

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

Detroit/Colorado rivalry is one of my all time favorites.

/rooted for Detroit
"It's a great day for hockey." -- Badger

#28 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

Tough choice but I said Philly in '97. I just remember the atmosphere around Michigan and we were Wing nuts. I fondly remember Kroger in my town removing all of the philly cream cheese from the shelves in support of the Red Wings; sandwich shops stopped serving philly cheese steaks. Everywhere you went it was Red and White. I haven't seen that much devotion to the Red Wings since. In this day and age large companies like Kroger wouldn't dream of pulling a stunt like that.

Agreed, I wish the city still got as excited about the Wings as it did then. It's gotta be that we're just spoiled with all the success we've had. I remember during the '02 COL series a car dealership on 14 and Mound painted a wings logo on a brand new red Chevy Colorado and let you hit it with a sledge hammer for $1 (I believe the money was then donated to charity). Or that same year when 94.7 pulled all songs with the words "Carolina" or "hurricane" in them. It just seems to me that no one really gets all that excited about the Wings anymore, I even have a hard time finding people who consistently watch games anymore.

#29 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

Yeah this is how I feel about that series.

I remember being terrified when Cleary scored because I was sure the refs would find a way to take that goal away from us.

Plus the stuff they were letting Pronger get away with was ridiculous. The Hossa wrestle was unbelievable, and he started it off with a double punch to Hossa's temple driving his head into the boards. Grr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3F966bXC74

I'm glad my internet connection sucks right now because I told myself I wouldn't click it and then I did but it wouldn't load. I remember Pronger in that series way too well...

:ranting:

f***in' idiot.

#30 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

the 2002 Colorado series will be etched into my brain for the rest of my life. I've never been so emotionally invested into a series and when they beat them it felt like we had already won the cup.

Me too! What a great series! No salary cap either, so teams could load up on talent.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#31 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

2002 with 1997 coming in as a close second.

#32 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

Definitely my favorite goal of that series. It just screamed, "We won't be denied!"

Plus anytime you can really own Patrick Roy with a goal is a bonus as well.

Haha, Scotty left Barry Smith hanging at 1:05. Scotty has ice in his veins for real, man.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#33 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

I voted for 02. I was only 13 then and probably didn't understand the intricacies of the game like I do now, but I just remember my stomach being in knots the entire time, even on non-game days. Man we hated the Avs so much then. It was a rivalry that I haven't seen duplicated with any other teams since. It felt so good to take them down and go on to win the cup. It was the last major chapter on the rivalry and it was what left us on top.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#34 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

Easily the Colorado series in 2002. I've never been so nervous for any games, including Cup Final games. Seven straight nerve wracking games. I knew we had to win that series to save face, after losing to them in 1999 and 2000.

The other choices were big wins for Detroit, but two of them were sweeps and not all that competitive. The St. Louis series was great, but the Colorado one was just better, minus the game 7 blowout. The game 7 against St. Louis was as good a game as I've ever seen.

Sounds very, very familier....
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#35 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Sounds very, very familier....

Lose in 1996
Beat Colorado in 1997
Lose in 1999 & 2000 (Difference of 2-3 years)
Beat Colorado in 2002 (Difference of 2 years)

Beat San Jose in 1995
Beat San Jose in 2007
Lose in 2010 & 2011 (Difference of 3-4 years)
Beat San Jose in 2014???

1999 still baffles me. My emotions will never allow me to fully understand what happened there. No matter how many times I try to tell myself it was most likely the goaltending I always revert back to, "But they were up 2-0 and the series was moving on to the Joe..." Ugh... That series to this day still pisses me off a little bit as a Red Wings fan.

#36 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Easily the Colorado series in 2002. I've never been so nervous for any games, including Cup Final games. Seven straight nerve wracking games.

For whatever reason, I wasn't stressed about that series at all. I knew no one would beat the Wings 4 times in 7 games. They were an all star team, they were just too good to lose. Sure somebody could get lucky and win a few games, but this team wasn't getting eliminated.

I went with "Other" with the 2008 Finals in mind. THAT was nerve wracking. At least for me anyways. For good back and forth series.

#37 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Lose in 1996
Beat Colorado in 1997
Lose in 1999 & 2000 (Difference of 2-3 years)
Beat Colorado in 2002 (Difference of 2 years)

Beat San Jose in 1995
Beat San Jose in 2007
Lose in 2010 & 2011 (Difference of 3-4 years)
Beat San Jose in 2014???

1999 still baffles me. My emotions will never allow me to fully understand what happened there. No matter how many times I try to tell myself it was most likely the goaltending I always revert back to, "But they were up 2-0 and the series was moving on to the Joe..." Ugh... That series to this day still pisses me off a little bit as a Red Wings fan.

Yeah, Yzerman was a best in those playoffs and it looked like Detroit was well on their way to a 3-peat. They didn't just lose the next four games, but were completely embarrassed.

I feel that Dallas was a better match up for us than Colorado. Buffalo would have been no problem in the Finals either. But Colorado was the big hurdle for us. I guess I still feel bad about that year too.

For whatever reason, I wasn't stressed about that series at all. I knew no one would beat the Wings 4 times in 7 games. They were an all star team, they were just too good to lose. Sure somebody could get lucky and win a few games, but this team wasn't getting eliminated.

I went with "Other" with the 2008 Finals in mind. THAT was nerve wracking. At least for me anyways. For good back and forth series.

You weren't stressed when we were down 3-2 going back to Colorado?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#38 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

No kidding, I was on the verge of puking for three days straight until we put the hammer down to finish out that series.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#39 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

How about Anaheim in 09?

For me that series as well and I do remeber all those series mentioned by the topic starter.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#40 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Not really, no. I feel like Colorado shouldn't have won Game 5, Forsberg was so far offsides it was ridiculous, and like I said that team was just too talented to lose. Beating any team the 4th time is always the hardest so I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to eliminate that Wings team. They ended up winning the last two games by a combined score of 9-0. It was the only time I wasn't stressed out during the playoffs. I just knew that there wasn't a team out there that could beat this Wings team 4 times in 7 games, it just wasn't going to happen.